Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Flashing image slideshow

- Fri, 22 Nov 2019 18:58:20 EST IloL20Jc No.46400
File: 1574467100941.jpg -(25102B / 24.51KB, 321x322) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Flashing image slideshow
I've heard this is a relatively common occurrence but its still fucking strange to experience.
A few years ago ever morning before waking up I would see rapid flashing images of random things i.e landscapes, stilllifes, children etc. with the last image lingering in my eyes as I open them when I awoke. All the images were in incredible detail. Recently this has been happening again on and off for me but the images seem less random and more relevant to my life. Anyone else here familiar with this?
>>
Betsy Dollerbury - Sat, 23 Nov 2019 21:55:26 EST 6lFJ5/Za No.46401 Reply
>>46400
I get very vivid closed eye visuals when I wake up if I'm tired enough. It's really random and sometimes I can change it if I think hard enough
>>
Baltazaras Aklasis - Sun, 24 Nov 2019 10:27:11 EST RTqzoTXH No.46404 Reply
Sounds like hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations. Some people use the words interchangeably as synonims, but they're not really the same thing - hypnagogic is going from wakefulness to sleep, whereas hypnopompic is the opposite. They're fairly common, although there's much variation in the type of hallucinations, how they change and how vivid they are among different people.
>>46400
If you see them before waking up, then it's hypnopompic.
> the images seem less random and more relevant to my life
These hallucinations usually are random, but they can be related to relatively recent thoughts, experiences, stimuli, etc., then they are called perseverative (hypnagogic) hallucinations
>>46401
>I get very vivid closed eye visuals when I wake up if I'm tired enough
What could be happening is that you wake up, start nodding off again because you're tired and experience hypnagogic hallucinations.
>>
Baltazaras Aklasis - Sun, 24 Nov 2019 10:43:38 EST RTqzoTXH No.46405 Reply
1574610218576.jpg -(461432B / 450.62KB, 3250x1757) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>46400
Here are some quotes about them (mostly about hypnagogic) from "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks:

"not dreams but involuntary images or quasi-hallucinations appearing just before sleep"

"They disappear out of sight and memory the instant I begin to think about anything"

"There were quickly changing images in which he reported visual association (for instance, arrows became stars, then snowflakes) but no narrative continuity"

"It was a normal phenomenon, although special conditions - darkness or closing the eyes, a passive state of mind, the imminence of sleep - were needed to bring it out"

"Many people speak of an "impossible" clarity or a "microscopic" detail in their hypnagogic visions. Images may seem finer-grained than perception itself <...> (this hyperacuity is a feature common to many types of visual hallucination)"

"Hypnopompic hallucinations - those that may come upon waking - areoften profoundly different in character from hypnagogic hallucinations. <...> Hypnopompic hallucinations are often seen with open eyes, in bright illumination; they are frequently projected into external space and seem to be totally solid and real. They sometimes give amusement or pleasure, but they often cause distress or even terror, for they may seem charged with intentionality and ready to atack the just-wakened hallucinator. There is no such intentionality with hypnagogic hallucinations, which are experienced as spectacles unrelated to the hallucinator."

What you describe seems to be something in between. The
>rapid flashing images
definitely seem more hypnagogic in nature, but
>the last image lingering in my eyes as I open them when I awoke
do you see it in your "real" environment or just perceive it in your mind's eye for a prolong length of time?

What should be remembered, that what's written above or descriptions/categorizations of any type are usually generalizations and what's most common among people and that each of us is unique.
>>
Ian Brockledick - Sun, 24 Nov 2019 20:06:57 EST mu5J+Usq No.46407 Reply
>>46404
>>46405
fascinating stuff
>do you see it in your "real" environment or just perceive it in your mind's eye for a prolong length of time?
I want to say they're "real".
My sleep quality hasn't been the greatest lately, too. twice in the past month I've awoken in the middle of the night in a semi-lucid state where I still feel the heaviness of deep sleep but I can move. the best way I can explain it is that I feel like I'm in a dream even though I know I'm awake.
>>
Reuben Drimmerfud - Mon, 06 Jan 2020 18:40:55 EST fZYOR9AB No.46456 Reply
>>46404
Hey guys I just experienced my first sleep paralysis a few days ago and it was awesome as tits.
>>
UnamusementPark !ikwaNLFmBo - Mon, 06 Jan 2020 23:30:54 EST hBoOpP8I No.46457 Reply
1578371454055.jpg -(128577B / 125.56KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>46400
Rather than seeing psychosis as something that ... “[But] early in the development of psychosis, a person ... When stress becomes frequent, it can affect your body, ...
#chuck rem
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
no bump - Fri, 07 Feb 2020 08:44:51 EST gWXTV626 No.46483 Reply
OP here
recently been having something similar again except this time its just one still image and its relevant to my life, for instance I was playing cities skylines the other day and I woke up with an image of my city imprinted in my Mind's Eye
pretty neat
>>
Martha Dartfoot - Sun, 01 Mar 2020 00:52:27 EST iINYXKne No.46507 Reply
>>46457
It's a degenerative neurological disease. It literally destroys nerve and brain tissue and you die from it eventually. So yeah, it's not cool
User is currently banned from all boards

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.