Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Any mycologists here?

- Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:47:40 EST uA4MRYo6 No.146233
File: 1533952060631.png -(188799B / 184.37KB, 1280x1024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Any mycologists here?
First off no, i'm not looking to grow my own mushrooms. This is about hunting wild mushrooms. I just got back from my first hunt ever, I had chosen boletes since they are relatively safe with no deadly lookalikes. I've learned that to verify boletes you just have to check that the pores aren't bright yellow or red, and that when sliced open it doesn't bruise blue. Do that and you're good. Gonna fry them up in a little bit, nervous but I shouldn't be. Anyway, I'm going to need some help learning about and identifying mushrooms in the coming months, since mushroom season is upon me now. My main goals are to get lots of boletes, puff balls (I know the identification rules for those too), and possibly chantrelles if I can find any (I know to beware of false cantrelles, these seem to be the most difficult to identify on my list, but still good for beginners). I found what I suspect are young honey mushrooms also, and they're the main reason I made this thread. I'm going to be observing them over the next days or weeks to see how they develop and I may be able to tell if they're honey mushrooms by then. Still, if I'm not absolutely certain beyond a shadow of a doubt I will not eat honey mushrooms. They have a deadly lookalike, the galerina. But from pictures it seems that the galerina has a slimy cap, while the honey mushroom has a dry, slightly hairy cap.
>>
David Duckson - Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:50:49 EST uA4MRYo6 No.146234 Reply
>>146233
And I just learned Galerina has rusty-brown spores while the honey mushroom will only have white spores. Soooo I guess I'm good now. STILL I'm desperate for other mycologists to talk to. People who are interested in all mushrooms, not just the ones that get you high. Those are good too, but I want more. I want to get rare, medicinal mushrooms that only grow in the wild. Tomorrow in fact I'm thinking about going out to collect some coral fungus, which must be used fresh. I'll have to do some more research to check for any dangers. I really want to see what will happen to me health-wise if I start supplementing with wild edible and medicinal mushrooms/fungus.
>>
Shit Bundlewater - Wed, 15 Aug 2018 02:01:11 EST uA4MRYo6 No.146256 Reply
>>146234
I have expanded into coral mushrooms! Turns out coral mushrooms have no deadly lookalikes, although some have been claimed to cause stomach distress? But then again, there's cultures across the globe, globally, from mexico to china, that consider ALL corals to be safe, and sell all corals regularly at markets, and this would not be a practice if there was any common deadly or even truly poisonous corals. I won't eat ANY mushroom raw, and apparently that may be the reason some people get stomach pain. Eating corals raw. Anyway, Corals are on the menu! They're delicious battered and deep fried. They come out like chips!
>>
Fanny Chinderham - Fri, 17 Aug 2018 15:33:17 EST 7fhWy1tg No.146266 Reply
>>146233 I used to want to hunt mushrooms too but its just so easy to grow goumet at home once you sink enough $$$ into equipment. Im hooked at this point even if im only making LC's for the time being. Some easy species to grow are any Oyster, Lions Mane, and Shiitake is easy but probs not a good first choice.

Sorry for off topic i just luv my gourmets
>>
Walter Dartfuck - Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:01:37 EST uA4MRYo6 No.146268 Reply
>>146266
It's fine, mushroom lovers seem rare so I'll take what I can get! lol

I just got back inside from a rainy mushroom hunt. Originally went out to wrangle my chickens but decided since I was in the vicinity I'd check the forest. I hit the jackpot! Probably around 2oz wet of black trumpet mushrooms. Very hard to cultivate, so wild picked is almost all you can get. I'm drying them to use in soups later. It's taste is said to be similar to morels or truffles.

Also I've branched out into Hygrophorus Milky hunting! The Hygrophorus Milky is in the milkcap family and is a choice edible. It is said to have a mild flavor, and has been studied and found to have the highest protein content out of 40 tested mushrooms. Making it a standout in the usually protein lacking fungi world.
>>
Nathaniel Pittworth - Sat, 25 Aug 2018 23:46:14 EST pedkBJQn No.146288 Reply
1535255174285.jpg -(1056748B / 1.01MB, 2125x1196) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Mushroom hunting is a fun hobby, and a good excuse to get outside if nothing else. I wish i lived in a wetter climate so I could go hunting more often. Honey mushrooms are generally large and white to honey colored. Galernia are usually small and orange. I can't see many people confusing the two. Honey mushrooms are really often filled with maggots, so I would recommend cutting a cap in half in the field, rather than harvesting and taking the mushrooms home, only to find out they're no good. I've learned that on the hard way.

Agaricus is also a pretty easy genus to identify edibility. I've only found one or two edible ones though.

You can always post any mushroom you find here https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/3 and they'll identify it for you. The trusted identifiers are seriously experts, and they'll let you know if they aren't certain, but I would trust my life with them. I went hunting with a group from the shroomery a few months ago near mt shasta and everyone found a shit load of morels and boletes.

Pic is some Armillaria mellea I found and did not eat because, despite looking great, they were full of maggots.
>>
Barnaby Wunningway - Thu, 13 Sep 2018 21:57:52 EST uA4MRYo6 No.146312 Reply
>>146310
I too support innawoods shtf ways. I realized a week into the hobby, having this mushroom info in my mental utility belt will make the difference between nothing to eat and something to eat when I'm out on the trail, and how few people have this skill.
>>
Cornelius Diddlelene - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 23:35:20 EST bZNO6Sjj No.146543 Reply
just dont take anything you arent 100% sure, and ask a few buddies as well, sometimes you may see it one way and they can point something out that you dont see
>>
Graham Pavingpeck - Sun, 14 Apr 2019 17:12:17 EST WYIOFa8K No.146561 Reply
>>146233
Finally, a mushroom thread! I've grown Cubensis but I love wild mushrooms. There's so much cool stuff out there if you know where to look. OP if you don't already do so make sure you take spore prints from your harvests, to be safe. Also do you know of or use any mycology books that you could recommend? I'm looking to get well-versed in it so that I can identify wild shrooms. I think taking spore prints in itself is a fun activity, and growing them through cake inoculation is equally entertaining. In fact, after you take the spore prints if you like the result you can self-propagate and have a multitude of the wild ones in your home. Growing mushrooms is quite easy in my experience, provided your equipment is sterilized and you follow safe practices. Yeah Shroomery is a great resource as well, but I'm sure you've heard of it. Anyway I just wanted to pitch in my vote for a mushroom thread, please keep it coming I'm enjoying it!
>>
Sophie Dartville - Sat, 18 May 2019 01:09:29 EST wSjgd1Mz No.146637 Reply
>>146233
Get a good quality guidebook for your specific region of the country. Then join SAB and Shroomery.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.