Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Industry General

- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 20:31:01 EST dwDIx+wx No.43155
File: 1496449861063.png -(236859B / 231.31KB, 792x1782) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Industry General
What do y'all think of the direct market system? Everything I've seen recently seems to show it's pretty outdated and doomed to fall apart. Particularly way shops have to gamble with their preorders and the way shops in general get fucked over except by trades but it's the preorders that determine what doesn't get cancelled.

On that note, is it really true that digital sales have a much smaller impact on what series make the cut? That seems ridiculous, is the digital market just too new to be dependable?

Also, do a lot of people here actually go to physical comic shops? I haven't been in one in years but my preference has always been for trades and online for stuff I'm impatient for. I can see how a lot of people have nostalgia for the shops but I don't think they'll exist in their current form for long. I always hear about how much comic shops are struggling and continuing just out of passion for the comics. Digital is just too convenient.
>>
Nigel Puttingledge - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 05:26:26 EST JcEbjX7X No.43158 Reply
all the comic shops in my area closed up one by one over the years. it's unfortunate. I think in the future comics will eventually work on digital subscription basis. either for access to a publisher's entire library, a portion of it, or to currently running series. maybe a tiered system offering one or more of those setup. we're a ways off and the industry will resist it, but I think that's where we're headed. digital distribution and the death of serial print comics, though I think physical collected volumes will still be made.
>>
Martha Chosslemane - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 09:31:53 EST A0r8/Vkf No.43159 Reply
>>43158
I hear the Marvel app offers unlimited access to a huge portion of their older comics, with only newish stuff being pay by the issue.

For OP, I pirate all my comics. Sucks for the industry, but I do pay for merch for some of my favs, so they need to learn to be happy for whatever they get from my broke ass. If I ever get above the poverty line and have some free cash laying about, maybe I'll actually pay for some comics. Until then, piracy is the new opiate of the poor masses. I just need free entertainment to keep me from realizing I'm alive between shifts at work.
>>
Tony Montana - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 21:44:28 EST CPqdkIMU No.43163 Reply
1496627068152.jpg -(191280B / 186.80KB, 1200x885) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
'Been reading Gantz G. So far I don't know know how it fits chronologically but it tells the story of some high schoolers who got to play the hunting alien game with Gantz.

I like the tension mostly between the characters because it reminds me of my high school days, except less violent and over the top, but it's there.

Gantz' creator did the story for this one but it's another guy who draws it.

I like it.
>>
Tony Montana - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 21:45:21 EST CPqdkIMU No.43164 Reply
>>43163

Disregard my post. I was supposed to post it in another thread.
>>
Beatrice Sommerford - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 22:20:54 EST ysuNYfxQ No.43165 Reply
>>43159
Marvel Unlimited gets comics 6 months after they’re released. They also have most of the classic stuff.
About my buying habits, pretty much the same as you. I have a pull list of books I really like and want to support, but the rest I get from the hubs.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.