Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Running General

- Thu, 19 Sep 2019 18:11:06 EST YSH47fZe No.95805
File: 1568931066882.jpg -(886434B / 865.66KB, 2240x1344) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Running General
Wonder if any of you meatheads on here can answer some questions I have about running.

I see a lot of training programs saying that they keep weekly mileage under 25. Why? I'm around 20-22 miles at 5days/week and feel like I could (and plan to) do more without much of a problem.

While distance/endurance running seems surmountable, I'm having trouble increasing speed. Any tips aside from fartleks? The problem I have with fartleks is I have one speed: slow. I don't have much trouble running for 50 to 60 minutes, but it is always the same speed. I need those /ana/reobic

Do long distance runners normally run without underwear? I've seen people talk about having trouble with chafing until they bought shorts with netting. It doesn't seem like this would be needed unless they're going commando. I had trouble with my inner thighs chafing when I was just wearing mesh (swishy) shorts and cotton boxer briefs, but haven't had any trouble wtih chafing since I bought more running focused shorts and still wearing the same underwear.

I've been trying to prepare for outside running during the winter. I see a big focus on shirts that wick moisture away. Normally, I wear cotton tshirts and after my runs I'm drenched. I understand I won't sweat as much on a cold, but even on a 70 degree day my chest and back are soaked through and with wick material that moisture is has to go somewhere. My shorts are supposedly fast drying and wicking, but they're always soaked through too (or is it because of my cotton underwear?). So what's the point of fast-drying wicking material on cold days if you still end up drenched in sweat?

On the bottom half of my body during winter runs, I've read that at most you need to wear tights underneath your running shorts. So am I supposed to go commando? Because as I've said above my underwear are drenched in sweat when I get done running.

On a completely subjective note, how bad is it to run in cold air? I've heard it is like daggers, from people who have never been stabbed, but yea, is it something that I'll be able to get used to in a week or two or three?

I've heard that REAL running shoes make a big difference. I'm barely an athlete, I want running to be a habit for me, but I'm never gonna be able to compete other than against myself. Do I need a $200 running shoe?

How hard is it to switch running shoes? I have a pair of Adidas that I've run in since the beginning of this summer. At the same I bought those (cause buy 1 get 1 half off, bullshit) I bought a pair of new balance that I've only run in a couple of times recently on shorter runs.

Finally, how many miles do you think I have left on my shoes? pic related
>>
Edwin Brackleforth - Thu, 19 Sep 2019 23:19:08 EST YSH47fZe No.95807 Reply
1568949548619.gif -(996521B / 973.17KB, 498x280) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95806

Well, I have to say that's a relief.
>>
Cyril Pinningtotch - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 07:05:20 EST wHVQmj7B No.95808 Reply
1568977520507.jpg -(497922B / 486.25KB, 1430x1480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95805

I want to double check what this image is suggesting. It seems to me if you forced that kind of stride, it would be a full foot strike every time.

Not only that, but depending on my speed/pace my stride lengthens significantly, I went to a run clinic for comp analysis, which was actually kind of fun, but expensive, and it really helped me with an ankle stability issue I had.

So I'm not sure what this infographic is suggesting, and if it is correct, what are the advantages of this kind of step? I'd definitely like some opinions.
>>
Cyril Pinningtotch - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 07:18:22 EST wHVQmj7B No.95809 Reply
>>95805
Oh, thought this thread had way, way more replies for some reason and was a real running general thread. Oops.

But OP, let me see if I can help.
Do interval training on a treadmill to increase your speed.
Chafing can be prevented by staying dry and there are a lot of lotions and roll-on sticks that can be applied to trouble areas.
TBH I don't give a fuck about clothing except socks. Wool socks are a must to prevent blisters. It's basically a given that I'm gonna be soaked by the time I'm done, it's just how it is. If I'm running when it's cold, I'll wear a wool hat too, sometimes a balaclava to cover my nose and mouth if it's super cold. But I have no issue running just in shorts in the winter.

