Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

^ YOUR AD COULD BE HERE! ADVERTISE ON 420CHAN FOR ONLY $100 A MONTH! ^

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated March 20)
A. muscaria - complete decarboxylation of ibotenic acid to muscimol by Faggy Sorringdedge - Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:28:40 EST ID:ge3zUrSE No.77751 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1458232120013.jpg -(80063B / 78.19KB, 511x487) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 80063
I have a chemistry related question for you.

I've read in two separate sources that it is possible to decompose all the ibotenic acid in the muscarias to muscimol by boiling it in a very low pH solution (2.7). One source seems to have used HCl to achieve this. I was wondering if this would be possible to achieve using household vinegar or citric acid.

5% household vinegar seems to have a pH of 2.4, but acetic acid has a low vapour pressure, so boiling vinegar would vapourize acetic acid with water. apart from making your house smell, vapourising acetic acid would drive the pH of the solution higher, so you might need to add more vinegar to the pot regularly.

However, attempting the same with citric acid seems to be more straightforward since citric acid doesn't vapourise as readily. You can just add water to the boiling solution to cover for evaporation losses and be fine. Lemon juice is said to have a pH around 2, and you can calculate the pH of a solution from the amount of citric acid you add so it should work.

After 2.30 - 3 hours of boiling, you can just add some sodium carbonate to neutralize the pH in order to make it more palatable, and filter to remove leftover carbonate/mushroom pieces, and drink. I'm pretty certain this step wouldn't alter the structure of muscimol.

The conversion from ibotenic acid to muscimol seems to be dependent on pH, so I think it should be possible, but I don't have enough chemistry knowledge to say or certain. What do you think?

If this works, this could be used as a very easy homemade tek for preparing Amanitas.

Pic related, ibotenic acid converts to muscimol after boiling at low pH.

This is the paper;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-4159.1985.tb04052.x/abstract

just copy and paste that link to sci-hub.io to get the full text.

and this is a patent on the same topic

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140004084

^ YOUR AD COULD BE HERE! ADVERTISE ON 420CHAN FOR ONLY $100 A MONTH! ^
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.