Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

How realistic is Walking Dead?

- Sun, 16 Mar 2014 02:48:40 EST onZUkIr9 No.12827
File: 1394952520996.jpg -(9866B / 9.63KB, 252x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. How realistic is Walking Dead?
What would Walking Dead like in a REALISTIC post apocalyptic scenario?
>>
Betsy Brizzleway - Sun, 16 Mar 2014 04:47:30 EST AqZfEERQ No.12829 Reply
On a realism scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 7.

Realistic:
-Prisons serve as a great safe-house.
-Major characters are killed off on a regular basis.
-Pregnant women have a greater chance to die giving birth.
-Babies are total liabilities.
-Rival groups fight each other for territory and supplies.

Far-fetched:
-A divided group eventually find each other.
-Driving everywhere yet never refueling.
-Amputation can reverse symptoms of zombification.
-Tanks are still fully operational.
>>
Edward Songerwedging - Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:37:06 EST /JPl/KOk No.12833 Reply
Honestly I would give it a far lower score but thats because im very skeptical of a zombie apocalypse. Mostly being that they dont give military power the credit it deserves, humans have been killing each other for millions of years and we are at the apex of human extermination. Most of the time the part that makes war hard is the fact that the enemy runs and hides. In a zombie apocalypses your enemy not only doesn't think it barely fights back. With the fact that we have a huge arsenal of weapons that can kill humans by the fucking ton and can wipe whole cities off the map without a single soldier being lost I think that it would only be a challenge to keep the major infrastructure online. Cities would relocate to be around nuclear power plants as they have the most reliability and create the most power and it would defiantly be a very bad thing but end of the world? I think not
>>
Phineas Drirrylock - Tue, 18 Mar 2014 01:29:52 EST sqaqUUf8 No.12834 Reply
Apart from the obvious "corpses rising while violating thermodynamics in the process", pretty realistic. Every piece of science or fantastic fiction is allowed one big lie at least without breaking suspension of disbelief.

If the world was put in a situation where every corpse gets back up after a few minutes to hours unless it had the brain sufficiently damaged and tries eating people I think things would break down pretty quickly. It actually comes off as more believable than only a bite from something that's already undead turning someone.

Thing I like about the Walking Dead is that it runs with the idea that the various people who survive are more dangerous than the zombies. That even is one of the main things in the original "Night of the Living Dead". The classic stupid shambling Romero zombie is easy to avoid if you have half a brain. It's the sadistic psychopaths like the Governer and Negan that are the biggest threat.

>>12829

The Walking Dead heavily implies (both comic and series) that getting bitten only turns a person into a zombie because it's the equivalent of pressing an open wound onto a rotting corpse in the real world and a person only rises from the subsequent sepsis because of a virus that every human is benignly carrying at this point. There isn't a specifc "zombie virus" that kills you, it's the shit ton of bacteria and viruses the walking, rotting corpses are carrying.

Amputation preventing zombification actually makes sense if becoming a zombie is caused by a specific virus or a bunch of opportunistic microorganisms the zombies would be carrying.

Up until reliable antibiotics and antiseptics were discovered the only way to prevent gangrene for serious injuries on a limb was amputation followed by immediate cauterization/debriding.

Seriously look up what the primary practice was for getting bitten by a wild animal or shot in the 1600-1700s. If you wanted to live you get the affected part removed and sealed with searing hot tar or an open flame.

The thing that bothered me the most was the time skip of a few months where they were apparently scavenging with tens of miles around the prison without ever stumbling across the damn thing.
>>
Edward Shakebury - Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:35:11 EST 7DlAAO+3 No.12837 Reply
Walking dead is interesting psychologically and socially.

However the actual zombies are impossible. IRL zombies would be people infected by a rage-virus kind of like resident evil style. Whilst Walking dead is just undead, Which quite simply ignores the way bodies work. Without oxygen/water our cells can't get rid of waste products from ATP creation, These waste products are generally acidic and flesh exposed to a low PH acid will melt away after constant and prolonged exposure.

Technically speaking the undead in walking dead should just piles of mush, or worse like lepers that just want to kill you except they would fall apart after about 4 or 5 days. Longer if you exercise them.

Which is another thing, If they can't pump blood, they can't get rid of lactic acid, So after about 5 or so minutes or running there legs would just seize up and they'd just face plant, Same with the clawing, except there arms would fold in and stiffen so they'd look like old grannies carrying non-existent shopping bags.
Presuming there is no way for the lactic acid to be removed, There muscles will stiffen and never unstiffen until they've rotted to the point that they just don't work anymore.
>>
Fuck Crosslecheck - Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:02:03 EST kGoCHGW+ No.12853 Reply
Last of Us had a way better zombie apocalypse. All they did to make their zombies was take a real, current parasitic fungus that infects the host and influences its behavior to further the spread of itself along, and changed it just enough to infect humans. Cordyceps infests an ant, and makes it climb to the top of a blade of grass or something so a cow or a bird will eat it, because it wants to be in that animals digestive tract.

