Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

A Scanner Darkly

- Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:45:42 EST ivLKypzP No.369284
File: 1572180342777.jpg -(16729B / 16.34KB, 300x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. A Scanner Darkly
Just read this and it reminded me of DXM.
Am I psyching myself out and falling for a biased perspective?
I can't tell if I'm insane or retarded or if it's my constant questioning of whether or not I am that is and that makes me that way.
Does anyone else feel me or do you all have it pretty together?
There's a part at the end where they talk about a guy who saw God, and God was beckoning him through a doorway but he never went through because he was too busy admiring the doorway itself for the thought to occur to him. Then the doorway disappeared and the rest of his life was a slow, degenerative spiral of agony because he knew he'd never see it again and everything else was rendered meaningless.
>>
Polly Brookbanks - Sun, 27 Oct 2019 09:50:27 EST 3jTm8tij No.369287 Reply
1572184227254.jpg -(64119B / 62.62KB, 594x234) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Probably a bit biased, I think it could be about any drug of choice. To me substance D seems like a cross between ecstasy and heroin. I think of any real drug, MDMA has the potential to cause the massive permanent brain damage described in the book with regular use.

DXM is really good at turning people into Frecks though. And meth.
>>
Polly Brookbanks - Sun, 27 Oct 2019 09:56:29 EST 3jTm8tij No.369288 Reply
1572184589254.jpg -(76636B / 74.84KB, 850x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>369287
Also ecstasy, and drugs in general but ecstasy in particular for me, causes that archetypal feeling of tasting the forbidden fruit and experiencing a glimpse of incomprehensible joy and happiness but ultimately being deprived of it as you chase that feeling that will never come back again, and the more you chase it the less you feel it, and the more desperate you become in your vane search of it
>>
Frederick Bardbury - Tue, 29 Oct 2019 21:13:46 EST 6sAkZYbz No.369321 Reply
1572398026414.jpg -(31763B / 31.02KB, 367x499) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>369284
I'm convinced that vaped diphenidine is as close to real Substance D as we can get. To be fair, I read the book while binging on diphenidine, but I swear the hemispheric split that D induced in people was starting to happen to me. Probably just disso mania and some sleep deprivation paranoia, but still, there were a lot of parallels between the effects of the fictional drug and that weird ass RC.

I feel you. Personally, I think it gets riskier when we stop questioning our sanity, and we either think we're too stable to fall or that we've already lost it. "The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight." When you're regularly going out onto the fringes of the conscious experience, it can be easy to think that you might be insane or broken.

It doesn't help living in a hypermaterialist society that's lost any real spiritual or philosophical lineage that may help to navigate these waters. Without some kind of framework to put some of these alien experiences into, it can be easier to slip into madness or reject these things outright as mere hallucinations. Sure, a lot of the shit people see and think is straight-up delusional and is purely a hallucination produced by a drug-addled brain, but there are also some real mystical experiences that run parallel with the experiences of various Abrahamic faith mystics and gnostic sects/Advaita Vedanta adherents/Buddhist monks/Native American shamans.
>>
Clara Chengerhan - Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:46:55 EST nuYtZQJl No.369337 Reply
>>369321
>just disso mania and some sleep deprivation paranoia,
yep
>>
Henry Dezzleville - Thu, 31 Oct 2019 22:00:10 EST 2cFbDpry No.369343 Reply
Supposedly the book was about Dick's amphetamine abuse and the drug friends he made that died using drugs. Dick was convinced that his amphetamine abuse had caused him to be brain damaged but doctors said the only thing that was odd about him was slightly impaired liver function. So he honestly could have just retained paranoia from his abuse.
>>
Hugh Bevinghall - Fri, 01 Nov 2019 16:21:04 EST 5jeIeiOh No.369361 Reply
I always thought substance d was a dis. I always kinda looked at it as a mix of mxe and dxm. I don't think it was something like mdma or an amphetamine. In the book he talks about taking caps of death cut with meth though
>>
Jarvis Pezzlefit - Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:40:44 EST Wm0gRd8L No.370467 Reply
watching the movie on /dis/ is one of my favorite things to do in the wonkyverse. substance d is short for dissociative. something about rotoscoped visuals really captures the disso vibe.

