Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)
The MedKit Thread Ignore Report Reply
Thomas Nivinglet - Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:39:51 EST ID:7wD45wsf No.9899
File: 1350664791644.png -(84221B / 82.25KB, 703x434) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 84221
So I see a lot of threads about BOBs and BIBs, but none about the most essential part of those kits: the MedKit. The ones that are ready-made are, quite frankly, lacking in supplies. Not to mention woefully insufficient.

I compiled a list of links to stuff you may or may not need. If you think of something i havent, for the good of the group post it! If you know where something is available cheaper, again post it! I know that i'm not the only one who likes to watch those pennies and pounds/nickles and dimes!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Utility-Bandage-Scissors-Quality/dp/B005U1FKLS/ref=sr_1_20?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1334270394&sr=1-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-5m-First-Cotton-Crepe-Bandage/dp/B0034BDLCG/ref=pd_cp_sg_1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-John-Ambulance-Washproof-Plasters/dp/B0029LHCI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349296013&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-John-Ambulance-Fabric-Plasters/dp/B0029LHCHM/ref=pd_sim_d_4
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterile-Gauze-Swabs-7-5cm-Pack/dp/B0058HMZEY/ref=sr_1_22?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349296624&sr=1-22
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relipad-Adherent-Dressing-low-adherent-dressing/dp/B008GBGWEI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_d_2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dupad-Abdominal-Sterile-Dumex-Inches/dp/B0011WFOHA/ref=sr_1_60?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349296776&sr=1-60
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microporous-Tape-2-5cm-10M-12/dp/B002ZH4P5M/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2V0EUCM1U3E54
http://www.amazon.co.uk/66fit-Sports-3-8cm-13-7m-rolls/dp/B001AIK36M/ref=pd_cp_sg_0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-59104-Stainless-Tweezer/dp/B001MJ0JM2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349298514&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-SWANN-MORTON-SCALPEL-BLADES/dp/B001VG4P5I/ref=pd_bxgy_office_img_b
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Morton-scalpel-handle-No-10a-blades/dp/B004OIAVJY/ref=pd_bxgy_office_img_c
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Morton-Sterile-Surgical-Removers/dp/B0082CI47E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1349298905&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sani-Cloth-70-Alcohol-Wipes-disinfectant/dp/B004IZAUFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349299162&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DISPOSABLE-GLOVES-POWDER-CLEANING-MEDIUM/dp/B007AH0XPI/ref=pd_sim_d_15
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamins-Rubbing-Alcohol-Isopropyl-500/dp/B00694XHN8/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349300359&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayo-Hegar-Needle-Holder-Standard/dp/B0008F6GZ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1349300534&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Needles-Suture-Rbhc-V871A-09/dp/B0049PWDZM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_d_3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silk-Thread-100-Weight-Meters-/dp/B004BOYO8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349301353&sr=8-2

This initial list should run you about £100 ($160). I havent included OTC meds such as Paracetamol/Ibuprofen/Allergy/Inflammatory/etc. but if you find links to some legit cheap online retailers, post away! :)
>>
John Nobbleseck - Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:28:42 EST ID:iW/GPR7j No.9905 Ignore Report Reply
That seems like a lot of stuff to carry around. Do you really need so many different kinds of dressings? also, you wouldn't need the separate scissors, tweezers and blades if you had a good quality multi-tool or Swiss army knife.
>>
Eugene Dugglewell - Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:05:52 EST ID:7wD45wsf No.9907 Ignore Report Reply
>>9905
yes, you do need that many dressings if you think about it: non-sterile for small cuts and scrapes, sterile for small wounds. also, if you wanted to perform minor surgery (stiching cuts up/removing small foreign objects/etc.) you would want the tweezers as well as the sterile stuff. you'd also need the alcohol to disinfect the instruments before and after. not to mention the fact that if you find/are a person with medical expertise they would definately be grateful for having all these supplies on hand.
>>
James Goodbanks - Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:15:18 EST ID:3cygfv4m No.9908 Ignore Report Reply
>My medical kit:
Tweezers
Scalpel
Gauze
Lighter
Band-aids (large)
Butterfly bandages
Needle, thread
Betadine
Antiseptic ointment
Few small sticks
ACE bandage
Nylon cord (1m)
Scissors (small)
Nail clippers
Alcohol wipes

