Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Really retarded shiitake growing question

- Wed, 18 Sep 2019 02:22:03 EST 3hf9lbnP No.146963
File: 1568787723216.jpg -(255163B / 249.18KB, 800x470) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Really retarded shiitake growing question
Sorry for the dumb question but if I cut/twist and pick the mushrooms off will the log remain inoculated with spores? I'm growing shiitake and I don't know how many plug spawns I should get.
>>
Cornelius Fezzlefoot - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:24:56 EST WYIOFa8K No.146966 Reply
>>146963
Yeah, it should. That's how commercial white mushroom growers do it, and they get multiple flushes. Also when I grew cubes I picked them off at the base with my hands and got a couple flushes. Not to mention removing the carpophore doesn't remove the mycelium so you should be good. Just keep your terrarium misted and vent it around three times a day or so.
>>
John Nagglebanks - Wed, 16 Oct 2019 06:59:08 EST 6/Uy6hnq No.147002 Reply
>>146963
the organism does not need spores to maintain a colony
>>
Ernest Hiblingspear - Sun, 01 Dec 2019 05:39:02 EST yxGwzRIQ No.147063 Reply
>>146963
Inoculation is conducted by spores or through plugs that are inoculated with mycelium. If you pick the mushroom off the log, then you are literally chopping the dick off the log. The dick is the mushroom. The mushroom is like a dick because it is full of spores and spores are like sperm. Inside of the log grows the mycelium. It spreads through the core of the log and produces fruiting bodies which you term as "mushrooms".

So to answer your question, yes, it will remain inoculated. The number of plugs that you need depends on the size of the log and the type of wood. If you learn to make your own plugs, then you can put as many in the log as you want. You ought to research more. Not only will you have more fun, but you will be more successful. A win/win approach.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.