|>> || |
>In regards to removing toxins, Read a book on syphoning spirits lad. I googled "syphoning spirits", and all I'm seeing is shit about world of warcraft stuff. There was one link to a homebrew store for siphons.
> With anything stronger than 12% or so it's dealing with methanol among others as well (Which will fucking kill you regardless of how big your beer belly be) and if you don't remove that shit from your distillate before you distil.1: Methanol/Ethanol and water are homogenous in the mixture, thanks to diffusion. You will not reduce the amount of methanol or fusel alcohols by siphoning. You are simply wrong about that, and I challenge you to find a reliable source saying otherwise. Look at here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion
2:Methanol and fusel alcohols are removed during distillation, not before. The first shit to come out of a still is methanol (heads). MeOH has the lowest boiling point. Then comes the mixture of ethanol and water. Then more water/ethanol, with some higher alcohols (the tails).
3: The methanol will kill you if you drink the concentrated heads. When it's diluted throughout the ethanol/water mixture, it poses less of a threat. In most cases, you'll die of ethanol poisoning before methanol poisoning. That is why you A: throw out the first portion of distallate. And B: Don't collect the distillate in different fractions. Let it all mix (except for that first bit you throw out, and the last bits you let drip to the waste bucket.
4: The antidote to methanol poisoning is ethanol. So as long as you've got true booze in your mixture you'll be fine. See #1. You want a homogeneous mixture. That mixture is easy to get, thanks to our friend diffusion.
5: I'm not trying to minimize the dangers of methanol. If you manage to concentrate a bunch and drink it, you die. If methanol and fusels are in your booze, you will at least get a worse hangover.
Look at it like this: Wine has a significant amount of methanol in it. Drink a bottle of wine, and most people get a worse than usual hangover. If you were to distill that methanol and drink it, you'd probably be fine except for a headache. If you drank 14 bottles of wine, you'd die of ethanol poisoning. If you distilled the methanol from 14 bottles of wine, you might go blind (it would produce about 1/10 the LD50, so you might even die. Shitty situation). However, if that methanol were dispersed with the ethanol from 14 bottles of wine: a) you'd be drinking some of the antidote b) you'd be drinking a dangerous amount of ethanol to approach the dangerous amount of methanol. MORAL OF THE STORY: THROW THE HEADS OUT.
Now, most methanol produced during fermentation is from hydrolysis of pectin. Red wine has a lot of pectin, which is why I used that as an example. A quick google search showed that the FDA considers 0.1% MeOH safe in red wine, so that's the percentage I assumed with above estimates. I assumed a 100mL LD50 (again, quick google search), meaning anything approaching that is dangerous.
> Well then you just dropped your flash point of your distillate by anywhere in-between 5% to 35% percent. Have fun with the ambiguity mixed with the fire/pressurised container. Not to mention that stuff is poisonous to everything that needs to breathe as well. Say you were distilling pure methanol. Yes, you'd want more ventillation to avoid poisoning. However, It's pretty much the same amount of a fire hazard (pure methanol is a standard organic chemistry solvent. It's not like ether, where you've gotta be on your tippy toes about fire hazard).
>Ah yes, Could be one the leading reasons our lives spans are 3-4 times longer than that of humans who lived less than 300 years ago. No, It's the reason brewers, winemakers, monks and alcoholics didn't get cholera. Disinfectants are very important for surgery and open wounds. Fortunately, a low pH in a liquid is all that's needed to prevent pathogenic microbes from growing. I don't know why acidophile pathogenic bacteria in liquid media don't seem to exist, but I'm glad the niche isn't filled. THere might be an exception to that rule, but if so, it's rare enough to ignore.
>Personal note, My setup is actually quite bitching, That image just represents the absolute basics, Yanno layman terms.Oh, so it's just an illustrative diagram? Or do you have a similar setup? Feel free to get technical, I'm a chemist. If you have a similar setup, kudos. It's atypical, but cool.
Check out the website I mentioned. There's lots of misinformation about distilling, and you seem to have absorbed a lot of it (happens to the best of us).