I can probably add some more to the kit, but I think I'm in a good position so far.
>>
Nigger Turveycocke - Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:22:39 EST ID:pplnA6Uw No.9909 Ignore Report Reply
>>9907
unless the "minor surgery" is being performed in a crisis situation under duress, you should be able to boil water for sterilization of implements. for minor cuts needing stitching, a layer of petroleum jelly based antibiotic ointment and a clean dressing is usually enough to prevent infection.
>>
Ernest Clemblelock - Sun, 21 Oct 2012 02:52:06 EST ID:GUXzp2JI No.9912 Ignore Report Reply
>>9899
$160 worth of band aids for the band aid police. I wouldn't loot your bag for anything but the wound dressing sani wipes and the alcohol after you succumb to the elements. Then I would laff about you packing up a bunch of crap and thinking you where a medic and bury it like a squirrel with a nut he never intends on coming back to. Then I would use your alcohol wipes to wipe my hands after I take a dump.
>>
Albert Brazzlestone - Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:56:18 EST ID:7wD45wsf No.9913 Ignore Report Reply
>>9912
cool story bro
>>
Frederick Gibblekerk - Mon, 22 Oct 2012 07:32:39 EST ID:HVagPKZl No.9916 Ignore Report Reply
Awesome thread! I recently decided to make a first aid kit, partly because I want to go hiking or for emergency, but mostly because I realized that making a first aid kit would be an incredibly fun thing to do! I found a first aid supply website and ordered a bunch of stuff- I'm going to go to sleep now but tomorrow I'll post a pic and list of my supplies, hopefully you guys can kindly tell me if I've missed anything important. I'm going to make my own case for it I'm thinking out of vinyl like fabric, but I haven't gotten on that yet.
Oh and I also bought something that I like very much and can't wait to use- from a doctor's supply store I ordered 12 individually, sterile packed suture kits (each a curved needle permanently attached to 45cm of thread). Sounds like fun to me, I'd just love to stitch you up.
>>
Hedda Subblebanks - Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:02:06 EST ID:BgSzYKgo No.9938 Ignore Report Reply
What about thread and needle ?
Cant find that shit online
>>
Edwin Grimbanks - Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:53:42 EST ID:YSkF6dvG No.9947 Ignore Report Reply
>>9938
check the last two links on the list >>9899
>>
David Dockleridge - Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:54:52 EST ID:LSOsSFBk No.10838 Ignore Report Reply
this shouldnt die, some good ideas/info on here...
>>
Frederick Blovingforth - Thu, 28 Feb 2013 01:58:21 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.10839 Ignore Report Reply
Instead of making a exhaustive list of medical supplies i would like to address some things:

this is quite the rant. I hope it is worth the read

>A gunshot wound kit, trauma kit, military IFAK, etc. is not enough for a survival kit or bob.

The scene of treating your partner catching a gsw in the middle of a firefight w/ a group of post-apocalyptic marauders is romantic but not realistic. Disease and illness is what is really going to wipe you and everyone else out.

When your not getting the proper vitamins and nutrients your body is going to get sick faster and the illness is going to stay longer. Be absolutely paranoid about keeping even small cuts and scrapes clean and avoid contact with sick people. Go ahead and pack your trauma kit, but make sure your bandaids, wound cleaners, ointments, etc. are doubled up.

>EMS doesnt save lives, definitive care does

You save a life via ems when you stabilize a patient long enough to reach definitive care (i.e. a hospital). When there is no hospital you should be prepared to give that definitive care to the best of your ability if you have made that decision to be the "z-poc medic".

Massive Hemorrhaging, severe blood loss, shock, respiratory arrest, etc. etc. is too traumatic to deal with definitively in the field. Another reason the gsw kits simply wont work.

You get a tourniquet on over an extremity, apply your Quikclot-whatever and now what? those are only temporary fixes to the larger problem. We dont save alot of lives in the field as it is. The mortality rates for those kinds of injuries is going to skyrocket no matter how quick your response was.

