Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Prevent your water from getting turned off Ignore Report Reply
Fuck Pessleshaw - Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:56:48 EST ID:6u4z0yBf No.13256
File: 1405371408136.jpg -(130575B / 127.51KB, 500x708) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 130575
Times are getting rough
>>
Cedric Nudgechirk - Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:59:13 EST ID:NwDcBVP/ No.13257 Ignore Report Reply
>>13256

This is neat info, I always like these. Question; why are the city municipalities shutting people's water off in Detroit?
>>
Nell Brubberworth - Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:36:32 EST ID:Smob10P3 No.13258 Ignore Report Reply
I like the info-graphic, But it is essentially pointless.

That tap outside does not actually pump water. It simply allows water into your system.

That does not prevent someone from turning off the pump.
Like all utilities they require a lot of maintenance and control to keep them going, If they wanted to disable the water to an entire street, They can do that from the water maintenance office.
It's there for safety and maintenance reasons.

Iā€™m surprised someone thought that water just happens because of a single valve in your garden.
>>
Graham Demmlewirk - Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:40:31 EST ID:xzDmR73B No.13259 Ignore Report Reply
>>13258
>>13257
If you don't pay your water (or sewer) bills, then the city/county/state can shut off your water. They do so with a simple device in the OP (though at least in east coast cities, it's usually somewhere in the street).

Obviously there are other ways to shut the water off. And I think most places would replace the valve/prosecute you if they could prove it was you. I doubt they give a shit in Detroit, especially when shutting off the water is controversial
http://www.npr.org/2014/07/10/330325100/detroit-shuts-off-water-as-it-tries-to-collect-millions-in-overdue-bills
>So far this year, the water utility has shut off the spigots to 17,000 customers. It wants people to do pay their overdue bills.

>Many critics say that even if the showoff campaign is necessary, it's been handled badly. There is no big public outreach campaign to warn people that massive shutoffs were coming, no consideration of whether children or seniors lived in a home and no amnesty program like the city ran when it recently hiked rates on parking tickets. That led activists here to petition a United Nations panel, which later declared the shut offs a human rights violation if they affect people truly unable to pay. This fight is also about who owes money to the water department but hasn't had their water shut off. Put both GM and Chrysler on that list, both owed millions, though Chrysler has since paid up and GM is disputing its bill. Even the city of Detroit itself owes more than $20 million for its municipal buildings, though it's paid almost 4 million and the rest of the bill is under review. And Michigan owns almost $5 million for the former state fairgrounds. Though state officials say that Bill was caused by leaky pipes, they shouldn't be responsible for. But critics point out that other customers, like the Dexter-Elmhurst Community Center, aren't given that same consideration. Detroiter Cynthia Johnson says the effort to create a new Detroit in bankruptcy court has dumped a lot of issues on what some might call the old Detroit.
>>
Hugh Dinningdore - Wed, 16 Jul 2014 00:34:26 EST ID:lcYadD0W No.13261 Ignore Report Reply
What happens if you need to turn your water off to do maintenance?
>>
Archie Carrystodge - Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:51:18 EST ID:qZOvsh6U No.13263 Ignore Report Reply
>>13261

This. There are some times where you'd like to be able to have the water easily shut on/off, like installing new pipes for your toilet or a sprinkler system.. etc.
>>
Thomas Crerringbog - Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:34:15 EST ID:Smob10P3 No.13264 Ignore Report Reply
>>13261
I know that in America there is no requirement to install a shut off valve, But in the UK, It is always built in at the first entrance into the house, Predominantly that is either under the kitchen sink or downstairs bathroom.
I've always laughed at that fact, It would seem as though they do not even trust you with water. Requiring you to call some guy just so you can fix shoddy/broken plumbing.
>>
Matilda Gankinnun - Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:56:35 EST ID:4Xf3drgQ No.13266 Ignore Report Reply
>>13258
i thought the way water pressure worked was a small pump moved water to a higher location like a reservoir on a hill or a water tower and gravity forced the water through the pipes