another good movie with a very similar visual aesthetic is Waking Life, argueably its even more surreal.
>>
Dr. Katz !KqgSR25gAQ - Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:54:49 EST nlhtTPd0 No.370472 Reply
>>370467
Waking Life was one of the first movies I watched on acid when I was 16 years old. Great film at the time. I find certain elements hold up better than others, but the overall structure and plot are still relevant today.
A Scanner Darkly actually came out when I was in elementary/grade school, so I was too young to watch it at the theater when it came out. Later I found the film and book in my later teens. A Scanner Darkly is great on MXE, Ketamine, and while tripping. The last time I watched ASD I had my first and last candy flip of 200mg MDMA with 200ug LSD. Candy flipping and MDMA are not for me, so that was my final time taking MDMA indefinitely.
>>
Polly Pickwater - Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:51:33 EST vhZvrl1G No.370489 Reply
>>370467
I wasn't a fan of waking life, especially on dissos
The whole movie was a series of suggestions that were presented almost as fact. A little too ideological and manipulative for my taste. It would have been better if the ideas in the movie were presented through a compelling narrative that it's up to the viewer to interpret rather than the narrative being a pretext for presenting the authors' views point blank.
I know that's up to personal preference, but it actually struck me as being very in-dissociative because there was nothing to get immersed in. Like sometimes when watching movies on dissos you pick up very strongly on some arcane subtext you wouldn't have felt sober. This movie had none iirc.
>>
Ebenezer Dommlewell - Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:14:38 EST x/Ds00KE No.370493 Reply
>>370489
>Like sometimes when watching movies on dissos you pick up very strongly on some arcane subtext you wouldn't have felt sober.
I love it when this happens. Do you have any examples?
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Matilda Billingshaw - Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:42:23 EST 3hKctVVf No.370495 Reply
>>370493
I watched the entirety of the original Twin Peaks series on DXM and I was pretty 100% that the plot twist was that they were all in a dream. There was one episode where they were singing or something and there are sailors with balls. I can't remember exactly but my brain was connecting all the dots. And that ended up not being the twist, or there wasn't even a twist actually but yeah. It was a good time and the mania-induced conspiracy thought process gave me some good memories
>>
Cedric Hiffingfield - Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:16:56 EST vhZvrl1G No.370498 Reply
>>370493
Don't laugh but the TV series Scandal of all things. When I was dissed it was so obviously a satire with dramatic situations that would escalate and grow more absurd as the series progressed, and I thought the authors were actually self-aware about it, like they were making fun of people who took it and things related to it seriously, like a critique of our sensationalist culture, but it flew totally under the radar because my sober friends who watched it too did take it seriously. I felt like I was in on some big secret and each episode was hilarious because we were all being trolled. Still have no idea how much of that was in my head but I had a blast.
>>
Jarvis Bonderfuck - Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:16:18 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370510 Reply
>>370498

That's pretty much how I feel about existence in general. It's like I'm being trolled by reality, and none of this is what it seems at face value. /Dis/ is definitely one of those "peeking under the veil" type deals.
>>
Hedda Hattingpid - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 12:51:55 EST auGm0PpI No.370514 Reply
>>370510
I definitely made that connection with the show. It bled out into reality because how people reacted to the show became a part of it, like that was the real show. It's so hilarious now but one of the most euphoric experiences of my life was when Olivia (the mc) was shot or tending to someone who was shot as an emulation of a hate crime that was being popularized at the time. It zoomed out on her, she became so small, and the absurdity came crashing down, and it was like my life became a reflection of the moment because what I was perceiving was equally as implausible and fateful as a main character always being there when the most dramatic situations occur, and it was so fucking funny. And to add onto it anyone would judge me because they would think I'm laughing about hate crimes but it was something totally different. I felt so unbelievably lucky and appreciative for being me, and my fuckups, in spite of all my flaws, because that moment was unique.

That moment felt like nirvana and it was from one of the shallowest tv shows in existence. It only goes to show there's hidden meaning everywhere.
>>
Sidney Gorrybot - Sat, 15 Feb 2020 17:51:29 EST XCJyh2Vy No.370763 Reply
1581807089441.jpg -(58253B / 56.89KB, 503x675) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
waking life really reminded me of dxm. the rotoscoped animation looks like 3rd plateau oevs.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.