Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 10)
Gardening in Post-Apocalyptica Ignore Report Reply
Graham Wullyridge - Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:58:26 EST ID:DphJKqER No.12793
File: 1394380706783.jpg -(64598B / 63.08KB, 500x374) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 64598
Just wondering if any of you guys garden or plan on taking up the trade in order to better prepare yourselves. I've never gardened before but I'm planning on starting one very soon, as soon as the piles of old ice and snow melts and the temperature starts resembling spring. I was planning on a companion garden, where you plant certain combinations of plants, flowers, shrubs, grasses, or other veggies next to your garden in order to attract natural predators that eat garden pests, and certain combinations promote healthier growth. If all goes well, I want to expand my garden into a landscaped permaculture garden.

I think gardening and growing your own food is extremely important, and a skill worth knowing. I feel we as people are losing our connection with the land we live on and the food we eat.
>>
Nigel Blunningdock - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:25:54 EST ID:9LLFTj2a No.12801 Ignore Report Reply
If you've never gardened before then jumping straight into a permaculture garden is going to royally piss you off.

Firstly gathering information on what insects and bugs are around as well as the underlying mycology, Is tedious.
Since you're doing this in your garden the internet will not help you find out what's there.
So you need to gather insect samples using traps and tarps. Take them to your local bug collector (They normally hide in museums). He'll give you an analysis. Which if you're lucky it'll be a short list. Once you've got that list you now need to do it again about 4 times a year. Or up until you have a good idea of which bugs are in your garden during which seasons. Now you can start looking at your garden and actually being able to decide what plants to put down and what to pull up.

>and certain combinations promote healthier growth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy
Have fun going insane. Nature can take a beating so there's no need to easy on it. The complexity of the reactions is just not worth learning unless you plan to do an ass-full of experimentation and research hopefully turning it into a major career.
>>
William Hebberchutch - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:34:39 EST ID:ytnjL0GM No.12802 Ignore Report Reply
I'm do it because I enjoy it and I think it tastes better than store bought stuff. Don't start doing it because you think you have to or you won't keep up with it. Depending on where you live it may be too late to start your seeds.

If you want any advice just ask, I'm not a professional but I've been doing it for a few years now and I can help you avoid the stupid mistakes I made. But heads up, you will make a lot of them and kill quite a few plants. Everyone does.
>>
William Hebberchutch - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:39:23 EST ID:ytnjL0GM No.12803 Ignore Report Reply
>>12801
Also, this. Just plant a "normal" garden for right now. And as far as I'm conserned there is nothing wrong with using hybrids to start off with (or regularly) they're just plain easier to grow and will teach you everything you need to know. Good luck finding a legitimate source of non-GMO corn.

Buy a hoe and fucking weed regularly.
>>
William Hebberchutch - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:40:55 EST ID:ytnjL0GM No.12804 Ignore Report Reply
>>12803
>conserned
Fuck me.
>>
Shitting Blirrymag - Tue, 11 Mar 2014 23:14:55 EST ID:CrdpRSb+ No.12811 Ignore Report Reply
>>12801
This.

Start small. All you need OP is a patch to LEARN how to garden if you are starting. Don't jump in the deep end of the pool.
>>
Albert Cheblingson - Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:32:28 EST ID:AAa1CAly No.12812 Ignore Report Reply
>>12793

Thinking of post apocalyptic conditions, society is only not ruralized because of modern farming implements. If there's a significant drop in population, there's sociologically no way for society to be urbanized.
Power could center in urban concetrations, but the bulk of the population would have to be on the contryside for shit to work. Industrial revolution is the only reason it's not like this nowadays.
>>
Charlotte Nicklefield - Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:03:52 EST ID:PEZyd0pP No.12819 Ignore Report Reply
>>12803
> Good luck finding a legitimate source of non-GMO corn
No it's not. The type of corn you want to grow is sweet corn. GMO sweet corn is rare. If you're planting a field, It's more difficult to find corn that you can allow to go to seed, and re-plant. That's a pre-GMO trick, and is beneficial because heterozygous corn (pairs a recessive gene with a dominant gene) grows better than homozygous. If you're planting a small plot, then it's easy to find whatever corn you want.

A three sisters garden is pretty awesome. It's corn, beans and squash. They are grown close together. The corn acts like support, the beans replenish soil and the squash blocks out weeds' light.
http://blogs.cornell.edu/garden/get-activities/signature-projects/the-three-sisters-exploring-an-iroquois-garden/how-to-plant-the-three-sisters/
>>
Priscilla Fallybury - Sun, 16 Mar 2014 02:19:35 EST ID:XUUwFEyB No.12825 Ignore Report Reply
>>12803

I already got plenty of hoes and weed, ill make sure to stock up for the a pocalypse tho
>>
Hannah Pockfield - Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:10:09 EST ID:7UKzYljI No.13879 Ignore Report Reply
>>12801

i agree, jumping off the deep end and going all-in on the little details all at once is gonna piss you off and burn you out real fast.

if you still want to get hot and heavy into it as a hobby for now, or for growing food or spices, your best bet would be to do weed mulching, compost piles, and possibly manure fertilization.... also, observing and mimicking nature is going to go a very long way towards helping you.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.