Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Tell Me About Your Apocalypse Preparedness

- Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:33:54 EST yYlx2d7W No.13808
File: 1426952034739.jpg -(630856B / 616.07KB, 1280x1027) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Tell Me About Your Apocalypse Preparedness
Hey /FO/,

I don't frequent this board so forgive me if this post isn't in the right spot or doesn't follow conventions, but I thought this would be the place to go to get some answers.

I'm writing an article for an independent news/music website titled Prepare for Doom. The topic is disaster preparedness and people's fear of extinction events. Every time there's a disease scare (SARS, H1N1, Ebola) there's a spike in the purchase of hazmat suits, respirators and other survival gear.

I'm hoping to speak with a self-professed "prepper" or survivalist to learn more about their mindset and what measures they've taken to be prepared for an apocalypse event. I don't know how to go about this really, seeing as how you can't give out contact info on here. I guess I will just post the questions here, so any and all can just jump in with their answers. I will gladly credit you in the article.

Your answers can be short, but I'd prefer if you elaborated on things rather than just give one-two word answers. Ok here we go:

1) How long have you considered yourself a "prepper" and what was the main cause for the start of this behavior?

2) What, in your opinion, will be the most likely cause for an apocalyptic/human extinction event? (Disease, war, AI, invasion etc)

3) What measures have you taken to make sure you're prepared?

4) How much money have you spent on your preparations? A considerable part of your annual income?

5) Do you know others who share your concerns? Are you a part of a community that feels the same way?

6) How far off do you believe this apocalyptic event is? Why?

7) Are your survivalist actions something that define you (i.e. is it all consuming, daily preparation etc) or do you lead a fairly "normal" life and just do this in your free time?

8) Have there been any recent events (Ebola, Swine Flu, North Korean nukes, etc) that you thought for sure were going to kick off this apocalypse?

9) In a post-apocalyptic world, what would your main concern be? Simply survival, or something bigger like repopulation or creating a new government?

10) Considering your preparations (shelter, rations and other supplies) how long are you prepared to last if/when an event occurs?

Thanks for your time guys. Like I said, I'll gladly credit you in the article and I can use answers from multiple people so feel free to chime in even if someone else has answered.
>>
Jarvis Turveyfoot - Sun, 22 Mar 2015 02:26:15 EST i6g4yRlY No.13811 Reply
>>13808

1) This "behavior" is something I consider just normal survival precautions. I think we are at a period in history where a large number of people have very suddenly forgotten about survival on an individual basis. It was not always this way and it is probably due to modern society making a previously more survival oriented culture less relevant, so people willingly and eagerly dumped that kind of lifestyle for the integrated, laissez faire modern lifestyle.

I "started this behavior" when I first started reading and learning about the flora and fauna of the world. A fascination with biology as a science secondly, a deep interest in what's actually out there and how to use it first and foremost.

2) Most likely would be war. War seems a far-removed concept to the people living in comfort in First World nations but our time will most surely arrive, sooner or later. Many countries are already living in a "post-apocalyptic" world. It is, in a way, already here. You just haven't experienced it yet.

As for an actual post-apocalyptic event which resets the entire world and causes extinction or near extinction of most lifeforms, that could be anything and preparing for it requires thinking outside the box.

3) Just basic survival gear on hand, knowledge is more valuable though and have put more time into learning technique.

4) About half when I got started and now just the occasional tool or provision.

5) Yes and I used to be but they became cultish. When you start taking these kinds of precautions you do encounter groups of people who are essentially doomsday cults. They're to be avoided, my mentality now is to prepare individually and simply roll with the social majority as best I can.

6) This? No no, it could be happening as I type this and I'll never get a chance to react. There is no "this", it's just a bet. An investment in surviving possible disasters. It's a plurality of potential catastrophes I'm concerned with.

7) Normalcy is a repugnant concept when separated from day to day survival. I see no difference.

8) No. A World War 3 with Russia doesn't even seem likely for the time being. It is the unexpected that concerns me.

9) I want to have kids and a better government now and I'm sure that wouldn't change during a catastrophe.
>>
Sophie Blapperbanks - Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:26:57 EST 7UKzYljI No.13823 Reply
1427513217757.jpg -(53765B / 52.50KB, 480x479) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
1) How long have you considered yourself a "prepper" and what was the main cause for the start of this behavior?

>ive been a (an attempted) prepper for about 10 years now, and the main cause, if anything, was the slow realization of many things concerning history, economics, philosophy, government, and the realization that that when the chips are down, the citizenry will eat each other, and any government that is left over, will be more likely to start collecting and cataloging anyone they can round up (by force), fleece them of anything the local prison guards desire, and then soon enough, put the citizenry in front of a firing squad. History shows that it has happened before, and thus, it is guaranteed and inevitable to happen again, regardless of how many people foresee it and try to prepare against it or act to delay or prevent it. The only questions are when, where, the details of how, done by whom, and done to whom.

