Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Quarantine fitness thread

- Tue, 26 Jan 2021 15:54:17 EST PGPGUhzK No.96578
File: 1611694457912.jpg -(38259B / 37.36KB, 480x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Quarantine fitness thread
Hi there,

Seeing as I've been stuck at home for the last forever, I want to start or, rather, get back into exercising.

I want to do basic body strength training and flexing, and I'm wondering if I can combine the two.

For the past few days I've been doing push-ups, hold & release sit-ups and squats, and for flexing I'm trying to focus on the main muscle groups (shoulders, neck and lower back for upper body; calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, quads and glutes for lower).

Some exercises I don't understand at all, for example the knee-to-chest stretch. It does not stretch the indicated muscles (hips, thighs, glutes) at all; instead I feel pressure in front of my waist.

I practically sit around all day (wake up, work @ PC, take a rest, spend my time in the same place where I work), so this is a must for me, but I'm having trouble making a structure that I could follow without googling exercises that I could do.

What would be the best way to structure? Body exercises in the morning, stretches after work? Or vice-versa? I'm guessing doing push-ups right after waking up isn't a very good idea (just woke up, haven't ate/low energy, muscles are stiff)?
And how to choose which exercises to do? Logically the best way would be to select the ones that work for me? Take each muscle group and do exercises for those groups?

Anyways, those are my /ana/ problems.

What about you, anons, how do you approach keeping fit in these times?

SLAYER
>>
Ian Hollyfoot - Tue, 26 Jan 2021 22:07:40 EST NBJ/FElz No.96579 Reply
1611716860797.jpg -(678445B / 662.54KB, 3060x1628) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Thank you for the well-thought out post, OP. The amount of detail focuses the problem into a specific rather than vague one. I'm going to post a few things in this thread I hope will help you.

>basic body strength with stretches
The way you are wording this makes it sound like you have absolutely zero equipment. If so, what you get as output becomes a question of volume, unless you can add more weight per rep, and you will not be conditioning your body for explosivity so much as endurance. Also, because you are only moving body weight, what you get out of the exercises will be very technique-based: kinesthesiology matters a bit more, and you will have to judge your own form. Getting a mirror or creating a video of yourself may help in this.
>zero equipment route
If you want a plan that will help to target nearly all functional groups of your muscles, and you have nearly zero equipment, then I would suggest what is called "convict conditioning" which was developed by Charles Bronson during his years of isolation. Attached is an image detailing the progression of this plan. This routine contains pull-ups. I would suggest the "Iron Gym" device to turn most door frames into pullup bars. Unless you are fat as fatass (>250lb, >110Kg) this is a good choice. If you cannot even get a pull-up bar going, the best advice I could give is find a big bag of rice and chest press it from a standing position. Better than nothing, but not the same. If you are performing this routine, you can perform it daily without worrying about overtraining.
>>
Ian Hollyfoot - Tue, 26 Jan 2021 22:14:38 EST NBJ/FElz No.96580 Reply
1611717278797.jpg -(228825B / 223.46KB, 904x1181) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>for flexing I'm trying to focus on the main muscle groups (shoulders, neck and lower back for upper body; calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, quads and glutes for lower).
If you are looking for an isometric exercise plan, you can also see the attached image for a full plan of these. These too can be performed on a daily basis.
Beyond this, consider yoga movements as a way to both build core strength, help balance, and work in some cardio. While yoga as an industry sucks, the few core movements are useful.
>Some exercises I don't understand at all, for example the knee-to-chest stretch. It does not stretch the indicated muscles (hips, thighs, glutes) at all; instead I feel pressure in front of my waist.
For static stretches where you do not have deficient range of motion, you're not really going to feel anything unless you are hyper-extending. Honestly, while static stretches have their uses (physical therapy, helping warmup for explosive exercise, etc.) they are not terribly useful compared to either yoga or focused isometrics.
>>
Ian Hollyfoot - Tue, 26 Jan 2021 23:04:46 EST NBJ/FElz No.96582 Reply
1611720286797.jpg -(1881554B / 1.79MB, 2544x1850) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>What would be the best way to structure? Body exercises in the morning, stretches after work? Or vice-versa? I'm guessing doing push-ups right after waking up isn't a very good idea (just woke up, haven't ate/low energy, muscles are stiff)?
And how to choose which exercises to do? Logically the best way would be to select the ones that work for me? Take each muscle group and do exercises for those groups?
Honestly, this is going to be slightly different for owls vs larks. There are generally two different phenotypes of humans regarding the way we metabolize over our circadian rhythm.
If I were in your shoes, I would wake up, get hydrated and eat something light, do the stretching/flexing/warmup portion of your exercise, maybe a second meal, go to work, then do the harder workout after that, and finish with a protein-rich meal.
>Going further beyond
Okay, so fucking no-equipment sort of sucks, right? What do?
The following things are non-memes worth looking into for a low-cost home workouts:
  • 10Kg/20kg kettlebell: trains functional core strength and explosivity, can be used for squat, press, and swings
  • resistance bands: most have an attachment to turn any door with a functioning jamb into a pull machine. Start with the 20lb (black) colored ones.
  • dumbbells: nothing fancy needed, 20lb dumbbells are probably the most useful to a beginner. Those adjustable weight blocks are a high-priced meme but nice if you want to save space. Try craigslist.
  • yoga mat: provides a good place to do workouts, makes sweating all over your floor easier to clean up, don't spend too much on this
  • foam roller: can be helpful if your posture sucks, might be useful for flexibility issues, again don't spend much
  • "Wristwand": is a patented bullshit piece of wood with foam around it. If you go to youtube, you will see some silly people demoing the stretching movement they do with it, turning the wrist muscles. What is important about this is not the specific bullshit, which is stupid, but the fact something like it allows you to stretch the tendons of your wrists (which will be killing you if you work on a computer all day) by doing the movement with a 1inch diameter, 10inch long hardwood dowel rod you buy from a hardware store. This will save you from the pain of carpel tunnel when done for 30 seconds every hour or so of work. Set a timer for this.
>other ideas and help
Scooby is a real pro about home workouts: his post about zero-equipment workouts is here https://scoobysworkshop.com/hotel-room-travel-workout/ in fact, just listen to this guy
Want to read the original "convict conditioning" book but don't want to pay? Most books are available to be pirated from the Library Genesis http://libgen.gs/
Various metabolism calculators: https://fitnessfrog.com
The old sticky, no longer updated, which I output into pdf form using pandoc, with html links in [square brackets] and in other places which may or may not work. https://0x0.st/--4f.pdf
decent tl;dr infographic about functional strength training with real weights in attached image

