Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

What annoys me - no visible gains

- Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:20:20 EST yqDfCbZY No.95494
File: 1560338420117.jpg -(53566B / 52.31KB, 640x861) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. What annoys me - no visible gains
I can lift.. a lot. I go to the gym five days a week, run often, etc.

But my muscles are NOT gaining in size. They appear to be the exact same size, but denser. Obviously stronger, as I've been increasing my lifts weekly. I've gained half an inch on my biceps and 3/4inch on my chest over three months, and I wasn't fat to start with or anything.

I always wanted like.. the Captain America guys physique but what's the goddamned point with stick arms that can pull and push more than the roid bros at the gym.

I have had many a day where I'll swap in on a machine with someone clearly juicing, up the plates on my turn, and watch their eyes bug out. As funny as that is, I want some actual shape and definition and having essentially none is tiring.

Note that I have tried tons of varieties of sets vs reps for size, resulting in dick all. I track my calories and make sure my protein is on point.

I'm basically at the point where I feel maybe a month or so of jabbing myself might be the last resort here.
>>
Angus Brennerstuck - Wed, 12 Jun 2019 09:10:03 EST pdYtE9xy No.95495 Reply
Sounds like you should eat more and do more accessory type lifts if size is what you want.

but roids will also work too
>>
Angus Cemmleford - Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:48:31 EST 1cyqkk2O No.95496 Reply
>>95494
How many reps are you doing per set? Aside from you need to eat at a slight surplus maybe you're training strength (3-5 reps). Do 8-12 a set. My layman's understanding is:

>low reps is essentially pushing to your limit and then a couple more just to make sure your muscles get the message "You need to increase your raw power"
>higher reps you are constrained by the stores of glucose in the muscle. If you exhaust these, rest a minute then exhaust them your muscles instead get bigger per cell to store more. This does increase the maximum power. But a lot less.
>Really high reps is about your ability to run those muscles off the shit in your blood. Endurance.

If you're doing 8-12 reps already eat a bit more and see if it helps. You can't defy thermodynamics but metabolisms vary and maybe you're under estimating how much you burn by 200kcal a day. If you run a lot it doesn't "kill gains" but it definitely makes it harder. You're burning energy in vast amounts and will have less energy for workouts. If you're in the gym 5 times a week that's also probably too much. Your body grows over time. As long as it's stimulated enough (every other day usually works) you're just burning calories and wasting time.

If you're doing low reps, then just start adding reps to your set until you hit 12. Then go up a weight and see how many reps you can do and so on. I trained strength for years but switching the number of reps I did made a visible difference. Sometimes I eat a lot, usually I'm on a deficit and I've lost an inch or two from my waist since I switched up without my weight moving and it shows.

You'll never match a hollywood actor though because
A) their body is part of their job, it's an asset and maintaining it is an investment, they also have time between shoots to work on it
B) they are on screen flattered to the extreme, every photo is shopped and enchanced, every costume flattering, every angle perfect
C) They have access to the best trainers and best diets
D) Even if you go for steroids they're better.

I'd try without roids though. I think
A) You are being hard on yourself
B) You are burning more calories than you think
C) You work hard but not smart

Working hard is the hard part. A few small changes will pay huge dividends over time with your ethic and determination. You don't need roids for serious results here.
>>
Molly Clayshaw - Thu, 20 Jun 2019 06:40:58 EST OiawAQnn No.95510 Reply
more reps = bigger muscle
so go do more reps per set with the same or lower weight of pretty much everything
an inch is pretty good for the time of 3 months
Trust me it takes many years of diet/training/consistency to gain a captain America physique
also a captain American physique is made from taking the holy grail of magical road elixirs that is always for one time use somehow because uncle ben has to die every time too

Do SS with accessory work and chill when your quads start to blow up
>>
Martha Chummerched - Thu, 20 Jun 2019 18:30:03 EST yBY2VC5o No.95514 Reply
1561069803588.gif -(46184B / 45.10KB, 187x233) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95494
Lift to improve yourself, not to match the physique of a fictional character...
>>
Nell Duckham - Thu, 20 Jun 2019 22:31:23 EST OoH8L2IU No.95515 Reply
a job doing heavy physical labor and eating big giant sandwiches and burgers for lunch, with some kind of workout plan would make big muscle gains.
>>
Archie Bardshaw - Thu, 20 Jun 2019 23:01:26 EST WAB+/t95 No.95516 Reply
1561086086281.jpg -(44778B / 43.73KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95494
Ok sounds like you're doing everything right except one thing, eat like a mother fucker. The juice won't do much if your body doesn't have an ample supply of nutrition to build new muscle.

Breakfast - pound of steak, 6 eggs with cheese, a cup of oats mixed with honey/PB/& coconut oil, and half a gallon of milk

Lunch - Pound of chicken from the grocery store deli and a half gallon of milk. Also buy a little thing of heavy whipping cream (in its liquid form) and add all of it to your milk.