>>13264
huh? i have a main water shut off right after my water meter. you use it when you have an issue with like a broken pipe. i figure most americans dont exactly know where or what a water shut off is though as its really not all that common to have to turn the water off at the main. most sinks/toilets/appliances have a shut off prior to entering them so unless its a pipe issue or like your shower wont stop you probably could get away with not using the main water shut off.
i figure i have a main gas line shut off too and could probably locate it if i had too but off the top of my head i havent bothered to look for it.
>>
Clara Lightstone - Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:44:28 EST ID:lcYadD0W No.13268 Ignore Report Reply
>>13264

Wtf are you talking about, how do you think people change pipes and install new toilets and sinks and shit without being able to shut off their water?
>>
Emma Grandbury - Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:08:30 EST ID:prMxf2E0 No.13269 Ignore Report Reply
>>13268

There is a main water shutoff in the house. The only time you have to use the one in the street is if you are changing the buried part of the water line up to the main valve.
>>
Whitey Sullerhood - Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:28:00 EST ID:XMv4Fq3B No.13273 Ignore Report Reply
>>13269
Or if the motherfuckers want to shut you off.

Actually, on a similar note, I've heard one of the best things you can have if you're homeless, travelling or on the run is one of those keys council workers use to turn taps on and off when they remove the handle.

Some places (North Sydney, anyone?) have no water bubblers, no taps, and not so much as a park bench or public toilet, and if you want a glass of water you'll have to pay for it.
>>
Emma Grandbury - Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:46:18 EST ID:prMxf2E0 No.13275 Ignore Report Reply
1405784778634.jpg -(29151B / 28.47KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13273

What's the situation in Oz wrt water? I haven't seen anything in the news for a while. Fucking city should put bubblers there, must be in the pockets of the shop owners.

Here there's always water and it never gets all that hot (horrendous brutal stormy winters though).
>>
Fucking Hirryman - Sun, 20 Jul 2014 06:43:04 EST ID:DyqU/USn No.13279 Ignore Report Reply
>>13275
Bills just keep getting cranked up higher and higher for all utilities.
20 years ago I heard some old crank on the bus down from the mountains ranting about how Sydney had outgrown its water supplies years ago.
And a couple years ago the Warragamba dam nearly dried up, looks like he wasn't so crazy after all.
And no government want to bite the bullet and say "desalinisation plant" which means knocking people's houses down, or "grey water reclamation", which means drinking your own piss Todd Carney style.
As it stands, we may have to do both, and it still may not be enough.
It's what we get for electing goddamn placeholder governments who only care about making it to the next election.
>>
Hedda Sammlelat - Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:06:25 EST ID:prMxf2E0 No.13280 Ignore Report Reply
>>13279

Desalination plant sounds like the way to go, nobody wants to drink piss. Don't you guys have hydroelectricity in the mountains? Could use it to desalinate.
>>
Edward Hiblingspear - Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:24:30 EST ID:4n4uWCtA No.13289 Ignore Report Reply
>>13280
I'd rather drink reclaimed gray water any day than desalinated sea water. Both of them taste exactly the same, except that the desalinated water costs 2-3 times as much.
>>
Whitey Puckletidging - Sun, 03 Aug 2014 10:12:00 EST ID:vyUkiV9B No.13295 Ignore Report Reply
>>13289
yea i was thinking even if i wasnt drinking grey water theres plenty of industrial applications that water could be used for. like making mud for concrete
>>
Cedric Chenkindut - Wed, 06 Aug 2014 16:12:46 EST ID:8vLNQp0Q No.13306 Ignore Report Reply
>>13256

Califaggot here, with all the fines and shit a lot more people are doing this such that a lot of times they'll just send you a massive fine and a court date instead.

If you're concerned about your water then dig your own well or (specifically with drinking water) stock up every week using water cans from a spring.
>>
Frederick Buzzlegold - Wed, 06 Aug 2014 17:08:08 EST ID:5naz0v3x No.13307 Ignore Report Reply
We should use tinfoil infomercials to get people to dump concrete or some shit into water mains as a hijinx

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.