Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Scopes? Ignore Report Reply
Hamilton Huzzledale - Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:04:54 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12655
File: 1391097894922.jpg -(14830B / 14.48KB, 800x133) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 14830
Hey guys. I got a good rifle. A left handed one because shooting right handed bolts fucking sucks.
What type of scope should I buy? I should mention that I am no fucking sniper, so I don't need some flawless $600 scope that can see 9 miles away. I'd say I'm good up to 300 yards, and could hit a target (not accurately) at 400 yards.

knowing that what type of rifle and ammunition is used is important to knowing what type of scope to use, my pic is related.
Savage Arms Axis chambered in .308
>pic
>>
Sidney Drarringfield - Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:59:54 EST ID:BxWLr6i/ No.12656 Ignore Report Reply
/nra/
>>
Clara Sovingcocke - Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:15:12 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12660 Ignore Report Reply
>>12656
I honestly did not know there was an /nra/. Thanks

mods, feel free to lock/delete this thread. It has no purpose.
>>
Clara Goodbury - Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:53:56 EST ID:i6EUsF2f No.12673 Ignore Report Reply
>>12660
its undeer life style, which fits.
>>
Phoebe Serrylock - Wed, 19 Feb 2014 07:59:49 EST ID:g6FMjWHI No.12714 Ignore Report Reply
>>12673
unless for zombies, then this is fine.
>>
Hugh Samblekotch - Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:20:51 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12728 Ignore Report Reply
1393100451553.jpg -(670861B / 655.14KB, 700x1031) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12714
Well my intent was for TEOTWAWKI discussion, but /nra/ works just fine.

We could hold a scope discussion for which scopes are more practical for each type of apocalyptic scenario. Or better yet, what type of hunting rifle AND scope would work.

Like, EMP over the continental US, I'd say .17hmr because you can hold just about as many of those as you can .22lr, but it's more accurate and can be used for hunting. But zombies, I'd say something a little bigger but still common. Maybe .223
And if everything is intact but something has destroyed infrastructure, I'd say full on .308
>>
Lillian Climblekat - Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:37:46 EST ID:R7jXgH1u No.12741 Ignore Report Reply
1393371466113.gif -(265270B / 259.05KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12728
>dat pic
>>
Samuel Chigglebutch - Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:44:18 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12747 Ignore Report Reply
>>12741
yeah I will never understand it either. I don't even remember saving it to my computer, but when I was looking for a reply pic, I saw it and I just knew.
>>
Dick Shitpants - Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:12:37 EST ID:kz5fLE3p No.12780 Ignore Report Reply
>>12728

A 4x Leupold would work fine.

If you want the hardiest scope around go with a real Aimpoint or Acog or something. I have seen some optic on Youtube that could be throw 50 feet into the air off a cliff, remounted and still have a decent zero out to 300 yards. US Optics or Air Force or something I think.
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:41:38 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12782 Ignore Report Reply
1394206898030.jpg -(25346B / 24.75KB, 600x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12780
Holy Jesus.

Just looked up the US Optics. Each of those scopes is 4x the price of my rifle at the cheapest.

I ended up buying a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with the BDC. Reasonably priced and I fucking love the Prostaff's BDC. My only concern with it is that it is not shock or drop proof. So in a real SHTF scenario, I still have to be careful with it. Given, I'm not a tacticool operator with loads of experience gunning people down, so even in some severe situations I would probably never need to fire my rifle except to hunt and I won't be tearing through he brush with it and jumping off cliffs.

But it does have a lifetime warranty if mounted and used properly. So that's good. What types of scopes/rifles do you guys have for what emergency scenarios?

>pic is Prostaff BDC
>>
Dick Shitpants - Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:47:13 EST ID:kz5fLE3p No.12783 Ignore Report Reply
>>12782
I never said the hardiest around wasn't cheap you know....

If SHTF ever I would have a shovel and a 226 and maybe an AK. Maybe. I am not one of these tards who is going to "bug out." That shit is the dumbest fucking concept ever. I'm fucking digging a tunnel and I am going to hide out until shit blows over rather than run through the woods with 100 million others running through the woods.
>>
Dick Shitpants - Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:53:24 EST ID:kz5fLE3p No.12784 Ignore Report Reply
Found video btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ewpwPTA6Q#t=32

This is one of them but not the real torture test videos as Youtube banned those.
>>
Ernest Gammernut - Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:22:13 EST ID:mUfbTSeI No.12785 Ignore Report Reply
>>12783

I know what you mean by that, half the people I know with BOB's don't even have a BOL, walking around with all your belonging on your back isn't being some Survivor like Mad Max, it's just being a refugee. You don't want to be a refugee.

NB.
>>
Thomas Bundale - Fri, 07 Mar 2014 20:58:34 EST ID:wBA7gOG/ No.12786 Ignore Report Reply
>>12785
i doubt most people who dont practice living in the woods could even survive being with out food for a few weeks,

if you have a bob, you should at least have a few months of cached food stored.
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Sat, 08 Mar 2014 13:03:55 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12789 Ignore Report Reply
1394301835594.jpg -(34815B / 34.00KB, 600x667) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12784
Holy shit! If I had the money and a rifle that wasn't on the lower-to-medium end of rifles, I'd fucking get that.

