Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Part 2: Help deciding on an atmosphere control unit

- Thu, 09 May 2019 16:27:38 EST pWkh7QEV No.146623
File: 1557433658304.jpg -(258640B / 252.58KB, 2220x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Part 2: Help deciding on an atmosphere control unit
So after my last thread, I decided I probably want to go for a sealed room model and supplement CO2. Seems like a much more reliable way of keeping the room at a specific temperature vs relying primarily on exhaust and intake.

My next challenge is, because I'm a perfectionist, I don't want to take the usual approach of "air conditioner or heater, on or off". I want temperatures to vary every day in the light vs dark period, but I want to keep those temperatures relatively consistent all year. In SoCal, where the coldest days may be high 30s and warmest may be 110.

Easy enough, I'm either going to hook up both an air conditioner and heater to a smart thermostat with a scheduling feature, or just the heater and use a Ceilo Breez to control the air conditioner (basically turns any air conditioner into a smart air conditioner which seems cheaper and more reliable than buying a smart AC).

Also going to have a humidifier (unlikely to be used but maybe on the hottest days), dehumidifier, some kind of CO2 generator (recommendations?), Hurricane figure-8 capable fans, and maybe some kind of vent to cycle the air once per day just so it doesn't get too stale with particulates/dust.

>Here's the actual question

I used polyurethane spray foam insulation which was expensive as shit and apparently effective as shit. For that reason, in addition to creating a larger hole for insects to get through vs a standard ventilation sized hole with fitted parts to create a seal (or something close), I'm hesitant to use a window style air conditioner. A mini split heat pump system is too expensive from what I saw. So I'm leaning towards using a portable air conditioner, but mostly wondering if you guys think the benefits of a portable (less risk of contamination, smaller hole in the insulation) would outweigh the benefits of a window unit (more effective cooling).

It's a 8x12x8 space (plus peaked roof), no windows, one door which will be sealed with excessive weather stripping and such
>>
John Blonderkere - Thu, 09 May 2019 20:44:12 EST ///BrKZr No.146624 Reply
dude i just grow pot outside in the dirt, the sun and the plant does all the work for me.
you califags with your aggressive, competitive showoffy conspicuous consumption are fucking retards. why are you so dead set on spending $10,000 to grow a few plants when you can do it outdoor practically for free? you buttpuckering uptight bitchass types need to do stronger drugs than pot to get your head out of your ass.
if you want to grow indoors, try shrooms. you can grow them outside too.
y u fuckers all seem so dead set on managing to have the biggest carbon footprint you possibly can while growing a plant? shits supposed to go the other way, u calitarded craphead
>>
Graham Geddletare - Fri, 10 May 2019 00:02:59 EST c7UjFkDG No.146625 Reply
>>146624
with that said,
does anyone have anything meaningful or intelligent to contribute
>>
Emma Seffingbanks - Fri, 10 May 2019 05:36:22 EST S69Ie05p No.146626 Reply
I see two potential conflicts with your requirements:

• Not too expensive vs actual continuous climate control (no on/off stuff).
Almost all cheap AC units are not able to regulate the power of the compressor.
What you want is called an "inverter air conditioner" which uses a variable frequency drive to control the compressor.

In general if you want to save money on tech try bargain hunting on aliexpress, but you better are sure you want it as return shipment of something to china is a near impossibility.

• Continuous air exchange vs carbon filtration of exhaust
What I mean by that is using a portable AC makes it a near impossibility to add a carbon filter to the exhaust.
There are some with a inlet hose which could in theory work with one like the one you posted in the previous thread but they aren't built for that. Carbon filters have pretty high pressure losses and you have to check if the back pressure of the inlet (Just think of the carbon filter of a very long hose) permits it.

Another option (which I would probably do if I had your project) is adding any kind of climate control to the room itself, be it a portable or window AC and put one or multiple tents inside that room.
Sure you loose some grow space and tents have a cost associated too but the flexibility you gain is enormous.
Each tent will have it's own carbon filter/fan combo which can be used to control temperature/humidity somewhat. And the climate control problem for the room becomes much easier, as you basically just have to make sure the temperature / humility of the room stays low enough, and not deal with adding humility / heating and air exchange issues.
>>
Walter Woshford - Fri, 10 May 2019 19:12:37 EST pWkh7QEV No.146627 Reply
>>146626
I don't necessarily need to regulate the power of the compressor. I mean that was how I was thinking about it, but all I care about is the end result: I'll need it to cool to a certain temp with lights on, and cool it to an even lower temp with lights off.