But the point I will totally stress is yes, absolutely shoes are the biggest investment you have to make. It can fuck your knees, back, stride, everything. After a lot of trial and error I ended up with Salomons and although they were ridiculously expensive, the difference is night and day between an actual running shoe and general 'runners' that Nike or Adidas etc offer.
>>
Edwin Brackleforth - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 15:16:47 EST YSH47fZe No.95810 Reply
1569007007619.jpg -(42090B / 41.10KB, 638x479) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95809

We can make it a real running general thread if we want. Most of the other threads are just about MEAT and posting fitness babes anyway.

I've not had ankle stability problems. I've heard/read that running or sprinting your goal is to have you leg moving only in up and down pattern. Your foot strike/ankle rotation is controlling most of your forward momentum. While, like the infographic says, you keep your feet under the rest of your body.

When your foot and leg comes out in front of your body you are using it to force the rest of your body back over it in a non-natural motion. I think, the worst thing about running in this way is that you're stressing your joints very strenuously. The first graphic shows how you'd land with a straight leg so there's no elasticity in the leg to absorb the impact. It seems like running in this way you're also stressing your toe to grip the ground extra hard and push off from there. Which seems like it might cause a big toe sprain (turf toe).

I'm obviously no expert, but I've had to read a lot about my own gait and foot strike to learn to run comfortably (if I'm not mindful I'll over-supinate). My understanding of the foot strike is you're supposed to be using the whole foot. You aren't landing flat footed but at some point in your motion the whole foot touches the ground. So for me I'm concentrating on landing where the inside of the sole meets the ball of the foot. From there I'm trying to transfer weight first into the ball then into my pinky toe and through the rest of the toes (one after the other) to the big toe. As the last of my strike is being absorbed through the toes my heel is lightly touching down and I'm picking my foot back up off the ground.

With all that said, from what I've read there's no ideal way to run. You're just supposed to be running the way your body was born to run. Some people are toe strikers some people are heel strikes others are mid-foot strikers.
>>
William Grimgold - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:32:29 EST Wc4dfmYk No.95812 Reply
Overdoing cardio can thicken the walls of your heart and lead to an increased risk of heart failure.
>>
Priscilla Hupperway - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 18:46:46 EST 6jA/D1K2 No.95815 Reply
>>95810
How does reading about your gait translate into actually fixing gait issues? Did you have to relearn running from scratch, practice on a treadmill, what?
>>
Priscilla Hupperway - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 18:47:41 EST 6jA/D1K2 No.95816 Reply
>>95812
Uh ok, literally none of us on /ana/ are running/doing cardio at the levels it would take for that to happen. What bollocks.
>>
Lydia Fizzlechire - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 19:40:50 EST SLSl6wnl No.95817 Reply
>>95816
Remember
>cardio kills gains
>has literally no benefits
>just do HIIT ideally 15 seconds on 105 second rest
> cardio makes your balls fall off and your wife turn into a man and then fuck other dudes but you can't even watch
>the dems want to make feminising soy cardio mandatory but the repubs will make all black people do cardio until they die
>cardio is the end goal of big pharma, the arms trade, EA and big hentai
>your heart will become a huge sucking void and your blood pressure will become negative relative to atmosphere and you'll implode if you do cardio

>every fitness board ever
>>
Beatrice Dundlewater - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:28:15 EST Wc4dfmYk No.95819 Reply
>>95816

Well it's called Athletic bradycardia (athlete's heart) and it can be a problem for people. That's probably why you see a lot of training programs telling you to keep weekly mileage under a certain level.
>>
Beatrice Dundlewater - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:44:59 EST Wc4dfmYk No.95820 Reply
1569203099757.jpg -(194301B / 189.75KB, 1280x853) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95817

Cardio has tons of benefits and everybody should do it more days of the week than not, but you can over do it if you just keep pushing yourself without thinking about it. I wasn't trying to be really negative in my original post, which I admit looks pretty negative in retrospect. I should have yellowtexted the part I was specifically referring to about the weekly mileage references in training guides.

