Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Over Training?

- Fri, 02 Jun 2017 06:45:43 EST /rcMjngy No.94203
File: 1496400343285.jpg -(115398B / 112.69KB, 560x569) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Over Training?
I am worried I may be over training, but not sure if I am or not.

I have been weight-lifting seriously now for 5-6 months and have made some decent gains I would say. (on a side note, my weight barely has changed but I have lost fat for sure, so I assume fat has gone and muscle has come?) Anyway I work out normally 4-5 times a week, and I exercise for 40-60 minutes usually. However I do around 22-28 sets of 8-12 reps within that time. I feel this may be a little bit too much for a beginner?

When I started I was able to workout an hour every single session and even felt like I could keep going but chose not to. I have had 2 colds in the past 2 months which is rare for me, so I am wondering if I am putting too much stress on my body?

Lastly aside from a solid diet of vitamins and nutrients, what supplements would be good for boosting the immune system after working out hard in the gym?
>>
Betsy Nuddleman - Fri, 02 Jun 2017 18:37:19 EST FhJoYnv4 No.94205 Reply
this is common knowledge but I have to remind myself constant: eat BIG

Im not the kind of guy to eat a lot by default but when working out every day eating big and not being too stingy on the carbs really helps.

fish oil for your joints. Maybe DAA for higher test (if youre not prone to gyno)
>>
Samuel Turveyfield - Tue, 06 Jun 2017 15:07:38 EST F/adbwiG No.94215 Reply
signs of over training are

>waking up without an erection
>waking up tired
>low gym performance
>mood swings
>>
John Bardcocke - Tue, 06 Jun 2017 18:10:03 EST uHv1zjLv No.94216 Reply
>>94215
Those are also signs of depression. Not sleeping enough. Poor diet. Hormonal imbalance. Iron deficiencies and a lot of other shit.
>>
James Gungerfield - Thu, 08 Jun 2017 13:36:25 EST 5DK+Z24T No.94222 Reply
>>94218
You are technically correct. But it's pretty fucking rare. Anything can cause depression.

What I'm getting at is that one should look at all of those as causes. OP should try reducing his training a bit but also look at other things. I do more exercise than OP and I feel great. I am not super fit but I'm in pretty good shape, I've been doing this for years but I am not very focused (or rather my focus is not on being super fit/swole but just compensating for my lifestyle and maybe a bit more) and I doubt OP is that far behind me. He's probably also a bit younger and not prone to asthma (something I admittedly don't really get affected by so much now and one of the reasons I do a lot of cardio) and poor sleep like I am. And also it's not all weights.
>>
Edwin Bredgeridge - Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:09:37 EST Pe99UprR No.94224 Reply
>>94203

I tried to do 2 to 3 exercises per body part with 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps for every exercise. And I've been lifting for a few years.

ex.
Monday (of course)
chest
1 - flat bench 3x8 reps
2 - incline bench 4x 8-12 reps
3 - 3 x 15 flies

tris
1 - overhead extensions 4x8
2 - kickbacks 3x10-15 reps

Some shit like that. Throw in extra if you want. If you're feeling like you're overdoing it, don't be afraid to tone it down. Do something simpler and just add stuff in on the fly as you're in the gym IF you want to.
>>
Thomas Blopperbat - Fri, 09 Jun 2017 05:10:30 EST V28MO2Xg No.94225 Reply
>>94222
We are all different and have MANY variables that make up our well being. I am OP btw. For example I have psoriasis which is an auto immune disorder, this can have some effects. I also had bronchitis when I was 12 years old and ever since then the doctor said to me that I have scar lung tissue, and when I get a cold or infection it will be heavy and long lasting. (I got wet in the rain when I was 12 playing outside, and decided to stay outside with wet clothes all day lol)

But yeah there could be so many other causes. I think I have been over training though, I have since pulled back my workouts to 3-4 times a week and feeling a bit better. Also it should be noted I work out in a gym where the temperature is 30-35 degrees daily as an outdoor temp, and there is no AC only fans. When I finish I am literally covered in sweat, and I ride a motorbike home. I noticed that of course my soaking wet clothes were instantly cold against my skin, so I have started to take a change of shirts to ride home with.