I'm not concerned with getting the cheapest possible tech, but mini split heat pump plus installation is going to be a few thousand.

I don't really care about filtering exhaust either. I'm in SoCal, it's legal. I only want exhaust filters to prevent insects from getting in. If it's a significant issue I could just attach an inline exhaust fan to increase the airflow, rig it to turn on with the air conditioner if necessary.

I have to be honest, I don't see any real potential benefit to putting tents inside the room. Allowing my exhaust (used air) to be a major deciding factor in my overall setup would seem an odd choice imo
>>
David Chezzlepack - Sat, 11 May 2019 18:25:44 EST S69Ie05p No.146629 Reply
Well growing pot is about as smelly as roasting coffee. (And no it does not even compare to the level you get even after the most intense session)
So you are bound to get complaints in a residential environment and risk getting fined and/or shut down even if it's legal. (Come to think of it if regulators have had any sense they would have mandated a carbon filter anyway, perhaps look that up...)

About the tents: You might want seperate areas for motherplants and clones anyway, which will come much cheaper in the long run that buying clones from a shop.
You can start using a tent to get your feet wet and once you've figured it all out you can use that tent to house your mother plants by simply switching the lights from 12/12 to 18/6
>>
Ian Blatherway - Sat, 11 May 2019 20:11:24 EST pWkh7QEV No.146630 Reply
>>146629
I'm doing this legally. In CA that means I'm only allowed 6 plants. Not going to be maintaining a mother plant(s) at this level. Going to fully harvest 5 plants and use the 6th (best looking) plant for monster cropped clones for the next cycle. Start from seed with new strain. All plants will be on the same light cycle, same humidity, etc so really no benefit or use for tents within my grow space.

More importantly it really doesn't answer what is, I guess, the main question in the OP: are wall air conditioner units powerful enough to justify their significantly larger hole in the insulation as compared to a portable unit? Starting to feel like it's a "yes" and like no one on this board really has any more of an idea than I do lol

Potential for neighbor complaints is just really not something I care about. My grow shack is right next to a house rented by multiple Mexican families who party until early morning hours. We never complained about them, I doubt they'd complain about us. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. I'm just worried about the science right now, that's the important part.
>>
Reuben Blackridge - Sun, 12 May 2019 15:29:12 EST S69Ie05p No.146632 Reply
>>146630
Well this board here isn't really frequented by people who do anything beside growing the weed they consume themselves.
There are dedicated grower forums where you could ask (icmag, rollitup,etc...)

To help you decide:
AC units all have a BTU value and that's equivalent to power.
Just convert your wattage to BTU something like google:
1200wh to btu
Then substract that from the btu of your AC
With the remaining value just simply can use the common recommendation for room size / btu
>>
Sophie Blocklefuck - Fri, 17 May 2019 03:05:48 EST c7UjFkDG No.146636 Reply
I'm going to go with AC, heater, dehumidifier, humidifier, smart controllers (still working that part out but fuck it I'll figure it out... at least for the AC I have one option figured out), CO2 supplementation, and exhaust/intake fan just to get rid of the CO2 when the lights shut off (I forget why but the plants don't need CO2 in the dark cycle, something to do with photosynthesis obviously)

this shit is expensive bruh, and buying 4 figure-8-pattern fans didn't help. But still a lot cheaper than a mini-split heat pump (which I'm sure would be great and will be what I use when I get to the commercial level probably)
>>
George Sonningfield - Sun, 19 May 2019 08:14:48 EST S69Ie05p No.146643 Reply
>>146636
Regarding sontrollers
check out sonoff 4ch

afik co2 supplementation is only necessary in a sealed room with split ac/dehumidifier. The problem is if you are using any kind of fan to exchange the air with the outside you might get rid of all that precious co2 faster than you can add it.
>>
Nathaniel Trothall - Tue, 21 May 2019 02:50:21 EST c7UjFkDG No.146650 Reply
>>146643
I'll check that out thanks

