Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
Tiny homes Ignore Report Reply
Clara Podgeshaw - Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:02:25 EST ID:dp5qB83L No.13537
File: 1413824545446.jpg -(131590B / 128.51KB, 600x415) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 131590
Does anyone have experience or interest in building off-grid tiny homes? They are usually 100-300 sq/ft. made of found and recycled materials cheaply. Some run on solar and wind power. I work a part-time job and I'm thinking of starting a tiny house project. I can buy some materials and there's plenty of scrap around me to use. I have some carpentry skills and general know-how. Anyone interested in the tiny, minimal, cheap life?
>>
cursive !M6R0eWkIpk - Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:07:16 EST ID:ZLhpcuIR No.13540 Ignore Report Reply
1413889636181.jpg -(33705B / 32.92KB, 239x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13537
I want one of these so badly. You can get solar panels online for pretty cheap, plus some dude in Afrika built a wind turbine for his village using like, Afrika garbage.
There's something super cosy feeling about being that snug and even taking up minimal resources.
Conservation will be so important.
>>
Frederick Biffingstock - Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:09:19 EST ID:dp5qB83L No.13541 Ignore Report Reply
>>13540
I'm planning on saving up money to buy some solar panels and a friend at work (who is a whiz kid at engineering) has developed a small wind turbine generator meant to run 12v appliances and store extra energy for when it's not windy. I have no know-how for this but he is going to build one with me and walk me through the steps. Of course I will document it so I can rebuild more later. He says the only skill you need to have is some basic welding and electrical knowledge for some parts. Other than that, anyone could potentially assemble it.

I have this unique opportunity to work on a shipping container that's already halfway tricked out into a house, and if all goes well I can start building the dream tiny house within the next year. I plan on making a cabin on wheels kind of like the one in the picture.

As for now I'm reading books on basic home design, making a home energy efficient, and the basics of solar power, water treatment, and all of that kind of stuff. The site where we would be assembling it already has a ton of useful scrap.

I think this may work out in the long run.
>>
Rebecca Murdcocke - Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:53:04 EST ID:BV+m87gI No.13549 Ignore Report Reply
Yeah I am 50/50 that I'm going to build one in summer. Not on wheels though. Don't have any plans as to materials and unsulation, but it's only gonna be a little bigger than yout pic OP. Plus I'll have very efficient woodstove and same or almost same size winter greenhouse next to it.
>>
Rebecca Murdcocke - Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:54:22 EST ID:BV+m87gI No.13550 Ignore Report Reply
>>13549
I mean connecting to it. Grow some food in winter. Fucking A. I love quality food in winter.
>>
Hugh Billingbanks - Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:22:56 EST ID:BV+m87gI No.13552 Ignore Report Reply
1414250576981.jpg -(953101B / 930.76KB, 2048x1536) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13551
you don't need another person there. Just saying. You don't have to live with your girl or a wife either.
>>
Hugh Billingbanks - Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:24:13 EST ID:BV+m87gI No.13553 Ignore Report Reply
>>13551
also you shold look into stoves that actually carry out pirolization. They are extremely efficient. and you can use water to hold energy even better.
>>
Rebecca Picklespear - Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:19:21 EST ID:BV+m87gI No.13555 Ignore Report Reply
>>13554
Oh I think rocket stoves are the ones that carry out pyrolization or maybe I meant gasification, I'm not very knowledgeable on this. Yeah basically you want that everything would be burned and for that you need high heat and enough air. And then you want to cool the exhaust so that no energy is wasted.

I'm also quite interested in how people make methanol with stoves or smth. I don't know the technology yet. Cus then you can take oil and make biodiesel which is way cool. You see where i live methanol is illegal to buy.