2) What, in your opinion, will be the most likely cause for an apocalyptic/human extinction event? (Disease, war, AI, invasion etc)

>well, i don't know about 'extinction' of the entire human race, but from the various news articles and such that ive been seeing, im inclined to suspect that America as a nation is being lined up to get kicked in the snizz box something fierce, from atleast afew countries, and in more than afew ways. I would say that the closest thing in my current conception would be a nuclear war of some sort, be it the 'classic' nuclear war between nations, or the 'mobile terrorist' suitcase and truck-van hot and dirty nuclear smudge bombs that are making inroads into the realm of the possible and likely.

3) What measures have you taken to make sure you're prepared?

>well, im more or less poor, but ive prepared however i can get away with. I shop for/buy camping gear and military surplus whenever i can afford to get away with it. Surprisingly, ive come fairly far in getting the basics (the ten C's of survival).

4) How much money have you spent on your preparations? A considerable part of your annual income?

>well, i get 60 bucks a month to play with, and so far, ive devoted 8 out of 10 purchases since 2008/2009 to prep gear of some sort or another..... Fortunately, theres alot of prepper stuff that is at or under 60 bucks.... guns, however, can only go up in price, so ive had to forsake weaponry so far.

5) Do you know others who share your concerns? Are you a part of a community that feels the same way ?

>As an unofficial part of the citizen militia (sometimes called 'the red dawn brigade', either in ironic pride or in sarcastic derision) there are many who share my concerns, and we often debate online as to what 'we Militia' should try to do as a whole. Unfortunately, the militia being what it is, is very very fractured and thin-spread, and so its very hard to get them/us to agree on anything; libertarian christians won't mobilize for this, constitutionalists refuse to do this and that, survivalists invest in stationary areas and the like, former military persons don't like such and such, and on and on and on (see what i mean.)

>This problem^ of cohesion and unity in the militia leads me to believe that ultimately, there are just too many 'militias', to be/ become a working coast to coast, or even inter-state regional unified militia military forces . This means that the 'red dawn brigade' is basically nothing but clusters of weekend warriors of various sorts, who generally mean well, and may indeed try to save/help their country, or local city or state/province, but cannot help but to inevitably fail in the face of a truer 'command and control', top-down style combined arms national/ federal military force, such as the US, NATO, or UN military forces.

6) How far off do you believe this apocalyptic event is? Why?

> its always possible that we could wake up next tuesday morning and find that our government has been handed over to the UN, and that we are being 'invaded' by our new UN chinese owners, but its also equally possible that america will take another generation or two to slide into roman-empire-esque/ north-korean-ish imperialism and tyranny, before the inevitable grinding decline into 3rd world likenesses of poverty and ruined broken-ness. Which is the more likely ? hard to say, imo.

7) Are your survivalist actions something that define you (i.e. is it all consuming, daily preparation etc) or do you lead a fairly "normal" life and just do this in your free time?

>I do this in my free time (especially around the first week of each month). i've not undertaken training yet, given that i don't have a full kit of militia gear yet. Until then, its mostly just self-debates on what item to collect next, how it will fit in with what i have now, what i will need next, ect ect, in terms of what is basically either camping gear or mil-surp collection items.

>Considering that a gun (optimally, a rifle ?) is an essential part of combat ready militia gear, im not sure i will ever really have a bona fide 'full/ ready kit', given the ever-increasing expense of trying to square ones guns away, on an obscenely small budget.

8) Have there been any recent events (Ebola, Swine Flu, North Korean nukes, etc) that you thought for sure were going to kick off this apocalypse?

>Not yet, and hopefully never. The closest thing that i would have thought that would have caused the american people to unify and rise up was when Obama's birth nationality was called into question, but, that issue was more or less squashed and swept under the rug, and im inclined to think that anyone who does bring it back up, will be as equally squashed and put under the rug.

>(Personally, im inclined to believe that the answer to the question 'Is obama american born ?' is a big 'NO', given how much time was spent flip-flopping on the issue, bragging on his Kenyan roots, and then talking in circles, before manufacturing a dubious hawaiian birth certificate and flagging it in front of the public like candy in front of retarded babies.)

9) In a post-apocalyptic world, what would your main concern be? Simply survival, or something bigger like repopulation or creating a new government?

>personally, my overall main concern would be preservation of documents and information (government and technology how-to's, for the most part), and personal survival, but as much as a man can try to logically foresee a given outcome, the future is as muddy as it is in motion.

10) Considering your preparations (shelter, rations and other supplies) how long are you prepared to last if/when an event occurs?

>im hoping to fill out a decent 3 week/ INCH bag kit, hopefully with a vehicle of some sort, but with me being practically poor and such, ill just have to keep on truckin (and prepping), and see what i can get away with, before time runs out and it really does hit the fan, by the metric ton.