Room is indeed basically sealed, dehumidifier just arrived today and my AC is already picked out (although oddly for SoCal in late-May I need a heater right now more, but I'm sure that will change). The air will be 'refreshed' once per day right after the lights turn off as iirc plants don't use CO2 in the dark cycle and I want to exchange the air occasionally to prevent airborne particulate buildup. Intake and exhaust will both be filtered, exhaust with carbon and intake with carbon and probably UV.
>>
Martin Hozzletene - Wed, 22 May 2019 00:31:47 EST c7UjFkDG No.146654 Reply
>>146643
This Sonoff is exactly what I need

thank u i love you
>>
Ernest Nickledock - Wed, 22 May 2019 17:36:01 EST pWkh7QEV No.146656 Reply
>>146655
Actually it's only partially what I need. It doesn't solve the problem of maintaining the temperature and humidity at two distinct levels every day. Still love tho
>>
>>
Jenny Pankinstone - Wed, 22 May 2019 18:31:03 EST S69Ie05p No.146657 Reply
>>146656
They also do make units that control temperature and humidity. They only have one simple relay but still.
Sonoff TH10/TH16

The really nice thing about these sonoffs is there is a bunch of custom firmware for them and if you are into it you can even develop your own firmware.
They run ESP chips which are pretty much the next big thing in this space after the Arduino.
>>
Doris Grimworth - Wed, 22 May 2019 21:49:03 EST pWkh7QEV No.146658 Reply
>>146657
Ooh shit that's amazing. So I'm looking at the product page (and the...wiki page?) for the TH10/16 and it's not super clear - I could set this to maintain say, 65 degrees between 6 PM and 10 AM and 80 degrees the rest of the day? And the same sort of thing with relative humidity?
>>
Edwin Segglelock - Fri, 24 May 2019 09:13:05 EST S69Ie05p No.146659 Reply
>>146658
Certainly you could, It won't be precise control over both humidity and temperature
however since it only has a single relay.
I'm not sure what's possible with the standard firmware, in principle the TH10/TH16 unit could communicate with a 4ch unit and give you an additional relay to control humidity separately.
You might also need to add a separate relay if you want to control a fan that has dedicated low/high wires vs just on/off
>>
Edwin Segglelock - Fri, 24 May 2019 09:16:48 EST S69Ie05p No.146660 Reply
>>146658
https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Sonoff_TH_10/16
>Most importantly, with the support of latest ewelink app, you can create chains of simple conditional statements(Smart Scene). This means you can use them with temperature and humidity sensors (Si7021, AM2301, DS18B20, DHT11) to collect temperature and humidity data, while these data can be used to trigger ON/OFF other smart devices(Sonoff, Sonoff RF, Sonoff SV, Slampher, smart socket, etc.) under your account. This device is perfect to work with electric fan, air conditioner, humidifier.

I guess it is possible to use the temperature/humidity data on other sonoffs like the 4ch.
>>
Shitting Pockman - Fri, 24 May 2019 17:45:04 EST pWkh7QEV No.146661 Reply
>>146660
Disclosure: my background is entirely in biology/chem and I have no working knowledge of electronics beyond what I've learned while building this grow room

With that said, my thought was: use one TH10/16 per device, so one controlling the humidifier, one controlling the dehumidifier, one controlling the AC, and one controlling the heater. That's assuming I can set a schedule like I mentioned earlier, that is, something like 65 degrees for half the day and 80 degrees for the other half of the day.

However, if they only support a single temperature and the "scheduling" is just a matter of when it turns on or off, that's when it gets trickier. I would need two controllers for each device, and I'm not sure how I'd set that up from an electronic perspective. My dad, who is a former electrician, is helping me with building this and he thinks it's possible and safe to rig up two in this way but he tends to be overly optimistic. I downloaded the eWeLink app but like all these fuckin smart appliances apps, they don't let you preview the functionality in any way, you need a device to pair it with to access anything meaningful in the app as far as I could tell.

With that added context, what do you think is the best way to handle setup? Price isn't really an issue as long as it works, these are pretty cheap but multiple controllers and sensors will add up.

Also seriously appreciate your help here, it's the best potential solution I've found so far
>>
Nell Bardlock - Sat, 25 May 2019 02:25:44 EST c7UjFkDG No.146662 Reply
>>146661
Looked into it more and based on the sales page and a 2 year old Youtube video, it does indeed look like I'd need 2 controllers per device

which is fine because theyre even cheaper than I thought

question is just how to set it up

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.