Here's another cool contraption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZnX9a0P8w&list=UUVP1PTBbRGpmTQE1oQx8xNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdq37DLVd6g&list=UUVP1PTBbRGpmTQE1oQx8xNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbXj9R6ZXw&list=UUVP1PTBbRGpmTQE1oQx8xNw
>>
Augustus Budgehat - Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:37:21 EST ID:+fpf7hGp No.13562 Ignore Report Reply
>>13555
my posts got nuked so you can reference them any more. mod said sorry but makes me sad still =(

in all honesty rocket stoves and RMH's are really cool for off grid and if you build your own but its not totally viable as how much space they take up in a tiny home. the dirty little secret of many of these places is 50 gal tanks of liquid propane thats used for heating and the fridge. buying lumber by the cord can be expensive if you plan to with a traditional stove, but i wouldnt suggest this.

really, theses threads go no where because of how custom the builds are and how much research you have to do before you can even start designing one. you really have to plan and think about what you need and then what you want. are you even in an area thats suitable for a shipping container? im in ny, my weather imo is not really ideal for a tin box regardless of the insulation. hot sticky summer followed by cold wet winters. my heating bill would be pretty high along side burning to death in the summer. id need to go with a wooden building. also, insulate the floor. if its a trailer, the blacktop will radiate heat into it, if its on the ground in the winter it will act as a giant ice cube.

next, you need to think about how much power you are going to take in. heating stuff up and cooling stuff down takes alot of power. like i said before, liquid propane is used for these alot of times. if you can figure out how to get free ice you may be able to skip a fridge and just get a super cooler. or make one. but honestly this again is a decision in what are you willing to give up. smaller the better in term of fridges but that means many trips to the store for things like milk.. what do you do for fun?we are on computers after all. your router phone and computer all have power draws. big screen tvs are out of the question for the most part even your lighting now has to be accounted for. dont bother with a 12/24v set up. invertors to 120 ac are not that expensive and yo will save money on random shit you find your self needing to plug in like a decent fan to get air moving or a mixer when you decide to cook. having a 12/24v outlet isnt a bad idea, but trying to do the whole palce on that seems silly. . this is a life stlye change i dont know if i could deal with, i love my electronic and have many.

water may become a major hassle, if you go trailer style you can do holding tanks or just forgo a shower completly and just buy/fill up 5 gallon tanks of water and igure out where to shower locally at a gym. some of you could forgo a daily shower, i can not. i need to be able to shower daily, i have long hair. another lifestyle change to consider. if you arent moving around you need water on tap, its expensive to bring in gallons to shower with and do dishes.

what will you do with the poop? i asked this before but i got nuked. its probably the most important question. holding tanks again for trailers but you need to be able to empty these, having a poop truck coming every week to empty your tiny holding tank is costly. there is no cheap way to put in a septic tank, its a gaint hole in the ground.
you now need a road that can bring in a full sized poop truck. that means branches cleared to like 15 feet down the path and a sturdy road. god forbid you have to cross a creek. roads cost a lot of money. make sure the land you buy will be able to able be accessed by large vehicles like fire trucks. might even be a requirement. best option is probably a composting toilet, their like 3k if i remember correctly though.

the big thing to remember is plan, if you can make somethign multi functional do it. make under the bed storage but also make the bed a comfy place to sit. use card board to template shit.
>>
Sidney Heckleman - Sat, 01 Nov 2014 23:32:29 EST ID:dp5qB83L No.13563 Report Reply
OP here
I'm still in the boring research phase but I'll share what I'm doing:
I'm reading a few different books on general home construction, with emphasis on "green" construction and energy-saving techniques. The better the home is insulated, the less we will have to spend on heating/cooling.
My partner and I both like the idea of a woodburning stove for heating and possibly cooking. We are looking at some small marine stoves that burn efficiently and meet EPA standards. We are still researching other heat/cook options. Off grid and kind of low-tech is key for us.
We are preparing for a wind turbine build with a friend from work.
I'm downsizing! Filled two trash bags with clothing and items I no longer want. I'll be donating a lot in the coming months.
Started researching where tiny houses fall in the legal spectrum. Depending on your state/county/city a tiny house may be illegal. Most of the time it falls into a gray area. The area of my build has a little more defined laws regarding building code for a tiny dwelling. A tiny house can fall into one of the following categories: Residential dwelling, accessory dwelling, mobile home, or RV (if your house is on wheels). Each category has its own set of building codes and legal ramifications you must follow. Planning your build around red tape is important.
>>
Eliza Dundlewater - Sun, 02 Nov 2014 11:56:36 EST ID:+fpf7hGp No.13564 Ignore Report Reply
1414947396433.jpg -(117496B / 114.74KB, 700x700) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13563
> Planning your build around red tape is important.