>Field Surgery

This is the huge grey area with survival / post-apoc medicine. Protocols, certifications, medical direction, etc. is going to fly out the window. Your best case scenario healthcare system is going to be some way to rush you back into town and bring you somewhere the remaining providers have set up shop. And we all should know that that is a stretch. Equipment will be extremely limited, no longer sterile, and no longer effective.

You will see alot of people shouting "that surgical kit is rediculous!!" ( >>9912 ) and that is partially true. You should never consider working some kind of pseudo-surgery on yourself now with our modern healthcare system but everything is gone in junk town.

I cant honestly advise you wether or not you think you need or want surgical supplies. Do you want to call it quits when you take a massive wound or need stitches? Or would you rather have the supplies necessary for you or a trusted person try and help you while your screaming in pain? tough choice.

Your not going to be able to stock a operating room and play doctor to the entire town. Make the decision to keep a personal surgery kit for yourself and tell whoever needs to know about it for when the time comes. Whether that is everything you can manage to stuff in your bag or some really awesome drugs and fifth of whiskey.
>>
Nigel Dishstot - Sun, 03 Mar 2013 01:33:48 EST ID:wSnbCB1u No.10857 Ignore Report Reply
>>10839
Agreed. But I think OP made this list as a sort of basic list of suggested supplies. Persons with first aid training would benefit somewhat with the items mentioned on hand, and those with more extensive medical knowledge (another reason to get the address of your local doctor so you can save their arse when shtf) would benefit even moreso.
>>
Cedric Fommerlod - Sun, 03 Mar 2013 18:15:03 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.10861 Ignore Report Reply
>>10857

>>10839 here

Yeah i have absolutely no problem with suggesting medical supplies or even purchasing pre-assembled kits so as long as they meet your needs. When i make a first aid kit i usually start with a list and tweak it into something that fits my specific needs for the kit.
>>
Jack Sicklespear - Fri, 08 Mar 2013 23:33:27 EST ID:2pIWrhx1 No.10895 Ignore Report Reply
That is a lot of stuff to carry. I'd rather carry things to kill stuff with, build stuff with, or clean water with. Some linen, a box full of different band-aids, a pack of needles and fishing line, and some rope should be good enough. Hell, the band-aids would be a luxury. Didn't even think of a knife, that's practically a necessity to survive.

Odds are as first generation survivors, assuming we even live that long, we're going to die a very painful death. The odds of one of these things being necessary to save a life are probably just as good as them being the reason a life was lost.
>>
Ernest Draffinggold - Sat, 09 Mar 2013 14:45:47 EST ID:tc2Ws5fA No.10898 Ignore Report Reply
EDC

2x normal size adhesive bandages
-waterproof a plus
2x 2" gauze
1x roll water resistant or better medical tape.
1x roll sealed gauze.
2m paracord or nylon webbing.

That should be on your person damn near everywhere your body is. It is to stop or control bleeding. Honestly the adhesive bandages are only useful for fingers, anywhere else either don't need a boo boo strip or needs a real dressing. The paracord is a tourniquet to control arterial bleeding. You can throw in an Israeli bandage as well if you want the bulk.

The big kits are car/Bob/etc. Those have the next level of emergency care in it as well as the odd items like eepi-pens and the like. You should not have any gear that you do not know how to use. Things like a phlebotomy needled being used to decompress a lung cavity with unresolved hands can cause worse problems.

The home is where you keep the hardcore military surplus field hospital in a box.

The car and EDC kits should be in a bright red or orange bag with a white medic cross, the EDC should have a visible portion or pull so someone will see it. A good idea is red paracord with a white cross bead or other simple indicator to tell someone what it is.
>>
Ernest Draffinggold - Sat, 09 Mar 2013 14:47:05 EST ID:tc2Ws5fA No.10899 Ignore Report Reply
>>10898
I hate autocorrect.
>>
Henry Chummledock - Sun, 10 Mar 2013 03:27:41 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.10901 Ignore Report Reply
1362900461605.jpg -(1947925B / 1.86MB, 3264x2448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>10898

Great advice, I carry a similar kit in my pocket:

2 bandaids
2 2x2' gauze pads
2 mini packets of Celox
2 chewable aspirin
1 Pair of gloves

I really like the paracord idea. Specially if you already keep a pen handy you could get some fairly decent hemorrhage control. I do have a tourniquet w/ a ankle holster however it stays at home sometimes depending on what im wearing.
>>
Caroline Goodwell - Mon, 11 Mar 2013 07:54:57 EST ID:ErV933mz No.10906 Ignore Report Reply
>>10901
how often do you cut your self and you arent close enough to a paper towel and duct tape?
>>
Matilda Follypidge - Tue, 12 Mar 2013 02:29:16 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.10911 Ignore Report Reply
>>10906

I probably reach for my that kit acouple times a month witch is considerably more than my other personal kits. Im also usually close to the paper towels and tape if not better first aid supplies.

Its dis-settling to me seeing even small cuts under my gloves when im working so i keep a tight wrap on making sure they heal quickly. The faster you can intervene on small cuts and lacerations the less likely you'll need stitches, get a infection, etc.
>>
Ebenezer Grandham - Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:54:32 EST ID:tc2Ws5fA No.10917 Ignore Report Reply
So I was in my local Goodwill(one of them, they were popping up everywhere.) and they had an EMT first responder bag... with almost all the gear... for 10 bucks. Needless to say, I got it. It was missing a few things, but had lots of dressings from gauze to abdomen pads to giant sponges, a full set of airways, a blood pressure reader, a liter of salene, soe small bottles of eye wash, various swabs, some hemostats, some tweezers, medical sheers, and a scalpel handle.

Overall a sweet haul. The kit was probably made in the 80 or maybe 90s, updated a bit in the 90s, and was probably some old EMT's car kit judging by the other various items found in it. I will take a few parts out for my EDC/GTFO/Camping bags, the rest will go in the car after a few additions. I really wish I could have meet the man that carried it, interesting fellow from what I gathered.
>>10906
I rarely cut myself, I carry my kit mostly for others who do, mostly due to improper knife selection/misuse.
Most stores are horribly equipped to handle medical emergencies, so having a decent kit nearby could save precious pints of blood or limb.
>>10901
I have added to my EDC bag a hemostat and tri bandage. Fuck you arterial bleeding. Also I can't believe I forgot the diphen and asprin in my list. I'd love to get me some topical lydocane and kid eepi-pens too but I am holding off on that for when I go to the hospital and stock up on meds.
>>
Charlotte Shittingdock - Thu, 14 Mar 2013 00:42:07 EST ID:S6O/v0Ri No.10918 Ignore Report Reply
>>9899
I am a firm believer in making your own medkit. I have taken a page from the U.S. Army and have decided to A) have things I can use, B) have things that can be easily stored, C) have a long or relatively infinite expiration rate, and D) have the ability to be sterilized. I have, in my daily carry med kit, 3 gauze pads, medium sized; 8 bandaids, medium sized; 4 bandaids, large sized; 8 bandaids, small sized; 2 vials liquid skin; 20, give or take, alcohol pads; scissors; tweezers; knife; 50 mg tabs of aspirin; allergy medication (loratidine); electronic thermometer.
>>
Cornelius Chocklesidge - Sat, 16 Mar 2013 01:02:52 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.10929 Ignore Report Reply
1363410172346.jpg -(2269958B / 2.16MB, 3264x2448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>10901 here

Here is my car kit:

5 pairs of gloves
puncture proof turnout gloves
pair of safety glasses
2 surgical masks

4 abdominal pads
4 large Kerlix rolls
4 Trauma pads
2 Large petroleum gauze pads
1 CAT- tourniquet
2 4' ace bandages
2 SAM splints
2 rolls of medical tape
1 roll of duck tape
1 set of oral and nasal airways
1 Ambu pocket mask
1 Mechanical suction unit
1 pre-made "deluxe" first aid kit

glass breaker and belt cutter
1 500 lumen flashlight
4 Chem lights
2 pairs of shears
2 germicidal wipes

Its pretty simple. Mainly addresses the ABC's and primary assessment. The only interventions im performing off duty or as a civilian is addressing the immediate life threats before ems arrives. No drugs, diagnostic equipment, etc. because it either doesnt keep well or is not relevant.