>>12783
>>12785
>>12786
yeah, I completely agree. Although I imagine that it'd be neat to do the whole Solo-Survivor thing, there's no fucking way that it's a realistic concept. I mean I have friends and family. I don't want to just go innawoods and ditch them.

Plus, when you boil down how people are gonna act, going in the woods is just a bad idea. In order from most likely emergency to least likely, you have

>city wide (such as a riot or tornado, etc)
>state wide (such as hurricane or earthquake, etc)
>region wide (terrible hurricane that sweeps a coast, blizzard, or virus outbreak, etc)
>country wide (terrible viral outbreak, infrastructure collapse, economic collapse, EMP [lease likely scenario], etc)
>continent wide (very unlikely, total invasion, nuclear strikes, zombies)
>world wide (I don't think this is possible without something bad happening from outerspace. Giant meteor or massive solar storm that fries everything)

Yet everyone always preps for country wide or worse. And even in those cases, people aren't gonna flip their shit on day one. There's gonna be a few weeks where everyone is just waiting for rescue or something and it's only when they start to REALLY get desperate that things will turn bad.

Man, preppers fucking drive me crazy with their innawoods bullshit. I like my house. There's a reason people live in them. Even without AC or plumbing, it's a bad ass shelter WITH BEDS.

I like you guys.
>>
Betsy Mumblelodge - Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:53:21 EST ID:JOHjbqXP No.12796 Ignore Report Reply
>>12789
i was watching a video and the guy was talking about prepper mindset and how much of XXXX do you have, mainly ammo.

his response was how long are you prepping for, a day? a week, a month? whats the point of haing 5000 rounds if you only have enough food for 3 days stocked up and no tp. whats the point of 10 guns if you dont even have enough wood to burn all winter.

most people think their going to play solider with out realizing theres many more things that will and can kill you.
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Mon, 10 Mar 2014 08:47:23 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12797 Ignore Report Reply
>>12796
Aye. I've not seen that video, but I remember reading this article about surviving in Bosnia when nobody was allowed to leave the city and power had been cut for over a year.
"A Year In Hell"
http://www.silverdoctors.com/one-year-in-hellsurviving-a-full-shtf-collapse-in-bosnia/
>>
Dick Shitpants - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:57:19 EST ID:kz5fLE3p No.12807 Ignore Report Reply
>>12789
>I mean I have friends and family. I don't want to just go innawoods and ditch them.

That is one of the major mental blocks that will fuck you in an end of the world scenario. People don't ever want to hear it but if you got old sick or very young people you aren't going to be wading through an end of the world scenario with them. People will get pissed as fuck but you got to be willing to put a bullet into their head or a knife since ammo is sacred and walk on from it. You can't drag them around or even have them around if they can't pull their own weight.

That is just one of the harsh realities preppers probably have never thought about. Then think about killing someone over a can of beans. Then think about wiping your ass with your hand and leaves and then eating later in the day. Then entertain the thought that everybody and their sister and dog knows people have bug out bags now and if you wear anything other than a T-Shirt and jeans you will get your head blown off for your well stocked bag of goodies by a bandit. You won't be able to carry around anything aside from a hidden pistol. Then look at your fat ass and ask yourself, Can I run 10 miles in a day without getting severe blisters and aches, climb up a tree and sprint through heavy woods effectively? Then can I do this even with a 30 pound bookbag on my back? Hell 90% of the people I know can't walk through woods without falling into a stump hole and twisting their ankle. Are you over 35? Sounds like you are fucked. Live in the northeast, southeast or west coat? Yeah, you are fucked too unless you have a well hidden underground shelter. Everyone is going to go to the south to "bug out." There would likely be a person for every 500 feet if the US lost 75% of its' population. If SHTF on a scale of across the country there wouldn't be any hope at all for preppers. They would be the first dead and looted. Hell most "preppers" I know taunt it openly. When the town knows you got a large amount of supplies you are so fucking dead it will happen in the first 2 weeks. Prep for SHTF all you want if it is fun for you to play Fallout IRL or whatever but don't expect to survive anything more than a local/region problem. Guns are the least of your concern too. You could survive SHTF without a gun if you are smart and if you ever had to shoot your gun it would likely mean death 99% of the time. Toting around 1000 rounds of even 45 ACP isn't even possible. Most people couldn't even pick up 1k of 45ACP nor have any idea how much that shit weighs. Avoidance and being hidden is the number 1 way to survival in hostile territory. A ghillie suit to a smart man is better than a M16 with a grenade launcher and infinite ammo to an even smarter man.

I didn't mean for a rant but yeah. Preppers are cray cray to think they going to survive a large scale SHTF.
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 22:57:01 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12809 Ignore Report Reply
1394593021920.jpg -(290770B / 283.96KB, 1280x857) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12807
>you got to be willing to put a bullet into their head

hehehe. Ironically, when having a serious discussion with my girlfriend some time ago, I told her I loved her so much that if she turned into a zombie I'd put a bullet in her head as fast as I could. It meant a lot to her because I also said I'd make sure her kids weren't around to see it.