Dinner - whole box of spaghetti, a pound of ground beef added to your sauce, some oreos, and lots of water.

Oh and don't forget to take your vitamins and minerals. You got to eat big to get big cmon!
>>
Edwin Guzzlelock - Tue, 02 Jul 2019 12:27:36 EST 9WOadEVV No.95558 Reply
>>95514
Technically, Chris Evans is not a fictional character.
>>
Phoebe Bimmerson - Wed, 03 Jul 2019 12:44:35 EST JP3Dmwxf No.95563 Reply
>>95558
I'd context that. Most hollywood stars are pushing the definition of real. Especially when we get the persona, the brand. Chris Evans who plays Captain America is a brand. And Captain America is that brand at it's best presented.
>>
Beatrice Tillingridge - Fri, 05 Jul 2019 18:47:08 EST AeGo6FMs No.95570 Reply
1562366828730.jpg -(218847B / 213.72KB, 1080x1350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95563
It's unrealistic cos how many of us are gonna get paid money to exercise? Imagine your daily expenses taken care off while you spend three weeks on a strict lift+protein regime...
>>
OP Here - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:25:40 EST e3Pg/OFd No.95577 Reply
>>95494
So it's been a month since I posted this.

Still progressing n my lifts, but the scale stays the exact same number. No muscles are gaining in size, they only seem to be getting denser. I've been trying eccentric lifts, low reps, heavy weights. Been making sure I get a solid seven hours of sleep, eat hella right.

I feel like I'm on the verge of a complex. I have no pecs to speak of, and here I am ojt lifting these roidbros with giant chests.

Fucking hell.

I wish safe or scam was still a website, because I've Googled a few vendors but I'm kinda terrified to take the plunge.
>>
Reuben Hippercocke - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:46:00 EST 0gcE5zxe No.95579 Reply
>>95577
I don't think you ever answered or addressed any questions here. Keep going though OP. At some point you're going to be world famous for defying physics. Or maybe you'll just eat a bit more.

Also as stated elsewhere, low rep heavy weights does not make you big. 8-12 per set. 3-5 sets is how you train hypertrophy. Eat a few more calories. Not many. Just like 200 a day and you'll put on a couple of pounds a month.
>>
Archie Turveyman - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 13:05:23 EST iAQj/9ak No.95580 Reply
>>95577
Bro you gotta listen. If it’s been a month and you’re still the same weight you are clearly not eating enough. You’re not some genetic freak of nature that is incapable of gaining weight. You say you are eating well but obviously not enough. All the roids in the world won’t do shit if your calorie intake is still lacking. Take whatever you’re currently eating and bump it up 500 calories, fuck it go 1000+ since you’re clearly that desperate. Stuff your face until you feel full then eat some more. Do that for a few weeks and you absolutely will see that scale move.
>>
Basil Mallerdug - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 16:57:06 EST t6GvbiWK No.95581 Reply
>>95494
But how much can you lift?
Are you sure you are strong?
For me, OHP is by far my best lift and one can tell by looking at my shoulders.
As others have already said, maybe try to eat more and do more volume?
>>
OP Here - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 18:02:30 EST v2PlCrFQ No.95582 Reply
1562796150234.jpg -(57557B / 56.21KB, 636x382) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Sorry, I did get ahead of myself. I'll answer a few questions.

I'm using LoseIt app to track my calories. Aside from 90ish minutes at the gym, I'm pretty sedentary (desk job, long commute, just turned 30, current weight is 202) and my TDEE seems to be 2100. I make sure I'm over 2200 minimum, and do my best to eat 100g protein in that too with Vega shakes.

I'm about at my limit for my food budget though, shit gets expensive. And sadly, I'm lactose intolerant so GOMAD, whey, and creatine are out. I do take multi, eat lots of chicken. Costco is hella cheap for roasts, eggs, and chicken.

I started off with 4 x4 reps / sets, but for the last three weeks I've been doing 10-15 reps over 5 sets, sometimes six depending on the exercise. I rest 1-2 full minutes between sets.

My weights do constantly go up, which honestly is fairly motivational. Cable pec fly is 220, bench in the rack just hit 190. I cannot do a 'real' squat due to an old SI injury but I can leg press 410. I use Simple Workout to track my lifts, so I get fun little graphs and strength metrics.

I prefer to work with cables until I max them, because I feel more 'burn' when I do eccentric, controlled weight lowering on my last set, but I do work in a lot of free weight exercises too.

My routine is chest/arms, then leg day, then back/core and then I run every fourth day, rest one and repeat.

It could be that I'm still not eating enough, but if that's the case then I would expect to see much more definition, if not size - as remaining body fat burns off, like in a cut.

I'd be satisfied with starker definition as a close second to sheer volume, but I've only seen my fat mass drop by a few per cent over the last 4 months. I want one or the other, but I'm not trending in either direction.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input. I'm definitely not giving up, but... bleeah.