Im working on gearing up a backpack that covers a wider range of care with diagnostic equipment, preventive care , surgical supplies, triage, better immobilization, drugs, etc. for the sole purpose of Post-apocalyptic use that ill go through later.
>>
Phineas Drellerpudging - Thu, 28 Mar 2013 06:09:56 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.11022 Ignore Report Reply
I mentioned in my last post that i was working on a post-apocalyptic / disaster medical kit. The philosophy behind my kit is to provide the absolute basic level of care when you are the only medical resource.

In order to fit my goals the kit needed to be:

-Man portable fitting roughly into a fullsized backpack
-Have a resupply plan in the form of "at base" stockpiles
-be suitable for long term storage
-work with wthout a power supply
-provide as much emergency and definitive care as possible for as many people and emergencies as possible
-Include disaster specific considerations for nuclear / chemical / biological dangers

Airway / Breathing:

-bag valve mask
-pocket mask
-oral airway set
-nasal airway set
-king airway set
-mechanical suction device
-oxygen tubing and non rebreather mask / nasal cannula (probably useless but may be nice to have)

Bleeding / Trauma / Shock:

-sterile and non-sterile dressing
-large trauma dressings
-abdominal dressings
-triangular bandages
-israeli bandages
-band aids
-survival / reflective blanket
-hemostatic agents such as QuikClot
-high intensity tourniquets
-chest seals
-petroluem gauze
-SAM splints
-ace wrap or rigid athletic tape
-c-collars (adjustable adult and pediatric)
-head blocks

Medications:

-acetaminophen
-oral glucose
-epinephrine
-albuterol
-aspirin
-benadryl
-antibiotics
-ringers solution
-anti-diarrheals
-antacids
-cold medication
-vitamins
-mark 1 kit
-other relevant prescriptions

Equipment / Other:

-stethoscope
-blood pressure cuff
-pulse ox
-tongue compressors
-shears
-iv start kit
-suture kit
-surgical tools including blades, hemostats, etc.
-note pads, stat pads, etc.
-colored markers for triage
-hazardous materials suit (most likely commerical coveralls for the price, size, and availability)
-respirator / surgical mask / gas mask
-chem lights
-diagnostic light
-flashlight
-face / eye shields
-gloves
-germicidal wipes
-hand sanitizer
-alcohol prep pads
-iodine
-extra batteries

Its a seemingly extensive list that doesnt even really scratch the surface. As i mentioned in >>10839 the mortality rate of even people you have a chance to care for is going to sky rocket. Anyone who needs to be bagged, have a advanced airway, has gone into shock, arrest, etc. is probably not going to make it. There is also a considerable amount of hard or impossible to obtain supplies that only makes things worse

All that being said i believe medical preparedness is just as important as any other aspect of your plans. You are going to save yourself and others with medical knowledge and the equipment to back it up. We all know medical emergencies are not the only uphill battle your going to face in a post-apocalyptic enviroment.

Thanks for reading, feel free to shoot out any questions or add your two cents.
>>
Phyllis Wiblingfield - Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:23:41 EST ID:tc2Ws5fA No.11023 Ignore Report Reply
>>11022
You should add some 14g needles, 1 and 10cc syringes, a scalpel, a hemostat or two, thermometer, a length of surgical tubing, gloves, a bandanna, a bite block, and eepi pens. A solid list, you will have to consider scenarios to find holes. You can handle non-arterial bleeding, but arterial bleeding is what will get you much faster so work on that. No lung puncture or similar respiration inhibitors, aside from airways. The tourniquet you have should be a wide band CAT style or even better a surgical pneumatic one, thinner blue rubber EMT ones and similar will cause more complications but you use what you have.

Just a reminder, if you don't know how to use it, don't. So just because you have a 14g needle to puncture a boil, does not mean you should use it to re-inflate a lung.
>>
Phineas Drellerpudging - Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:01:26 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.11024 Ignore Report Reply
>>11023

I forgot about the bite blocks, syringes, and few other things you mentioned that ill add on in the future. Im looking into more surgical supplies (towels, tubing, etc.) as well as acouple CAT or MAT tourniquet like the one in my car kit.