>You can't drag them around or even have them around if they can't pull their own weight.
Yeah, I'm 10% disabled. Not necessarily crippled, but every one of my packs has a knee brace and I have hiking poles. I'm more of the tinkerer with skills than the muscles. I go camping with my friends a lot and even the most cynical, lone-wolf writers discuss that in a SHTF scenario, it's better to have a group of preppers than being alone. But friends and family are my lifeline. And that article I posted, the guy straight up says,
>"I don’t think big families are extra mouths. Big families means both more guns and strength — and from there, everyone prepares on his own."
as well as
>"Surviving on your own is practically impossible. (That’s what I think.) Even you’re armed and ready, if you’re alone, you’ll die. I have seen that happen many times.
Families and groups, well-prepared, with skills and knowledge in various fields: That’s much better."
that guy wasn't prepping for SHTF. He lived it. I trust his word over every person who thinks about this in theory, including my own judgment.

Seriously. Read that article I posted. He's agreeing with everything you're saying except about ditching people. he says you have to be prepared to do bad things to protect your family and kids, and not everyone in his group made it, so I imagine it's possible that some of the people he was with who didn't make it didn't die from outside forces. And my personal ideas and plans also go along directly with what you're saying. I just think there was a misunderstanding with me saying "I don't want to" as meaning "I refuse to."
I wanna live. If staying with friends/family risks my life and they won't come with me, I'm leaving them.

All my prepping is about food and water and PPE. I have a few bug out bags but they're for different things. My car bag which is daily emergencies like phone battery dying or running out of gas away form home or even needing a spare set of clothes. Then I have my hurricane/storm bag which was designed to get to an emergency shelter or to my family in the mountains of NC if my house is in immediate danger but the threat is temporary.

Then I have my INCH bag and I have a rifle, but I only have 20 rounds of .308 in it. TEOTWAWKI isn't a war. It's survival. 20 rounds used defensively can go a long ways and isn't as important as the gear to survive nature.

But my house has plenty of ammunition, lots of water, I live in Florida (the rain-every-day-in-the-summer State) so I have 50 gallon drum barrels set up to be rain-water filters. We have those heirloom seeds (though I'm not much of a farmer) and the people I live with are solid farmers. We live less than a mile from a lake and I'm decent at fishing. But we also have a lot of stockpiled food. But the most ideal part of this is that we're an hour from the ocean and 30 minutes from one of America's major cities. If you take into account that hierarchy of likely scenarios I posted at
>>12789
then you could assume that if foreign aid is coming, those along the coast will probably receive it first.

But seriously, I'm with you 100% in what you're saying. But I'm not bailing on friends and family right off the bat.
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 22:58:46 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12810 Ignore Report Reply
>>12809
oh Jesus I had no idea I was typing so much. I don't even have a tl;dr synopsis.

Uh I guess
>tl;dr I agree with you and that article agrees with you, but friends and family are my priority right behind my own life. Only if they're survival brings mine into question will I consider leaving them, but upon that moment I know I can.
>>
Jack Ceblingshit - Thu, 13 Mar 2014 00:30:43 EST ID:RBNbFF2n No.12816 Ignore Report Reply
>>12807
Nobody is leaving behind their kids. Humans don't work that way. If you want proof of people surviving without leaving their children see: all of humanity.
>>
Shitting Marringlane - Thu, 13 Mar 2014 07:39:15 EST ID:YQbpBzlB No.12817 Ignore Report Reply
>>12816

There are people who would. I'm fairly certain that I would, if my own survival was at risk. I think it's a sociopathic tendency, which speaks to a lot of other issues. It may be good for survival but it still makes you a terrible human being who is likely to kill others out of fear or paranoia, or for a chance to get supplies than work with them.
>>
Fucking Nacklecherk - Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:09:24 EST ID:lW9dnCit No.12818 Ignore Report Reply
>>12807
You lump preppers entirely together based on your experience which sounds to be from the television.
Everyone has a back pack dip shit, an empty backpack is better than none at all.
Lol @ the only backpacks will be fully stocked BOBs and the only people with bags will be preppers.

You either have a one track mind or think you know everything. Both of which ensure your demise in a catastrophe.

All these idiots saying not to prepare: READ the Serbia article. He is more experience and says to have stocks. I don't give a fuck what your armchair survivalist theories say, im going with experience
>>
Cedric Shakeson - Sun, 16 Mar 2014 02:51:04 EST ID:+VgJAszC No.12828 Ignore Report Reply
>>12782
>lifetime warranty
>SHTF scenarios
>>
Sidney Dallyletch - Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:57:23 EST ID:jRfqEJQH No.12831 Ignore Report Reply
>>12828
yeah I know. But like I said, I'm not gonna be tearing through the brush hunting dudes. The warranty is if it breaks before SHTF at any time. That's what I meant.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.