My diet is on point but I have started taking whey protein and drinking 1-2 litres of milk a day for protein seeing some good gains man! But I have never really drank milk often at all in the past and I am kind of thinking I may be lactose intolerant.

haha what I am saying is, as you have, there can be many many factors as to why I was feeling that way, and it was probably many different reasons, 1 of which I feel was over training.
>>
Thomas Blopperbat - Fri, 09 Jun 2017 05:15:06 EST V28MO2Xg No.94226 Reply
>>94224
I worked out chest and triceps today. I did

1. bench press 7 x 8-12 reps

2. incline dumbbell bench press 5 x 8-10 reps

3. superset of sitting on the bench and having 1 dumbbell behind me working triceps, along with bench dips right after x 4

4. Then I did tricep pull downs on a cable 4 x 10 reps

5. Then close grip bench press 4 x 12 reps

6. and finally diamond push ups 3 x 15 reps

I think as I said in the post above, there are many variables as to why I felt bad. I think one is that as someone said back in the thread I was not eating enough. Then lack of quality sleep lately has been annoying, but I have had a back / shoulder injury for a while which probably has added to shoddy sleep, riding home from the gym with wet clothes etc etc, AND over training.
>>
Cedric Pebblefore - Fri, 09 Jun 2017 22:16:08 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94231 Reply
1497060968944.jpg -(137609B / 134.38KB, 872x782) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
You're not over training, you're recovering enough by lack of food and probably sleep. Your weight should not be staying the same...this simply means you're not eating enough to put on any real muscle. Stop being scared of putting on weight, it's easy to take off once you gain muscle. I'm starting to feel a bit chubby? at times but it's worth it seeing the results in getting. You're basically just burning calories at this point with little muscle gains. Eat more.
>>
Caroline Goddlehin - Fri, 09 Jun 2017 23:43:50 EST V28MO2Xg No.94232 Reply
>>94231
I will tell you what I ate yesterday and let me know if you think it is too little because I;m not sure.

2 bananas + milk + whey protein blended together

chicken breast + boiled potato, squash, broccoli, carrots, bulgar and slices of brown bread

2 bananas + milk + whey protein blended together

1 litre of milk plus 100g dark chocolate (90% coco)

wwatermelon slices and some chips
>>
Hannah Pockway - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 05:15:13 EST Q087XJEm No.94233 Reply
>>94232
Dude, count your calories. Half that shit is meaningless without weights.

How much do you exercise? What do you weight?

It might be a little too little. Also drop 3 bananas. Eat an apple as those are the most nutritious of fruit. You eat one solid meal a day also. Stop that. And you eat shit tonnes of milk. Like... I don't buy into the "cut out lactose and gluten" fad but that's a lot. There are other sources of calcium. I'm not saying drop the milk but you drink what? A litre and a half a day? You could cut most of that and if you have an good mixed diet will get the calcium elsewhere (an orange has a fair amount, some nuts and beans do, if you have fish with edible bones they obviously do!)

You have a decent number of vegetables and your choice of treat (dark chocolate) is good. I suspect you're under eating honestly. Maybe replace the excess shakes and milk with egg, nuts, beans? If you're not on the cheap (and that looks like a fairly well budgeted diet) I'd say fit some fish in to replace some of that whey. This will all boost your calories to protein ratio so check what's going in and out. I'm guessing you're around 1800-2200 calories per day going in and around 2200-2800 going out depending how much walking you do and how physical your work is.