As far as the needles and other things im not familiar with im going to leave out to save space and money until im comfortable using them. (hence my blind insertion airways, etc.)

Thanks for the advice. ill make more posts of the new gear and ideas i come up with in the future
>>
Isabella Dullywill - Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:02:36 EST ID:2jBGvWCW No.11030 Ignore Report Reply
>>10929
i feel like a head lamp would be better suited, it may no be as bright but if you need two hands to do something having a flash light clenched between your teeth isnt ideal.
granted 500 lumes is fucking bright but a free hand is always nice
>>
Graham Grimforth - Sat, 30 Mar 2013 02:31:49 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.11033 Ignore Report Reply
>>11030

The flashlight is just for sizing up a scene and being as visible as possible. The chem lights are for use in and around a wreck because they do not generate heat or use a power source that could spark. You can also safely leave them unintended on the dash, around the vehicle, and anywhere you need the light or mark.
>>
Nell Lightfuck - Mon, 01 Apr 2013 06:59:00 EST ID:6aJq6vp0 No.11044 Ignore Report Reply
>>11033
yes but what im saying is if you are in a dark area that isnt somewhere you can bring yor car you may need directional light, considering how small and light weight a head lamp it (and its a car bag so who cares about wegith) it seems practical to add it to your bag.

just seems like it would be a pain to work on someone in the dark with a light gripped between your teeth
>>
Phyllis Hummleville - Mon, 01 Apr 2013 21:54:19 EST ID:tc2Ws5fA No.11046 Ignore Report Reply
>>11044
What you say is true. A headlamp or light that is hands free is great in a high-stress medic'ing like stopping arterial bleeding. For the majority of circumstances a torch is perfect. I like AA/AAA torch, they can be mouthed comfortably and don't require extra time to get out. Not to mention a dedicated headlamp in a FR bag that almost never gets used is more likely to be dead when you need it than the torch you carry normally. Regardless extra batteries everywhere.
>>
Archie Cimmerstork - Tue, 02 Apr 2013 04:05:37 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.11048 Ignore Report Reply
>>11044

In a kit centered around treating people around my vehicle i dont see a headlamp to be necessary. If i cant safely reach the patient im probably not going to treat them, Especially with my car kit.

I would prefer a headlamp in a wilderness situation, a torch for search and rescue when i still need to locate my patient, and chemical lights anywhere near a motor vehicle collision with flammable materials. None of that means a headlamp is useless in a car kit, etc. It just largely becomes a question of preference.
>>
Cyril Seffingman - Tue, 02 Apr 2013 04:18:16 EST ID:6aJq6vp0 No.11049 Ignore Report Reply
>>11048
i spend alot of time out side at night where i may be near my car, but i cant bring my car to where im at. mostly parks beaches trails and stuff like that.

i guess you could just have the person hold the light if they are awake.

i mean to be fair, half of the stuff in your bag you will likely never use (thank god) but its there for the off chance that you might need it so you bring it with you any ways.
>>
Archie Cimmerstork - Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:20:59 EST ID:rPVZfU0B No.11051 Ignore Report Reply
>>11049

Then i totally agree with the headlamp. I have half a dozen different medical kits so they all fill very specific roles. When im going out on a trail i bring a separate IFAK and leave my car kit in the car for example.
>>
David Waddleville - Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:48:48 EST ID:j8N7M/LX No.11073 Ignore Report Reply
my kit:

gauze
butterfly closures
thread
needles
lense cleaner bottles filled with isopropyl and peroxide
plastic bags for sealing sucking chest wounds
medical tape
OTC painkillers
more gauze
ace bandages

i need a scalpel, and to throw my sharp as fuck scissors in there
>>
Nigel Cruzzlesure - Fri, 23 May 2014 12:03:01 EST ID:kD6Qz/NH No.13073 Ignore Report Reply
resurrecting this post from page 10

seeing a lot of theory threads, not many quantifiably useful informational ones. this one seems important though.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.