Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Compound VS Isolation?

- Sat, 05 Aug 2017 00:45:55 EST Zap40k8j No.94347
File: 1501908355735.jpg -(523635B / 511.36KB, 1200x1500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Compound VS Isolation?
I am a beginner when it comes to weight lifting, I mean properly weight lifting in a serious manner to get bigger. I have been going through my routine for 8 months or so and have seen good gains. However I have been using a split such as;

triceps & chest
biceps & back
rest
legs & abs
rest

equally 5 days and repeat. However I have stared to take notice of compound workouts. Yesterday I did a workout that was soul compound and boy oh boy it has left me aching today lol! I did;

5 sets of 10-12 bench press
5 sets of 10-12 military press
5 sets of 10-12 dead lift
5 sets of 10-12 squats

My goal with the gym is to get bigger, not to become a monster but to become bigger, and I have been even though some muscles such as my biceps and legs have been slower in comparison to my chest or back and shoulders.

My question is this, would it be better to workout only compound sessions, or to mis it up? I was contemplating doing the following below, what do you think?

Day 1 - 20 compound sets
Day 2 - rest
Day 3 - triceps and chest
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - 20 compound sets
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - biceps and back

Would this be enough and would it be better than simply doing a split day in day out?
>>
Edwin Nubblehood - Sat, 05 Aug 2017 12:07:54 EST ZG0IJBlo No.94348 Reply
>>94347
You have way, way too much volume and probably way too little weight.

And you don't need to rest every other day.

What are your stats?
>>
Edward Blatherstone - Sat, 05 Aug 2017 20:16:32 EST R8QoDH+F No.94349 Reply
>>94348
Well I'm 88kg right now and 181cm tall. I would ay probably like 16% body fat, maybe 17%. Benching maximum of 120lbs for 10-12 reps. I am really new to squatting and deadlifts so the weight is really low on those. Military press I am doing like 60lbs for the 10-12 reps.

When I do triceps and chest on isolation days, I will normally do 22-30 sets, is that too much as well?
>>
Eugene Dartdale - Sat, 05 Aug 2017 21:08:12 EST ZG0IJBlo No.94350 Reply
>>94349
What are your one rep maxes, I meant

I would say yeah, too much volume unless you're eating clen and trening hard
>>
Edward Blatherstone - Sat, 05 Aug 2017 23:30:22 EST R8QoDH+F No.94351 Reply
>>94350
I can bench 160lbs for 1 rep (I use KG weights so converting it over)
I can deadlift 175lbs
Squat would be only like 90 lbs lol, really need to start working on this.

Anyway I do eat clean yeah and I go balls to the wall in the gym. My issue is that I have heard so much conflicting info. Some people mix up on high volume with not super heavy weights, and on other days compound with low reps and heavy weights. Other people say things like, do not lift more than 14 sets a workout! If I often have 14 sets done within 20-25 minutes.. I am strict in only having 60 seconds, max 70 seconds between each set by the way.
>>
Eugene Dartdale - Sun, 06 Aug 2017 14:29:12 EST ZG0IJBlo No.94352 Reply
1502044152275.jpg -(143587B / 140.22KB, 664x702) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>94351
Eat clen and tren hard is just a little steroids joke. Clenbuterol and Trenbolone, get it? Super high volume has diminishing returns unless you're all up on that juice.

>deadlift is only 15lbs more than bench

Boi

You need to do some deads. And squats. Badly.

What are your goals, specifically? Strength, power, aesthetics?
>>
Wesley Dartson - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 04:13:32 EST cGgSR8NH No.94354 Reply
>>94352
haha yeah that joke flew right on over my noggin obviously, and no I am not on roids or GH.

I also read that as a beginner (first year of training) you really do not need to be pushing things to an hour workout of like 30 sets. But today for example, I worked out triceps and chest, after 30 minutes I was already up to 20 sets total, and I stacked on the weight a little more this time around and went for 6-8 reps instead of 10-12.

Yeah really need to work on my legs I know this and I am starting to more with the compound lifts. My goals are not really realised yet, I don't want to become a monster, but I simply want to get a fair bit bigger than I am now, but I would say aesthetics more than anything else. If I stayed where I am right now with my size, I'd be happy as I am above average when it comes to guys and being muscular and toned, but I want to push the envelope a little more and see how big I can get being natty with my genetics.

Anyway this is my workout schedule I have cooked up, see what you make of it.