These zombie scenarios always involve the infected attacking people, it would be way worse if the zombies were just people full of fungus who would bloat up, wander around and emit invisible clouds of spores to infect other people until the death of the host. Then, mushrooms would grow on the body and boom, you have a beginning and end to the deadly mushroom cycle. Defend THAT, military.
>>
Emma Mipperput - Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:13:35 EST Ft3HtN53 No.12854 Reply
1395432815504.png -(147734B / 144.27KB, 411x387) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12834
With that logic, would't antibiotics stop the sesis?
was an interesting theory till common sense kicked in
>>
Jenny Crucklesere - Sun, 23 Mar 2014 03:35:07 EST ytnjL0GM No.12859 Reply
1395560107139.jpg -(60305B / 58.89KB, 570x238) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The directors gun knowledge is lacking (half of the guns in the show are lacking sights, no one can aim for shit when it matters, leaving guns/ammo exposed to the elements, etc.), somehow there is magically gasoline everywhere, and you know, zombies.

But 6/10. I like that is shows people are by their very nature pack animals, they like company and work better in groups.
>>
Wesley Dappermack - Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:42:54 EST ZMvQzgsH No.12860 Reply
>>12859
"Whatever it is that caused the dead to get up and start eating people also changed the way guns work" -Robert Kirkman

The comic books are much more realistic than the TV show, much better written too.
>>
Cedric Wibberbury - Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:57:13 EST aFGFhtp2 No.12861 Reply
As a fan of all things zombie I found it to be a really crap show to be honest. It seemed very unrealistic in large parts (I realise it has to be for good tv but it didn't even make good tv). The idea of him being in hospital at the start was done before in 28 Days later so didn't feel clever or interesting. The whole thing seemed unnecessarily over Americanised, him riding into the city in the first series on a fucking horse wearing that stupid ass hat (herpderp I am da sheriff) would you really do that in a survival situation?

Also a zombie apocalypse unfortunately wouldn't end the human race or be that hard to deal with. Zombies are only human at the end of the day, even with super strength/stamina they have the limits of speed/agility of humans (even if you say the zombies are fast and have full motor skills etc.). A human couldn't break my front door down without a tool so why could a zombie? We would just move to safer places, build better doors and close them, the city would be dangerous due to lack of room + high pop density but people living outside of cities would have little problem dealing with the infected. If zombies have to bite you to infect you then it won't be that hard to stop getting bitten, get in a car, stay in a house, wear protective clothing, stay away from zombies... Like even if we couldn't fight them we would easily be able to avoid contact with them. Also humans use tools, zombies don't. Shit I'll just stand on my roof and bam the zombies can't even touch me. So basically I think it wouldn't be too hard for humans to live happily in a zombie infected world, if the infection even managed to spread to large amounts of people. Without using tools zombies would be ridiculously easy to deal with, if a brain dead human tried to kill me with only his bare hands/teeth and I knew in advance then I'd easily be able to avoid/kill him.

Being lazy and can't be bothered explaining what I mean much more but someone's probably written what I mean up better somewhere on the internet.
>>
Angus Huvingson - Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:09:55 EST AqZfEERQ No.12863 Reply
1395623395347.jpg -(201642B / 196.92KB, 1256x809) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12834
That makes sense about sepsis, I forgot it's simply death that starts the zombification process (excluding the fact they're all carriers of course). I remember reading some fucking grisly shit that went down in civil war field hospitals like amputating infected limbs with gigantic gunshot wounds.

>>12861
>him riding into the city in the first series on a fucking horse wearing that stupid ass hat (herpderp I am da sheriff) would you really do that in a survival situation?

I think you missed the point, his cowboy sheriff act got him stuck in the tank remember? If anything it proves acting like an arrogant American jackass will get you killed.

It makes sense that he might want to suit up and try to remain 'under control' like he would be trained to do before SHTF, especially given the fact he was in a coma when it all started so he knows very little about zombie behavior or how they have changed the environment.
>>
Frederick Werryspear - Mon, 24 Mar 2014 01:20:31 EST ytnjL0GM No.12866 Reply
>>12861
The comic was written before 28 days later and that was what happened. They've been getting farther and farther away from the source material and it shows. The first season was the best.

