Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
All Electronics Go Down Ignore Report Reply
Shit Pavingway - Tue, 20 May 2014 00:50:43 EST ID:YD4NFAFX No.13062
File: 1400561443774.jpg -(27605B / 26.96KB, 610x343) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 27605
So one day all electronics go down, then the food in everyones fridge (including the grocery stores) starts going bad. There is still more food that doesnt need refrigeration but distribution is interrupted oh and also everyone whos money is in the bank and not physical have no access to any of their money.
What happens next?
>>
Priscilla Creshchun - Tue, 20 May 2014 01:07:45 EST ID:g6FMjWHI No.13063 Ignore Report Reply
1400562465392.jpg -(4163B / 4.07KB, 128x120) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've lived through a couple of surprisingly long blackouts in NYC and it's been okay overall, the cell towers stop working when the grid goes down, stores throw out all of their still frozen ice cream, and neighbors band together and help out. FEMA is incompetent, don't rely on them, Occupy Sandy did way better relief work durring the last power outage. Fill your tub with water in case upstream pumps fail, hopefully have a flashlight otherwise you're only doing stuff during the day, walk to where there is an operating atm and take out more cash than you think you'll need if you can. Otherwise, go knock on your dealers door, smoke more, and chill out..
>>
Albert Drumblehire - Tue, 20 May 2014 09:00:52 EST ID:NwDcBVP/ No.13064 Ignore Report Reply
The power grid in the US is quite fragile and it's not much better in other countries. I suggest learning more about electricity as building your own power supplies is not as difficult as you might imagine. Search engines are your friend. If people see lights they'll flock to you, use this to help them make power elsewhere!

The whole point of sustainable energy is to get rid of the idea of the 'power grid' altogether. This of course requires a struggle, possibly to the death, with power brokers who try to control the world.

Totally worth it btw.
>>
Phyllis Pockgold - Tue, 20 May 2014 19:44:55 EST ID:YddvR68W No.13065 Ignore Report Reply
1400629495183.jpg -(807923B / 788.99KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13064

This.

I've met a couple people that installed solar panels on their houses with back up batteries in their basement. Add rainwater collectors and they told me 90% of their utility costs were nonexistent. The only thing they still payed for was gas and of course fresh water for their sinks and bathtubs and such. I've personally been looking more into using grey water for gardening and toilets. You'd be amazed how much fresh water gets wasted due to inefficiency.

I've heard of people using geothermal energy as well, though I can't really speak on any of that as I don't have much experience with it.
>>
Angus Doblingbanks - Wed, 21 May 2014 05:01:24 EST ID:B6Mfdh0f No.13067 Ignore Report Reply
Recent NYT article about a memo released by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said that simultaneous attacks on a handful of substations around the country could cripple the power grid. If transformers were targeted it could take months to special-order them to be made.
>>
Hedda Gallerdore - Thu, 22 May 2014 07:11:27 EST ID:g6FMjWHI No.13069 Ignore Report Reply
1400757087255.jpg -(476230B / 465.07KB, 1573x1173) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13067
just if some asshole linesman just 'unplugged' some of these high tension power lines, multiple states would go dark.
Everybody needs solar, that's all.
>>
Edwin Fongersure - Thu, 22 May 2014 07:31:51 EST ID:DDYhgifA No.13070 Ignore Report Reply
what really matters is how long the power has been down. obviously fema and the us gaurd will step in and keep order for a short amount of time, say maybe a month, but after that im sure peoples unreset and thoughts about power never comming back will bring out the worst in people. having a solar array on your house will be a giant flag saying that you have some power already and likely to have other supplies that people will want. you should not advertise your prepardness, especially for a long term grid down situation.

id say for the first week itd be cake, especially if its spring or fall and people arent dying of heat or cold. most people will have enough bull shit around the house for them to last that long. the next week will be riots of the least prepared. the dumb will end up in government camps ment to provide aide but will likely be prison camps you arent aloud to leave because they asked for assistance. by week two i think you'd see more general riots especially in areas that are poorer and have little police presence but even that will likely disapear by week three when the cops start having the same issues the people have.

id say by week four of no power at all and no communication from the government that you'd see a full break down of the current system. people would start setting up local governements and im sure rioting and looting would be rampant.
>>
John Fibblewell - Fri, 23 May 2014 04:39:28 EST ID:eA6WbuxZ No.13072 Ignore Report Reply
>>13069
Fuck, here in Canada, someone took apart one of those towers for god damn scrap sell.
>>
lil' shit - Fri, 23 May 2014 15:11:34 EST ID:q0nGICUi No.13074 Ignore Report Reply
>>13062
Don't buy too much lead, I think graphene capacitors are on their way and it's gonna be fucking dope. If corporations let it happen soon enough.
>>
Frederick Gillerfield - Sat, 24 May 2014 18:12:58 EST ID:g6FMjWHI No.13079 Ignore Report Reply
so we got energy harvesting cell phones that don't need a charge
now all we need is p2p nodes to connect them when the tower goes down
there's plenty of EMR that's not going anywhere

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/413744/wireless-power-harvesting-for-cell-phones/
>>
Cedric Buzzworth - Sat, 12 Jul 2014 00:56:15 EST ID:bdX/n4MD No.13244 Ignore Report Reply
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/fiction/lightsout1-10.pdf
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/fiction/lightsout11-20.pdf
This is a pretty well researched... novelette? Following one group of survivors following a nationwide EMP event.
>>
Cedric Buzzworth - Sat, 12 Jul 2014 01:48:19 EST ID:bdX/n4MD No.13247 Ignore Report Reply
>>13072
Someone tried that in Russia, while the line was live.
...It didn't end well. NSFW, or your stomach.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030608150012/http://vatican.rotten.com/powerline/
>>
Beatrice Lightdale - Sun, 13 Jul 2014 01:56:54 EST ID:G8s7VP7o No.13249 Ignore Report Reply
>>13079