yep, you figured it out.
when you decide if you are going with a permanent structure vs trailer let us know.

ever split wood? ive thought about buying a wood burner for my own house and then started researching how much id burn for a winter and what kinda effort id need t put into storing and cutting and even the price of wood incase i couldnt cut enough. in the end i realized its a lot of fucking effort if you dont havea wood spliter and even then its still time consuming. and pine is shit to burn if you didnt know you want preferably hardwoods in your stove. and your area might not let you just chop trees like that.
also theres a 1 year turn around on drying lumber if you didnt kno. gotta let that shit sit cut for a long time before its ready t be burned.

the other thing about the stove is you will basically have to dedicate it to one area of the abode. it will need a few feet on each side of it and out front, just for fire wood your 8x20 just became like a 16x8 assuming were on a trailer, iff you go permant structure especially an earthen one then i suggest a rocket mass heater

a wiki description
>"A rocket stove mass heater or rocket mass heater, is a space heating system developed from the rocket stove, a type of efficient wood-burning stove and the masonry heater. Wood is gravity fed into a "J-shaped" combustion chamber, from where the hot gases enter a heavily insulated metal or fire-brick vertical secondary combustion chamber, the exhaust from which then passes along horizontal metal ducting embedded within a massive cob thermal store."

these will save you money.

if you decide to go with wood for cooking, you will want an out side cooking area. awning and some lattice to block the shade would probably work. might be samrt t plan one any ways.

pic releated is a mr heater, 18000 btus suitable to heat 400 sq feet for 108 hours on a single 20lb propane tank.

building a house is pretty simple and id be surprised if you dont know someone who has some exp in construction who can give you the run down. 16 inch on center for walls, read on how to do window and door jams, not hard. then spend time reading about wiring your abode with electricity. id spend more time there then any where. i suggest PEX tubing over copper for plumbing.
if you are researching green building, id be researching the system and figure out which ones you want as alot of those are custom as fuck and require their own style of building.

ill be checking this thread a good amount as i have done a fair amount of research and thinking about how id do it.
>>
Nigger Gashsat - Sun, 02 Nov 2014 13:19:49 EST ID:q0nGICUi No.13566 Ignore Report Reply
>>13564
I figured I'd use a ram pump and just a hot watter tank inside. no other plumbing, toilet outside.
>>
Eliza Dundlewater - Sun, 02 Nov 2014 16:31:55 EST ID:+fpf7hGp No.13568 Ignore Report Reply
>>13566

ram pumps are a great idea if you have the right aea for them. but you will need a hill and decent amount of flow. which is a desirable trait for land and may increase the cost of property. you'd save space and create water pressure if you put the holding tank above your dwelling. you could go with solar hot water at that point if you wanted. if you have a hot water tank you need a way to heat it either LP or electric. have you considered on demand hot where you dont have a tank, just a coil of copper tubing that heats water as needed?. you cant poop in a hole in the ground if you want this to be a permant dwelling. most towns will not allow you to do this and its unsanitary and you can pollute your water table or water source if you are doing a ram pump, you are propably pretty near where you are going to be drinking water from.

and where are you planning to put this? even if it was legal i really wouldnt want to have to go use an out house in the middle of the winter. especially in the dark. and i figure letting a poop house cook all summer will make it smell wonderful.
>>
Nigger Gashsat - Sun, 02 Nov 2014 17:07:25 EST ID:q0nGICUi No.13570 Ignore Report Reply
>>13568
water tank would be heated by the same rocket stove and it's act as energy reservuar so that you don't have to cook all day to keep steady temperature. Cold water tank above property for pressure is obvious. Electricity is precious if you are off grid. I won't live in a town, rather a spacious village if you will. Outdoor toilet won't pollute a spring c-mon. Winter being cold I agree, but that's better IMO than building toilets, plumbing, shit rezervuars under the house etc.