Day 1. Compound session of deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press
Day 2. Rest
Day 3. Back & Bicep isolation
Day 4. Tricep & Chest isolation
Day 5. Rest
Day 6. Compound lift session again
>>
George Hasslecocke - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 15:56:02 EST ZG0IJBlo No.94357 Reply
>>94354
Believe me, you won't become a monster by accident, that shit takes work.

Do your back stuff when you do deads or squats, don't do deads and squats the same day. Do your upper body stuff when you do bench or ohp. More compounds, less isolations (not none) and shit fuck tons more protein. What's your current protein intake? How about caloric? Aesthetics is mostly diet, you know.

Anyway, you should be prioritizing time under tension when you actually lift.
>>
Archie Pashtog - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 17:16:28 EST TQixDFs4 No.94358 Reply
>compound vs isolation

a muscle in isolation fatigues much quicker, produces less force, and can take less overall volume and stimulation than a muscle in compound with the aid of synnergists and such

isolation is great for metabolic stress relating to hypertrophy, but because the muscle will not adapt to produce more force, is usually in a small range of motion, and force production/CNS activation does not improve, increasing the resistance for an isolation movement plateus rather quickly.

So the answer is, compounds are better because they can keep increasing the stimulus and allowing the body to adapt. Without an increase in stimulus, there is no need for adaptation.

compounds can work the muscle over larger ranges of motion with heavier weights and can sustain increases in stress and adapting to said stress indefinetly, essentially.

For most routines, if the goal is strength (which it should be) and hypertrophy after, you do heavy compounds and then finish off with isolations later.
>>
Archie Pashtog - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 17:29:19 EST TQixDFs4 No.94359 Reply
reading over your post, you need to focus on a strength base if you plan on making any exercise plan longer than 6 months worth your time. You should bench 1.25-1.5x/BW Squat 2x and deadlift 2x before thinking about doing higher volume. You are doing a lot of volume with high rep work that will not sustain long term progress and will plateau very quickly.

Seriously hop on the starting strength train already
X / Y = Alternate (IE Alternate bench and press, row and lat pull, arms and abs)
Day A
Squat/Front Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5/Press 3x5
Row 3x5/LatPull or Pull Up 3x6-8
Arms/Abs 3x10
Day B
Deadlift 1x5 (Top set)
Squat/Front Squat 3x5
Bench/Press 3x5
Row/Lat Pull or Pull up 3x68
Arms/Abs 3x10

Progression
>bench, press, row
add +5lbs (2.5 plates) to bar every successful 3x5. If you cannot do 5, do 3 (so 3x3). If you cannot do 3, go back 10% and build back up.
>Squat, deadlift, front squat
add +10 lbs for every successful 3x5. If you cannot do 5, do 3 (so 3x3). If you cannot do 3, go back 10% and build back up.
>arms, abs
add +2 reps (starting at 4, ending at 10) every successful day you do it (Day 1 Curl 20lbs 4x4. Day 2 Leg lifts 3x5. Day 3 curl 20 4x6. Day 4 leg lifts 3x6-7 etc)

Once you reach pull ups 3x10, add 5lbs. Same protocol as the bench and press and row progression

Once you stall on one lift 3x, bump this thread
>>
Priscilla Fanhood - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 21:16:13 EST PxD3sApo No.94361 Reply
>>94357
yeah I know I won't become a monster by mistake lol, I have seen how much it has taken to make the gains I have already in the past 8 months or so.

Protein, I take in around 80-100 grams at the moment. I have read research on high amounts of protein, especially animal protein, that increase the gh1 hormone which can lead to cancer and shit. I don't want to compromise my health, and at around 100 grams I think I am consuming enough right now to get an ok amount of gains.

My diet is pretty good though, I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, I used to a lot! I use a lot of leafy greens but then again I always have. Chicken, whey isolate, oats, peanut butter, all that good stuff.

I try to focus on the negative of a rep, so for example a bar curl going back down I will count to 4 as I slowly lower the bar. I have read that you should keep the muscle under tension for a good 40-60 seconds each set
>>
Priscilla Fanhood - Mon, 07 Aug 2017 21:17:34 EST PxD3sApo No.94362 Reply
>>94358
>you do heavy compounds and then finish off with isolations later.

Didn't think about this for some reason, seems like a good idea though, cheers!
>>
Phyllis Charringwell - Tue, 08 Aug 2017 15:38:24 EST ZG0IJBlo No.94367 Reply
1502221104027.jpg -(173897B / 169.82KB, 1600x1097) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>94361
Sounds like you got a good healthy diet going but you don't really have that much muscle built up. Time for the dream bro, it's time to B U L K.

That all sounds good otherwise, don't forget a nice big squeeze at the top of the rep too.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.