Sorry for any confusion. I do cardio, not as much as I'd prefer, but maybe jogging 2 miles 2-3 times a week. You probably want some decent shoes but you could definitely find something really good for under $100. I've also read that you should run nonstop on the first go until you can't run further and then walk the entire way back without running again and call it quits, then next time you have to run at least the same distance doing the same thing. The goal is to run further every time and you should be able to reach a certain distance within "X" amount of weeks. Good luck OP nb dp
>>
Albert Bussleham - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:57:52 EST wKOc1pgg No.95821 Reply
>>95817
the further I got into the yellowtext the harder I cracked the fuck up
>big hentai
can I tell you I love you? I love you. Solid gold.
>>
Martin Chonnergold - Mon, 23 Sep 2019 01:21:49 EST YSH47fZe No.95823 Reply
>>95815

I don't come from a background in running. I had heard "flat-footed running is bad," "run from the front of your foot," and all the other stuff that you hear without ever really learning why people are saying those things.

So when I first really started to run more than 30 minutes at a time I started feeling it in my feet. Most of my problems have had to do with landing too far on the end of my left foot, over-supinating. And then either compensating for that and pushing off my left big toe too hard or pushing off with my left big toe at the wrong time.

When I could identify my problems I just tried, and still do, to keep it in mind when I have to start exerting myself on my runs--it hasn't seemed to be a problem during the beginnings of my run. I try to feel myself touching the ground with my foot. If I'm hitting the ground too close to the outside of my foot I know I need to readjust and actively do so until I feel like I can go back to an automated pace. I also try to imagine my toes touching the ground the way that I described above.

I don't know if I have a perfect gait or foot movement/rotation/etc. I do know, that now, I don't have pain after I run like I did before.
>>
Charles Sablingford - Fri, 04 Oct 2019 23:42:10 EST I6hKwjD9 No.95841 Reply
I bought a pair of Altra Kayenta's and holy fuck I feel like a gazelle now. apparently they wear out kinda fast for some people but I've seriously never had this feeling before, where the shoe feels like an extension of my body. I can't say these are the best for you but yeah, a shoe can make a world of difference. I'd assume there's gotta be a shoe out there like that for you.
>>
Walter Drankinstone - Sat, 05 Oct 2019 09:18:40 EST ZWBA8H7c No.95843 Reply
1570281520622.jpg -(208670B / 203.78KB, 1080x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95805
>meatheads
Just run until it hurts.
>>
Cedric Greenhall - Sat, 05 Oct 2019 14:03:15 EST YSH47fZe No.95845 Reply
1570298595438.jpg -(6387B / 6.24KB, 220x229) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>95823
Something else that helped me was to try and run like you're running on eggshells. Ie. try to keep your foot strike as soft as possible. For me, if I'm hearing my foot strike the ground I'm probably letting my foot fall to the ground too hard.

>>95841
Right now I'm not able to justify spending $100 to $200 on a pair of shoes. Both pairs of my shoes (~$70 each) are very comfortable and work well for my current routine/mileage. I'll keep it in mind and someday, maybe. Tbh, right now I still think I'm just a novice, 3 less oz. on my feet aren't gonna do more for me than improving my form, quality miles and practice over time.

>>95843
Running isn't supposed to hurt. After a run: exhausted, yea. In pain, no.
>>
Cyril Bucklefield - Sun, 06 Oct 2019 15:07:16 EST I6hKwjD9 No.95847 Reply
>>95845

I only bring it up because you asked in OP. All of my shoes before have been very comfortable, I don't think it's necessarily just a weight thing either. A proper fit really can help encourage proper impact. Idk all the shoe jargon behind it but there's an upper tier of shoe beyond just being comfortable and working, in my experience. I can't go back to a shoe that just works anymore.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.