Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

HELP ME GET STRONG WITH ONLY A PULL UP BAR

- Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:49:25 EST e8IW0tjt No.94547
File: 1512841765560.png -(210774B / 205.83KB, 800x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. HELP ME GET STRONG WITH ONLY A PULL UP BAR
whats up guys. i have limited weight lifting experience. my max bench was 155 with a barbell if that gives you any idea. anyway i havent lifted any weights in months but have been doing pull ups every now and again. i can do 8 real pull ups in the underhand grip, and like 2 or 3 with an overhand wide grip.

anyways I want to know a basic schedule to keep me in shape, and build upper body strength. i find doing it every day is counterproductive for me and most of the schedules i find seem to be like 5 days a week but i feel like 3 or 4 would be more ideal.

or would it be better to just do it whenever i feel the urge instead of having a set schedule?
>>
Ebenezer Duckson - Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:29:16 EST y7YIqKa8 No.94556 Reply
>>94547
Probably every other day is plenty. You might do split days and stuff if you get particularly serious about it but right now I don't think you need to do that, it might help, other people can probably give better advice. People will reccomend starting strength or other simple programs. I found doing 3 sets of 5 for as much weight as I could do that for was good, though when establishing what you can do it's better to under estimate while you nail the form and ramp the weight up if it's easy. Work each muscle group with more than one exercise and don't overly focus on one thing. If you can do a few pullups and bench 155 you're not super feeble by any measure but really the exact numbers are unimportant (to anyone giving advice, you need to watch them of course) if you just want to get stronger because you're just going to be doing the same stuff at whatever weight it is and watching it go up whatever.

If you do it whenever you have the urge you may be flaky, some sort of schedule like "these days" or "every other day" or something is probably better as consistency gets better results. Overdoing shit doesn't help you but if you take weeks of you're going to get worse results than if you're lifting every second day. A little flexibility to account for life doens't hurt. I haven't been to the gym for a few days because I was away, life happens, but if you go "when you feel like it" you'll probably go one monday... not make it in until thursday when you'll realise you can't be bothered and will start agsin next monday, then you'll come in... not bother until thursday again you think "I'll start next week". Then the next week you don't. Then the week after you manage monday and then are never seen again.

Also don't start on the first of january "because I should" you won't last the fortnight. I guess the gym love getting months of subscriptions from people who never go though.
>>
Ebenezer Duckson - Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:37:54 EST y7YIqKa8 No.94557 Reply
>>94556
With only a pull up bar though you're going to have to get creative/do floor and bodyweight stuff. Convict conditioning style.
>>
Fanny Shakebanks - Wed, 27 Dec 2017 00:14:23 EST MUYKVZkn No.94583 Reply
1514351663010.jpg -(85886B / 83.87KB, 607x776) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>94557 probably this.
Get good at the more challenging pushup variations: triangle, archer, maybe one day you can do one handers or Jack Lalanes.
If there is a park near you with dip bars or monkey bars use those for bodyweight exercise, I feel a bit weird doing this if there are other people around.
>>
Jarvis Druttingferk - Fri, 29 Dec 2017 20:18:16 EST l/IRl7RI No.94588 Reply
-Different pull-up variations
-Hanging leg raise
-Hang a good resistance band around it then put it around your waist and do planche holds/push-ups

Another thing to think about is different grips for the pull-ups. You can hang towels off it, that's a pretty cost effective way. Or get some fat grips which are good to have anyways if you're going super minimalist. I'd also consider getting a weighted vest for more strength work
>>
TinyTrip !5pb17tfZto - Mon, 01 Jan 2018 11:54:13 EST SSzHRMMv No.94590 Reply
>>94547
It's possible to keep in shape (I did) but you'll probably need to be a stronger starting point. I do them daily although "intense" sets were alternated.

Develop strength for weighted pullups. (this made my lats my strongest point and really grew my arms despite the fact that I rarely did any sort of isolation for biceps)

Learn how to do supermans

Negatives

Variations, develop strong control of your body while on bars

I do a lot of "crucifixes" a sort of hybrid between dead hang leg raises and negatives

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.