(that would be alot of shit....)
>>
Faggy Dannerlut - Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:00:17 EST rj6pNRHr No.13832 Reply
1427648417169.jpg -(67637B / 66.05KB, 540x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
1) I have been a prepper ever since the combinations of post Cold War life, 2001 terror attacks, and being a freshman in high school in 1998. A lot of people asked me what I would do if Columbine happened t my school, and then the terror attacks of 2001 got the question of, "What would you do?" became normalized in pop culture.
2) I personally believe, as I have ever since I was fourteen, that apocalyptic/extinction level conditions will be caused by mankind.
3) I have made sure I can walk for long distances while carrying absurd weights for years when I wasn't homeless. I also carried necessaries for outdoor survival in extreme conditions regardless of current weather, etc. I also make sure that I continue working out, taking hikes on the trails and such here in town for hours with different disciplines (don't drink water for an hour, don't drink more than x amount of water per water break, etc.), and I still climb a tree every so often.
4) My current preps were refined when I was homeless, out of necessity, so I have never spent much. I rely mostly on ingenuity and pluck to make it in weird situations. The costliest thing I have is a sometimes endless supply of positive morale.
5) I know others who share my concerns, but we don't consider ourselves a community. We are friends.
6) I have been taught to be, in the words of the Bridge Burners, to be wide eyed stupid in every situation and event in case of any situation or event. To me, apocalypses and extinction level events are not something humanity will recognize very far out but something extremely sudden.
7) Survivalism is, for me, part of my day in a lot of ways. Brushing my teeth allows me the ability to not have rotting teeth at inopportune times. Exercise, diet, and preventative measures are all there to survive mini disasters in my regular day. If those mini disasters are survived on a regular basis, and not when other disasters are occurring, then it's a good day. If some other disaster occurs with one of these mini daily disasters, such as my grandmother have a panic attack during a hurricane with a history of heart attacks and other heart disease, then I'll know what to do if both of those unlikely scenarios occur. Those thoughts don't consume me on any timeline, and they shouldn't. That's the best way to ruin your life pre-apocalypse.
8) No.
9) My main concern in a post apocalyptic world would be getting to tomorrow. If civilization decides it can pop up again I will try to mae it another day in that new civilization. If I am still nomadic and wandering, I will do my best to get to tomorrow still and find my place in the world that day. Baby steps.
10) In an apocalyptic/extinction level event, I am prepared to last until I don't, same as in a not apocalyptic/extinction event. That's all we can do.
>>
cursive !M6R0eWkIpk - Tue, 07 Apr 2015 21:41:50 EST 8RYncBiW No.13853 Reply
1428457310766.png -(1505520B / 1.44MB, 1280x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>13808
1) All of of my life i've been an avid outdoors entusiast and survivalist, but the older I grew and the more I learned about history, war, technology and geopolitics, the more those skills began to feel imperative. I was without means to "prep," as such until about 2005.

2) Combination of changing climates and scarcity of the fossil-fuels whose burning accelerates them. Nuclear Winter as a result of escalating aggression russia the usa, n korea and china. A super-virus is innevitable but is on no certain time-frame, though the anti-vaccination echo chambers are certainly not helping prevent it.

3) Training in local fire-building, geography/flora/fauna, pioneering, hiking, cartography, orienteering, medicine, climbing, rifles, shotguns, handguns, bows, sailing, rowing, canoeing, s.c.u.b.a., MMA, languages seealso, bug-out bag >>13685 plus a tough vehicle, a very fast vehicle and concussive body armor

4) Under $500 worth of gear, unless you count vehicles or like park fees for hiking and stuff

5) 10 years ago nearly everyone I ever met would scoff at the concepts covered in your OP, now people seem to be vastly more hep to existing conditions which justify preparations. Still, i've only even met a few people who do more than acknowledge that they should "stock water or something." In fact the few who are quite prepared, really need to be any way, as they live in a part of the country where no one else lives, there are no power lines, no gas or water mains.

6) I don't believe anything. The answer to how soon it could start is oh hey, >>13811 already inb4'd me! i like this guy. I guess this is an opinion question, but I don't have much of an answer. I'm more concerned with where I live collapsing in on itsself, and that could go down whenever. Worldwide.. seems like we've been in ww3 for years now. About to update myself on some of the more recent russian stuff here in a minute.

7) Yes. Always. It doesn't make unable to function, but it's apparent, if only subtly, in everything I do.

8) Nah, not since '01.

9) Survival first, then tribalism, then restoration of knowledge and tech and destruction of theism. I'd like to mind my business, but let's not be naive. People are terrible, desperate people are dangerous and there is no good or bad. I'd hate to see the world progress to or past feudalism unless theism was eradicated. I'm not rebuilding a world with that shit in it if i can help it.

10) I'm prepared to raid what I need for a long time and gtfo out of dodge when i need to. I'm above the outskirts of two cities out of their way and close to water.
>>
Fanny Pittspear - Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:32:42 EST hsc3JxXU No.13864 Reply
The fuck can I do against a super volcano, or an asteroid, or nuclear war, or black hole.

In most apocalypses we'd all be fucked. We're all dead men walking anyway.
>>
Nicholas Huvingway - Fri, 01 May 2015 07:52:10 EST teC/foGV No.13895 Reply
I own an underground storage full of adult diapers.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.