I work an office job, I walk 3 miles a day and weight 80KG give or take, spend as much time at the gym as you and I do cardio 3 times a week I reckon I burn 2500-2800 calories per day most days. When I'm trying to lose weight I eat slightly less than you (mostly cutting out the brown bread, potato, the crisps and the bananas and milk, lot more chicken though) I can lose a kilo a week. However I only do that if I've had a couple of weeks of eating what the fuck I want on holiday and need to lose weight. If I drop below 77-78KG I REALLY unambiguously notice a drop in energy and strength and by that point if I wanted to further lower my body fat I'd have to reduce the net loss by half or maybe more to feel okay. I usually don't go long enough without a night drinking and hitting kebabs, a 24 hour video game and cake session (with friends) or visiting my mum (lives near a bunch of artisan bakeries and cheese makers) but if I'm not about to binge I put my intake up at that point to just not feel shit.

My workout is 3 days of 28 sets (8-12 reps mostly) (plus I've started doing one legged squats while cooking dinner at home, though I've just started 2 weeks ago and have only gone from 3x3 to 4x5 so far). 3 days of high intensity cardio. On my "off day" I do a shit load of core exercises walking. I am about to turn 32 OP. I think as the other guy said it's probably down to diet and sleep.

TLDR: Count calories in and out and the answer is probably plain as day. Start with your "laying in bed all day" calories burned for your weight and age and work out how much exercise you do like walking daily. There's a little more, maybe 50-200 calories for just being awake and thinking and all the stuff you don't even consider but I think adding 50/rounding to the next 100 whichever is more will do it. Then work out what you eat. Look at the difference.
>>
Caroline Goddlehin - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:49:42 EST V28MO2Xg No.94234 Reply
>>94233
Hey thanks for the detailed reply!

I weigh in at 87KG right now, 181cm tall and 29 years old. My exercises are really intense, I always leave the gym totally soaked in sweat, and a typical chest and triceps workout for me is above ^^^ At the moment I will workout
day 1. chest and triceps,
day 2. then legs the next day,
day 3. rest,
day 4. biceps and back,
day 5. rest again,
day 6. back around to the start of my routine.

Today I ate differently. I ate an entire rotisserie chicken again with the bulgar, potato and veg all boiled. I had the whey protein and banana blended up in the morning, but in the afternoon I had some oats, milk, honey and strawberries.

Tomorrow I will start counting up m calories and see where I stand from there. I have out on like 0.8KG in 2 days by the way lol. Last week I had almost a 1KG drop in weight over the course of 3 days as well, and then started eating more calories as it is something someone pointed out in this thread. You're probably more ripped than me as you are around 7KG lighter, and I am guessing not too much shorter in height.
>>
Cedric Pebblefore - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 13:05:05 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94235 Reply
>>94232
Too little just by estimating calories...you seriously need to start tracking them and guess your calorie expenditure to figure out a surplus
>>
Cedric Pebblefore - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 13:08:07 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94236 Reply
>>94234
Just noticed how much weight you're losing, you obviously are eating way too little
>>
>>
Jack Blossleford - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 22:48:35 EST V28MO2Xg No.94238 Reply
>>94236
Yeah I thought I was eating too little. Since Is started boosting the calories up the scales started to stabilise and head upwards. As said previously up in the thread, it is simply calories in and calories out, I was burning more than I was consuming
>>
Jack Blossleford - Sun, 11 Jun 2017 04:07:40 EST V28MO2Xg No.94243 Reply
>>94238
I just totted up my calories up until 3pm today, and I thought surely it should be on like 2,000, but no, only at 1,600! It is true that people think they are eating more than they are. I need to find myself another 1k calories today, but healthy calories. No wonder I have been feeling like shit working out balls to the wall on that many calories
>>
Alice Finderkod - Sun, 11 Jun 2017 06:10:24 EST Q087XJEm No.94244 Reply
>>94234
I'm actually a tiny bit taller than you. I used to weigh a lot more so I cannot be ripped due to skin but my waistline is about 31-33 inches when i'm 78-82KG. I've been doing this for a while but as I said I'm not pursuing bigger muscles, I reckon my lean weight has risen by about 1KG per year though.