That particular trope was used originally in the book "Day of the Triffids" if you are looking for originality.
>>
Jarvis Fallerwick - Mon, 24 Mar 2014 05:05:47 EST 4LbxpGQ5 No.12867 Reply
>>12863
how do you live being in coma (a coma?) when no one there is to insert the feeding tube and shit.

that right there always boggled my mind.
>>
Graham Bragglehood - Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:32:22 EST sqaqUUf8 No.12869 Reply
>>12854

True, but it's a post apocalyptic setting, you can't just run down to the local pharmacy or hospital to get antibiotics because they're either crawling with undead or picked clean months/years ago.

I recall that the Zombie Survival guide pointed out that a hospital would actually be one of the worst places you could go in an undead apocalypse because they would be where all the initial infectees would have been taken.

In the TV series they end up raiding an abandoned veterinary college for medical supplies because all the pharmacies and hospitals that the group can get too have already been picked clean by themselves or other survivors. The college was relatively untouched because it was more out of the way and was less obvious than hospitals or pharmacies.
>>
Dick Shitpants - Tue, 25 Mar 2014 06:40:20 EST Ocqdo73e No.12871 Reply
About a 1 out of ten.

Everyone is still alive despite the fact that nobody has proper sights on any of their guns and nobody hardly sues melee weapons so they would try and shoot zombies with no sights, miss, bring in tons of zombies, and then promptly be raped to death.

Not even Crossbro has sights on his bow.
>>
Nigger Dossletotch - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 04:29:16 EST AqZfEERQ No.12874 Reply
1395822556721.jpg -(57055B / 55.72KB, 595x396) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12867
People can go awhile without food. Notice when Rick first wakes up he immediately takes a drink from the faucet. Water would be the real killer.

It's worth noting we will never know how long Rick was in a coma. All we know is that Shane's flowers were already flaky and decayed after he wakes up. So it could be a matter of days or weeks.
>>
Oliver Hallermot - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:14:21 EST c0hg6mdZ No.12876 Reply
>>12874
You turn into a zombie yourself pretty fast without food.
It gets hard to focus on simple task within days
A 10 minute walk is exhausting like a days hiking in the mountains.
Fever flashes and shivers when they body gets trouble regulating temperature
>>
Simon Sonnerkedging - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:24:09 EST 99ovU0W2 No.12877 Reply
>>12867
IV fluids. Extra slow drip. Keep someone alive for atleast 5 days. Then three to dry up. I say Rick was only out like a week or so AFTER the shtf.
>>
Ian Drunningwater - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:24:08 EST AqZfEERQ No.12878 Reply
1395887048739.jpg -(93530B / 91.34KB, 720x381) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12876
Rick seemed to go through that in episode one, wandering around the hospital and suburbs before he met Morgan.

I almost forgot:
>Using guts to disguise yourself as zombies
>Using zombie pets as zombie repellent

I would say the former is far more likely than the latter.
>>
Phyllis Socklemen - Sun, 30 Mar 2014 14:20:18 EST jgriEP67 No.12898 Reply
>>12833
The problem the military can't handle is the sheer number of the infected. In the early days no one knows how to kill the infected and major cities are the worst off because of population density, basically making them belong to the dead within days if not hours. Because they only die by head injury, thinks like tanks and missiles are useless (while unrelated see: Battle of Yonkers in World War Z). Even you had an army of fearless soldiers carefully picking off the heads of millions upon millions of zombies that are quickly surrounding you and breaking down any barricades, there simply isn't enough ammo for all of them.

Since I'm a new visitor to this board and because I'm probably saying things that everyone already knows, nb.
>>
Molly Bricklestone - Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:35:56 EST FwBBagZ1 No.12906 Reply
>>12898
I don't care what your fake book said. Explosions cause massive head injurys from the shock wave alone. In real explosions, people's ears bleed all the time. Not to mention the shrapnel.

Corrall al zombies into field. Two strafe runs with a warthog, clean the rest up with apaches. Use a jdam if u r lazy
>>
Martha Neddlepodge - Mon, 31 Mar 2014 00:25:00 EST 8djb+eAN No.12914 Reply
The walking dead is completely unrealistic, what bullshit.

>Zombies attracted to fire, ignore everything else.
>Using two zombies as repellent.
>Clean clothes.
>Clean hair.
>Zombie skulls are like butter.
>Characters constantly using blades and blunt objects to decapitate zombies in close quarters, but not getting infected from the blood splatter in their mouths/eyes/open-wounds.
>Afterwards, their clothes aren't soaked in blood.
>They constantly find safe drinking water.