Pic related, this bro is Hunter Hobbs, google him. Buddy transformed himself in 3mo and I am insanely jelly.
>>
Albert Crepperdog - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:19:49 EST M8eGQZ3a No.95587 Reply
>>95494

Not a pro, but I think you need more rest days. Muscles grow while they're resting, and working out 5 days a week does not leave much time for muscle growth.

Also try taking a week off, I have seen my muscles grow more when I stop working out for a week after months of heavy training than in those months of heavy training.
>>
Eugene Crobblewill - Wed, 17 Jul 2019 17:55:14 EST bJoTN/fZ No.95593 Reply
>>95494
Not to hijack the thread but I have the opposite issue. Fat as fuck, finally sick and tired of it so I bought a digital scale, and a food scale, and for the last three months I have been weighing and portioning and logging my food meticulusly, making sure I have a ~500kcal deficit daily. if I don't weigh it, I don't eat it, period.

And I've dropped about two pounds. That's it. Yes i'm drinking water and exercising and sleeping enough. Doctor says just keep at it but three fucking months and only a two pound loss??? I'm hungry all the time and have dick all to show for it. I'll trade you any day OP cause I want to kill myself lol

Anyway I just wanted to say I know that feel, man. of busting your ass nonstop and seeing jack shit for results.
>>
Rebecca Binderwell - Thu, 18 Jul 2019 06:04:14 EST mbO+nZWS No.95594 Reply
>>95593
While you can't defy thermodynamics, 500kcal is small enough that if you're say 10% off in your estimations your actual deficit could be 200. Cut a bit more aggressively. Your weight will bob up and down a bit but at 500kcal it should be dropping an average of a pound a week. After 3 months it should have noticably fallen. Is your scale on the same flat surface every time and do you weight at the same time? If I don't put my scale on a flat bit of floor where it touches everything evenly or if lean it can change the weight by 5KG. The difference between Sunday night (as I eat differently at weekends) and Friday morning, after a glass of water but also a huge piss and shit is about 3KG as well.

Also do you include alcoholic beverages?
>>
Archie Snodfoot - Tue, 06 Aug 2019 13:14:11 EST l96urExd No.95651 Reply
>>95494
>NOT gaining in size
>I've gained half an inch on my biceps and 3/4inch on my chest
Which one is it? Keep in mind pro body builders have often been lifting for 10+ years you can't expect to go full Arnold in a couple months.

>I have had many a day where I'll swap in on a machine
Stop. Do free weights instead, machines are really only useful for targeting very specific muscles as an accessory.

>I have tried tons of varieties of sets vs reps for size
Don't do this either you need a consistent program to see consistent results. Stick with a program for at least 3 months even if it doesn't seem like its doing anything at first.

Anyways to prioritize hypertrophy do sets of 20-25 and make sure you are eating at a slight surplus with plenty of protein. Recovery is very important make sure you are getting your full 8hrs a day.

> always wanted like.. the Captain America guys physique
Hire a nutritionist and a personal trainer, get on steroids and workout 4 hours a day for a year then hire a makeup artist and a photoshop guy to touch up your pictures... or learn that body dysphoria can affect men too and aim for a strong healthy body instead of some imaginary ideal look.
>>
Hannah Blezzlefuck - Thu, 08 Aug 2019 06:05:41 EST pWiVlmkq No.95658 Reply
>>95651
>or learn that body dysphoria can affect men too and aim for a strong healthy body instead of some imaginary ideal look.
this. you'll never look like Chris Evans not because you don't do the right exercises or have the right diet but because you're not Chris Evans.
you'll be much happier (and thus motivated) if you instead try to discover what your body looks like when it's in peak physical condition. if your body wants to stay lean and sinewy, let it. keep lifting and you'll become the most lean motherfucker around, and it'll fit you better than a swollen type because you were literally born for it.
that's why roid bros and synthol freaks never look right. they force growth or swelling in areas they're insecure about, and their whole body is out of balance. and humans are good at sensing when a body is out of balance, disfigured or disproportionate.
>>
Martha Fanwater - Thu, 08 Aug 2019 09:14:26 EST pNWH3EoV No.95659 Reply
>>95658
I get the feeling you're taking OP waaaay too literally. I got the impression of general shape/size which is still very achievable with hard work.
>>
Augustus Shittingcocke - Wed, 21 Aug 2019 16:14:15 EST d/j94LTI No.95721 Reply
>>95593
Damn I feel bad for you. I can go up and down over 10 pounds in a week and I'm 5-9ish and 175 pounds. In a month I can go from like 165 to 190 and back again. Then again, my diet is mostly soda and a couple pieces of junk food in a day so if I'm working and only eat like some crackers and a can of coke, that is probably like 500 calories a day. I also don't sleep much, maybe averaging 3-4 hours a night with lots of 30 hour days.

I'm probably going to die at 30 lol.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.