Mesh Networking
>>
Beatrice Lightdale - Sun, 13 Jul 2014 02:14:30 EST ID:G8s7VP7o No.13250 Ignore Report Reply
>>13062

I advise you read "One Second After" OP and some of the findings of the Congressional EMP Commission.

http://www.empcommission.org/

I got my hands on all kinds of declassified technical manuals, effects reports, scientific periodicals, ect... published during the hayday of our nuclear testing. Every thing from EMP to Effects on Agriculture, Ocular Effects to Structure Engineering., Biological Effects, Psychological Effects, ect... pretty much anything you could want about nuclear weapons and their effects.
>>
Molly Dennermetch - Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:46:39 EST ID:Smob10P3 No.13255 Ignore Report Reply
>>13250
A nuke couldn't take down all electronics, The EMP has a blast range that is similar to the the kill zone of a nuke.
A 1 megaton nuke would destroy any electronics within 4 miles, and damage electronics within a 10 mile radius.
Which is similar to the 1 week kill zone of a 1 megaton bomb.

Basically if it destroys your phone, You've easily got enough radiation poisoning to start haemorrhaging blood out of your pores. Ie: Fucked and beyond saving. As such it wouldn't really matter.

Bike power is your best options in case of blackout.
With a car inverter and car batteries, Mixed with a variable AC to DC converter you can power anything.
Solar cells and wind turbines come in a close second and third but are wholly unreliable.
>>
Fuck Fettinghood - Sat, 19 Jul 2014 12:50:09 EST ID:G8s7VP7o No.13277 Ignore Report Reply
>>13255

>>A nuke couldn't take down all electronics, The EMP has a blast range that is similar to the the kill zone of a nuke.

I think 72 years of testing and documentation disagrees. EMP does not have a "blast range", it's electromagnetic energy, it doesn't have any explosive energy. It travels until it is dissipated.

Yield is not a mitigating factor when EMP is concerned, as shown in various tests such as Argus, Teak, Orange, Yucca, Starfish Prime, ect...

Starfish Prime was a 1.4MT W49 nuclear warhead on a MK.II reentry vehicle launched over Johnston Atoll via a Thor Missile. The missile reached an altitude of 680mi upon where the Mk.II was separated from the Thor Missile and allowed gravitational reentry into the atmosphere, At an altitude of 250mi during it's downward trajectory the W49 warhead was detonated over Johnson Atoll.

The detonation destroyed communications links, lighting, and other electrical services in Honolulu and various other Hawaiian Islands 900mi away.

>>A 1 megaton nuke would destroy any electronics within 4 miles, and damage electronics within a 10 mile radius.Which is similar to the 1 week kill zone of a 1 megaton bomb.Basically if it destroys your phone.

A nuclear device doesn't have a "kill zone", unless you're referring to the "Fireball Radius" which has no baring on the EMP.

There is also no such thing as a "1 Week Kill Zone", unless you're referring to the period of time that fallout continues to fall from the atmosphere, which is generally considered two weeks among authorities on the subject, but that time frame is dependant on the materials used in the tamper and core.

>> You've easily got enough radiation poisoning to start haemorrhaging blood out of your pores. Ie: Fucked and beyond saving. As such it wouldn't really matter.

Two completely different types of radiation at work. EMP doesn't effect biologicals, that would be Gamma, Beta, and Alpha.

>>Bike power is your best options in case of blackout.

Debatable.

>>With a car inverter and car batteries, Mixed with a variable AC to DC converter you can power anything.

Not if the components, such as the solenoid have been damaged as a result of EMP.

>>Solar cells and wind turbines come in a close second and third but are wholly unreliable.

Both would be completely trashed as a result of EMP.
>>
Emma Grandbury - Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:37:42 EST ID:prMxf2E0 No.13278 Ignore Report Reply
Timely, since I went through a four day blackout last week. Since I'm on a well, no power = no water. I got some toilet flushing water by draining the water heater and fetching water from a nearby lake, and bought a huge jug of spring water to drink and brush teeth. Some stores had generators including one supermarket and all of the gas stations.

My Internet connection ceased to function on the second day and we lived on cell service (which stayed operational the whole blackout). We charged our things with batteries from the truck with an inverter whenever we drove anywhere.

We lost $150 of food in the fridge and our phone bill is probably going to be over $9000 from internets usage. We had to take sponge baths (which aren't that bad actually) but I couldn't wash my hair.

Good times. At least it didn't happen in February.
>>
Fuck Ninderway - Tue, 05 Aug 2014 02:23:41 EST ID:kI6Y0z/g No.13299 Ignore Report Reply
>>13278
you should get a backup hand-pump for the well, or a generator, probably similar price range.
>>
Faggy Gugglefid - Sat, 03 Jan 2015 01:10:26 EST ID:4xfGAs3y No.13664 Ignore Report Reply
>>13062
i don't care i'm anorexic lol i can live with some apples and diet soda per day
>>
Beatrice Dicklesick - Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:46:28 EST ID:kGoCHGW+ No.13670 Ignore Report Reply
1420569988149.gif -(53173B / 51.93KB, 343x521) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13277
I really, really hate to do this because your post was golden but adding "a" after "via" is redundant, yo

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.