Idk, there is a ton of shit I see on this show that remind me of it being another drama program.
>>
Frederick Siddleput - Mon, 31 Mar 2014 00:37:51 EST 2YIQD5dq No.12915 Reply
>>12914
you realize that people lived for a long ass time with out all the modern convinces that we have now to keep clean and find water right?

they are all infected already so the blood doesnt matter. and with out a heart to make the blood shoot it would just ooze

and rotten flesh is pretty soft id assume
>>
Martha Turveywill - Mon, 31 Mar 2014 08:07:22 EST +cFUefxM No.12921 Reply
>>12914
>Zombies attracted to fire, ignore everything else.
I'll give you that one, it's pretty silly.

>Using two zombies as repellent.
The stench from the severed arms/jaws envelops you, providing the same protection that wearing their guts does.

>They constantly find safe drinking water.
It isn't safe, they mention having to boil it on one occasion.

As for everything else see Frederick's post.
>>
Whitey Fanham - Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:48:41 EST kGoCHGW+ No.12923 Reply
>>12915
When Rick went back to see that black dude, Morgan I think his name was, he had a bunch of scrawled notes on a chalkboard or something, a few of which amounted to "splashed with blood=sick for a few days."

That was a pretty neat scene, even though it wasn't in the comics.
>>
Jarvis Tootman - Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:56:07 EST QChUolRS No.12967 Reply
1397663767911.jpg -(28043B / 27.39KB, 610x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12827
>Amputation can reverse symptoms of zombification
That's not the case in The Walking Dead adventure games. Not sure which one is canon haven't read the comics.
>>
Nell Fonderdid - Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:10:25 EST 7hfSekKc No.12970 Reply
1397686225369.jpg -(140294B / 137.01KB, 641x534) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12967
they try it in the comics but it doesn't work
>>
Basil Bunhood - Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:56:06 EST sqaqUUf8 No.12975 Reply
>>12970

Amputation is shown to work in the comics but not reliably. Dale is bitten and survives by having the affected leg amputated.

Before that, the same thing was tried with Allen and it didn't work.
>>
Rebecca Pugglewater - Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:47:23 EST TLb2NfrM No.12976 Reply
>>12967

The implication is that you have been bitten for a long ass time when you are given the amputation option. I cant speak for the comics but in the show at least Dales amputation is done minutes in.
Even then its all fucking plot filler anyway, if they're already infected then the only logic I can assume is that bites kill you via introduction of rotten flesh into the wound and therefore antibiotics and proper wound cleaning should prevent death.
>>
Matilda Cliffingford - Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:44:28 EST lwVxAFg5 No.12978 Reply
>>12967
>>12975
Amputation to stop infection has been portrayed inconsistently in the games, show, and (I gather, haven' t read most of them ) the comics. Since according to the canon everyone is already infected, the only reason why a bite would 'zombify' you would be if it killed you the way a normal human bite would (ie blood loss and infection). For what it's worth, human bites are notoriously infectious and I'm sure a rotting human would be quite a bit worse.

The most generous way to interpret the way amputation is shown to affect zombification is that it (possibly) helps prevent the spread of microorganisms in the wound to the rest of the body if it's performed immediately, but that the amputation itself causes major blood loss and the potential for infection from the resulting injury. The best thing would probably be to clean it out and bandage the bite and then fill the victim up with antibiotics. But I don't think Lee in the game even knew that he had been infected with the 'zombie virus' all along and so amputating his arm made more sense as an option because he thought the most important thing was to keep the zombie virus out of his system rather than treat a regular infection. He then died of infection/bloodloss later. I thought it was sort of stupid of Rick to hack off Hershell's leg like that, but sometimes people do stupid things. It was an emergency and he didn't really have much time to think it through.

The less generous way to interpret it is that the writers are too stupid to keep the canon consistent. I prefer not to think of it that way.
>>
Charles Greenfield - Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:57:18 EST AqZfEERQ No.12979 Reply
>>12978
>I thought it was sort of stupid of Rick to hack off Hershell's leg like that, but sometimes people do stupid things. It was an emergency and he didn't really have much time to think it through.

Yeah I think Rick knew they would need to either amputate his leg and hope for the best or spend who-knows-how-much time searching the zombie-infested prison for antibiotics for the only competent doctor in the group.
>>
Jarvis Handlemene - Sun, 20 Apr 2014 02:56:04 EST +VgJAszC No.12983 Reply
>>12898
>they only die by head injury
An immobile zombie is just as good as a dead one.
>>
Lydia Miblingnudge - Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:15:22 EST Mw8B73eF No.12984 Reply
>>12983

I respectfully disagree
An immoble zombie can still bite, and though the threat might not be a problem for you..you could fuck up someones day really bad down the road, or if you are unlucky enough to come across the same zombie you thought was incapcitated

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.