You sound like you live in NYC or smth. Well I'm in EU and in our countryside so our paradigms aer a little different.
>>
Jarvis Pockwater - Mon, 03 Nov 2014 04:01:08 EST ID:+fpf7hGp No.13572 Ignore Report Reply
>>13570

close, upstate ny. but you are right our situation are differnt. first off, im probably only 10 feet over the water table, id likely be going for a well... id rather not haw my sewage leaking into my drinking water even if i am filtering.

so every time you plan to take a shower in the summer you are going to heat a giant thermal mass? sounds a little silly.

im going to again suggest looking into composting toilets. if you are willing to shit into a hole in the ground you could at least consider a diy system where you just shit in a bucket and thow saw dust ontop then throw it out side in the compost heap youre likely to have. this beats shitting out side imo. but really how far back are you willing to go for a palce you plan to call home. what sort of investment and return do you want on this 10k in 3 years of lving? yea shit in a hole in the ground. if you plan on living here and investing money into this place for a distant future do not skip on the luxuries as a porcelain throne is wonderful after only 3 days of shitting in a porta-potties. maybe this makes me sound like some nyc yuppie, but its also what ive realized about what my build would need. you are totally fine with doing what you do we are just discussing ideas in general. i dont mean to come off as offensive or demeaning either, i enjoy this topic and would love to hear other peoples ideas on what to do as seeing as i havent even done it i dont know the best way my self
>>
Jenny Clidgewater - Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:13:50 EST ID:WBbzX4P4 No.13581 Ignore Report Reply
>>13537
for those who go full-in-the-bag with this, as in no other property assets, I wonder what they do about costs for electricity and internet and water and bathing, but most of all funds for health emergencies (if you play to live past 65 then you will encounter them) and retirement.

It's almost revolutionary to do this
>>
Sophie Pockbanks - Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:50:20 EST ID:+fpf7hGp No.13584 Ignore Report Reply
>>13581
most people have a set of skills that allows them to do this ie being an artist or crafts person in traditional trade lets you make a good ammount of money with little over head. it also doesnt mean you cant have a traditional job. your home life i none of your bosses bussiness imo. they could even chop and sell wood from their land or even let people hunt it many options to make money to be honest. some people even host work shops on green building to show case what they do in order to raise funds.

most of this thread is talking about green energy (and poop). out side the cost of the equipment, panels pumps turbines ect, and replacing these there isnt much over head to these places. ive been talking a little bit about. the life style changes people will have to make.

you do have some over head, taxes and what not but most people are talking about growing their own food.

although you are correct, most people will not be able to do this on min income with out savings set aside and they will run into emergencies where they need money.
>>
Samuel Duckstock - Thu, 20 Nov 2014 01:38:39 EST ID:6O8pUqqj No.13602 Ignore Report Reply
>>13568
fun fact: in a properly built outhouse (or portapotty) if everyone closes the lid, all the smell vents out through that little chimney on top.

earthships have a pretty good water design, it goes drinking-[rock and plant filter]->showering/washing-[rock and plant filter]->toilet-[rock and plant filter]-> out into a leechfield lined with waterproof membrane, this water is used to sustain landscape plants and eventually makes its way back into the water table.

all this implies staying in one spot though.... if it were really a post-apoc scenario and you were moving around all the time i'd just stick with a camper, or if you insist on traveling in style, rig up a toilet that dumps to the street for emergencies.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.