Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Microorganisms

- Tue, 24 Dec 2019 05:05:29 EST hPG1JgUZ No.370121
File: 1577181929883.jpg -(177982B / 173.81KB, 1300x907) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Microorganisms
Could you imagine being a bacteria? They have no nervous systems. I'm pretty sure they can't feel anything. And iirc they only exist for a few hours. They are the ultimate diss-heads. Imagine moving around and doing stuff without knowing you're doing anything.
>>
Martha Honeystock - Tue, 24 Dec 2019 08:23:31 EST P4rT4BU3 No.370123 Reply
This is the sort of philosophical discussion that's keeps me returning to this board of fiendishness
>>
Walter Gickleway - Tue, 24 Dec 2019 09:02:17 EST rVds5HWb No.370124 Reply
>>370121
It's like the question of where does sentience begin and stop?

Will we eventually lose our long term memory and have to be connected with a computer at all times as we use wikipedia and google and check chat histories more and more, instead of going through the pathways and recieving the reward feeling of "aha!" when you dediscovered it (There's a differnece beteween remembering and recalling information)

Maybe we are just the organic neurons of the internet which has gained awareness and when we access websites and files and folders it's as if a neuron has depolarised and gone down that route in our brains using electro chemestry
>>
Pseudo Qui - Tue, 24 Dec 2019 22:36:25 EST 7hAAgPy1 No.370134 Reply
1577244985393.jpg -(1571319B / 1.50MB, 4032x3024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>370121 Diss as fuck, I’ve thought about this heavily when starting Dxm. Or what it would be like to stand at the edge of a 20 mile wide asteroid crater on Mars, to imagine seeing such a collision in slow motion... something no human has ever seen themselves. I’d imagine it would be care free- no self awareness, just existing
>>
Eliza Daffingville - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 06:02:23 EST KBlw8qNM No.370136 Reply
how do you know bacteria isnt conscious?

how do you know the universe isnt conscious?
>>
Wesley Tootham - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 07:59:38 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370137 Reply
>>370136

It's objectively verifiable that they are not conscious in the sense that you and I are conscious. New-age mysticism spirit-science hoopajoop gtfo
>>
Cornelius Croffingwudging - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 08:25:01 EST BPabjI9P No.370138 Reply
>>370137
>It's objectively verifiable
This is objectively false
>>
Wesley Tootham - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:38:03 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370139 Reply
>>370138

Give me a single piece of evidence to suggest bacteria or the universe as a whole are conscious in the same way you and I are conscious
>>
Henry Bammlemure - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 19:14:00 EST vqbtuCRE No.370142 Reply
>>370139
you're the one who claimed its objectively verifyable you dumb faggot
>>
Simon Blytheham - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:54:38 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370148 Reply
>>370142
Do we see the same nerves and neurons that produce consciousness in humans in bacteria and the universe at large?
>>
Cyril Dundermack - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:59:35 EST ue+9EG/p No.370149 Reply
>>370148
why do you assume our nerves and neurons are the only path the consciousness
>>
Simon Blytheham - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 11:01:47 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370150 Reply
>>370149

I'm already well aware that this is a completely pointless discussion because you're ignoring logic
>>
Simon Blytheham - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 11:05:56 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370151 Reply
>>370150

I mean, is it really logical to assume bacteria are conscious the same way you and I are conscious, when all available evidence says otherwise? Obviously consciousness is a product of physical processes, but to think it likely the universe itself is aware like a human is aware is just wishful thinking. There's nothing to suggest this is likely, when there is only evidence to the contrary.
>>
Simon Blytheham - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 15:21:58 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370155 Reply
>>370152

Emergence concept is very similar to Stuart Kauffman's decades long work regarding his search for laws of complexity and self-organization in the universe. It uses molecular and chemical evolution to help explain the emergence of spontaneous order and homeostasis out of complexity in closed systems, giving convincing arguments for a believable version of chemical-creationism in the rise of life and consciousness from the pre-biotic soup of the early Earth.

It's an interesting new science, but I don't see how it would give evidence for the totality of the universe being an individual consciousness, or for bacteria being consciously aware in the same sense as a being like us with a vastly complex brain and sensory organs by comparison.
>>
>>
Graham Blummerfune - Sun, 29 Dec 2019 21:28:06 EST KRBQNTrZ No.370191 Reply
>>370152

In all honesty, I'm legitimately interested to hear reasons why you would think bacteria, or the whole universe might be conscious the way you or I are conscious.
>>
Sidney Crongerlore - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 11:29:36 EST ayqx+O/9 No.370192 Reply
>>370139
And can you give evidence that you and I are conscious in the same way?
>>
Thomas Tootshit - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:34:42 EST e9cvOVLj No.370197 Reply
>>370192
Evidence isn't the same thing as proof. The fact you're both posting on an image board, are capable of communicating in a shared language at all, and are able to relate to experiences you've both experienced all serve as evidence that you two are likely conscious "in the same way".

None of that is by any means conclusive, and a lack of evidence isn't the same as proof of the opposite being true, but given what we know, it's easily far more likely to be true that the people posting on this board indeed are conscious "in the same way" (you really need to define what that is, but it's not pivotal to the point I'm making) than it is that bacteria are conscious "in the same way" as we are.
>>
acid boy burn dick off man - Wed, 01 Jan 2020 06:13:56 EST jZIL1VHF No.370205 Reply
>>370121
do you think that we are we or we are all the bacteria and little small life bits that are on us and in is alike
im about to dump my bactierotica fan fiction on the new discord server brb shout out to kirt (skirtskirt)
>>
Reuben Tillingham - Wed, 01 Jan 2020 08:37:14 EST e9cvOVLj No.370206 Reply
>>370205
That's a complicated question to answer because the self is a very abstract concept that eludes definition any time we try and go about concretely identifying its attributes and mapping out the boundaries of what it is and is not. I would say that in the literal sense, we are not the microbes that live on or in us. That is to say, these things are not responsible for producing the consciousness we experience in any direct sense. That said, we aren't simply brains or the nerves that make up our central nervous system housed in and driving around a body either. No single organ system can be identified as "us".

Rather, we are the system of interactions and communications that take place between and within a system of networks that produce rhythmic oscillatory patterns of acitivity... in fact a system of systems of networks. There is no tangible thing or even thing that can be pointed to and identified as being "us". In that sense, the body as a whole, including our microbiome are all necessary for producing the conscious experience we refer to as "us". All that makes up our body is replaceable and interchangable because the individual building blocks (cells, microorganisms and whatnot) in and of themselves aren't important; rather, the function they perform and the roles they fill are what's important. This means that the self isn't just a metaphysical phenomenon in the sense that it is mental in nature, but also in origin--the process responsible for producing the self is metaphysical itself.

Therefore, the self isn't something that we can consider a tangible thing, like our bodies. We often conflate others' bodies as also being them as people because it's far more convenient to conceptualize things that way for practical reasons, and I'd say it's pretty easy to forget that we're doing that and not be consciously aware that we'te doing it. This leads to all sorts of flawed assumptions about the nature of the self/personhood, like the classic take on being human, thinking of us as being brains stuck in bodies that we simply pilot (despite the fact the body is essential in forming any kind of coherent self-image and sense of identity, and there are fare more afferent neurons, the ones in the body, than there are neurons in the brain and spinal cord).
>>
Reuben Blummerbut - Sat, 04 Jan 2020 06:01:02 EST 1vTVRBVS No.370229 Reply
> Imagine moving around and doing stuff without knowing you're doing anything.

uh i do that like a lot

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.