Weight will bounce due to water retention/what you last ate. While I'm crazy and track it several times a week first thing in the morning (after a drink of water and a shit) I look for the trend. I eat differently at weekends so when I run a 1000 calorie deficit my weight goes up over a KG on saturday and drops 2 over the next 5 or 6 days. Particularly on cardio days. If you eat 1000 calories more in carbs that's 250g, but that will pull in another 500g of water. Suddenly you're up a pound even though actually in the long run you'll store maybe 135g of fat as a result.

I would measure portions or the amount per pack and average it over a few days. Make sure you're certain. Sorry if that sounds hard, I'm an accountant so budgeting and apportioning is my bread and butter (chicken and brocolli really)

People have different levels of under and over estimating people. If you see someone slim they usually over estimate, fat people usually under estimate. A mile is about 105-110 calories at a normal walking pace for you by the way. 1KG of fat is 7000 kcal hence why a 1000 calorie deficit will drop a kilo a week. Such a weight loss is pretty easy to maintain when you're obese so it may have been fine before. Muscle is actually less calorific so you could be burning fat and building muscle to some extent and maintaining weight but the less fat you have the harder this gets and the more tiring this deficit becomes. You're now a little bit overweight at most and so might want to taper the rate of loss. Assuming you're not actually a lot more muscular than me. If your waistline is below 34 inches at your height then you the deficit you're running is fine for a week or two but in the medium term it will exhaust you and in the long run it's unhealthy. You may already have your ideal physique for all I know and just need to stop losing weight or you may have to just slow down a little on the loss.
>>
Jack Blossleford - Sun, 11 Jun 2017 06:38:08 EST V28MO2Xg No.94245 Reply
1497177488804.jpg -(223177B / 217.95KB, 650x401) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>94244
I am FAR from where I want to be physically speaking lol, I do not have much muscle right now at all, well actually my chest is pretty built but my arms are lacking; I am working on my body overall though of course. My waist is at 36 inches at the moment and before I started training I was more or less skinny fat. I do have kind of broad shoulders naturally and I'm not an ectomorph, but I did have a beer belly and little muscle. I still am carrying much of that belly fat obviously which is why it has been hard to get the notion into my head I need to eat more.

I have only been training for like 6 months and yeah I have lost fat and gained muscle, I also read this will get harder as my training goes on, and I will either have to cut now or later to get rid of the excess fat?

(this pic is one of the bi-weekly pics I am taking to track progress, I am all too aware of the fact I have shoddy biceps lol. My triceps are growing a lot better though..)
>>
Nigel Ferrysadge - Sun, 11 Jun 2017 23:42:34 EST F/adbwiG No.94246 Reply
>>94234
you can train upper 2x as much and lower 3x as much
>>
Albert Pockworth - Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:25:37 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94250 Reply
>>94245
I'd do a clean bulk if I were you, 300 cal surplus. You're eating the right foods it sounds like and you'll finally be putting on some real muscle. Also work those biceps homie...I'd do chin-ups on back day with biceps at the end.
>>
Samuel Ginnerstock - Tue, 13 Jun 2017 23:24:49 EST EOGfUquc No.94251 Reply
>>94250
Yeah my biceps really are stubborn for me, and I do work them hard. I think I have issues with mind-muscle connections with them though. My back is coming along ok I would say for 5-6 months or training. I will get on the chin-ups and bicep work right after, would super-setting that be a good idea?
>>
Ian Himmerbot - Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:41:24 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94252 Reply
>>94251
I really doubt super sets would be much of a benefit with lacking biceps already if you're working back/biceps together. You'll be working your biceps already training back especially with chin ups, those are what really made mine grow. Drop sets at the end would be a good idea though if anything.
>>
Ian Himmerbot - Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:55:06 EST 6KAeSp9W No.94253 Reply
>>94252
Forgot to mention 21s or a drop set method of reverse 21s with a ez bar are what you should be doing. Chin-ups and 21s will be the best combo possible

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.