last thing I forgot to mention: do some chair dips if you have a safe way to do them (study, non-wheeled chair, you're not fat as fatass)

best of luck OP.
>>
Ian Hollyfoot - Wed, 27 Jan 2021 01:04:18 EST NBJ/FElz No.96583 Reply
1611727458797.jpg -(50323B / 49.14KB, 720x690) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>I don't like "convict conditioning" or Scooby's plan
okay, how about a 2 day bro split? You do upper body one day and lower body the next, and you alternate pull and push exercises, rest one or two days out of seven.
>upper body
pushup variations (close, standard, wide, tricep) - 4 sets total, 10 reps per set
pullup variation - 4x10
chair dips - 3x10
inverted row (use a table) - 3x10
isometrics cycle
>lower body
bodyweight squat variations 4x10
nordic hamstring raise 4x10
lunge variation 3x10
bridge variation 3x10
vertical jump and side jumps (if you are on ground floor, otherwise try yoga)
>core memes
Scooby's functional rotisserie workout https://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/
Also dragonflags and balloon animal twist

>last thoughts
You're gonna make it, bruh
>>
Albert Murdson - Fri, 29 Jan 2021 06:45:10 EST Wv/wt5Nm No.96587 Reply
>>96580
Work that body
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Cedric Blackcocke - Sun, 07 Mar 2021 22:51:48 EST iBN53/WW No.96628 Reply
>>96583

Why are all of their penises erect and pointing straight upwards?
>>
Reuben Poshway - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 11:21:53 EST PGPGUhzK No.96714 Reply
>>96579

Hey man, sorry for the late reply.

I had a varicocele operation, so couldn't do any fitness for a while.

Now I signed up for shoulder (had a trauma) and foot rehab, so that's the main thing I'm gonna be focusing on for the time being.

Thanks for a bunch of useful info.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.