Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Medieval Japan

Locked Reply
- Tue, 28 Oct 2014 02:55:10 EST GZTV3220 No.54171
File: 1414479310402.png -(74468B / 72.72KB, 273x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Medieval Japan
Japan's history has always interested me, in fact feudal Japan or Sengoku Japan is what got me into history in the first place. I know it's over played and anime and weaboos have kinda ruined Japan's reputation. But, aside from all that, japan in the Sengoku era was extremely bloody and treacherous. Wars were constantly being fought, enemy armies just a few miles away from you being on such a small island. It was quite war torn. It was much like medieval Europe, just more violent compared to how small the country is and how many battles and wars were fought in such a short time. Their culture and warrior class was extremely sophisticated and unique. It might not be the most powerful or most influential in the world, but the civilizations before the western ideology conquered wer extremely unique and quute different than the rest of the world. You could say that before the west spread Iit's influence, Japan was a pretty mysterious place. It's quite fun to study if you ask me.

Inb4: I'm not some weaboo
>>
Reuben Brookgold - Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:47:18 EST /AeeEXbd No.54172 Reply
>I know it's over played and anime and weaboos have kinda ruined Japan's reputation.
Naw, who is "judging" you for showing an interest in Japan? Fair enough there's the guys who devour anything that's japanese and animated, but it's not as if everyone who likes Japan linked with them. "Japanophiles" existed long before anime ever did. And yeah, Japanese history is fascinating, try watching some Kurosawa if you want to see incredibly choreographed Japanese Battle Scenes.

Also this http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rlptf if you're interested in the isolationist aspect of it. I find the idea of the little dutch island to be so cool.
>>
Priscilla Clesslewone - Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:06:06 EST KSNRNi/H No.54176 Reply
>>54172
haha ruben go back to /b/ you crazy basterd :)
>>
Nathaniel Dicklestock - Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:16:47 EST RhXEDabt No.54177 Reply
>>54172
Hey thanks for the link! There are some amazing battles in Japan like the Battle of Sekigahara in which Tokugawa Ieyasu unified Japan. I like their sense of honor and respect too. Most of the main warlords really respected eachother and looked at war as just business. It's very bloody yet a lot more civilized than wars fought in Europe where it's about conquest or revenge or just straight jealousy. It's really a jewel in history that people seem to forget about.
>>
Charles Gunkinbanks - Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:55:29 EST 3f7gR7mZ No.54178 Reply
Read Shogun by james Clavell.
It's historical fiction, the main character (a Dutch pirate) is made up, the all the leading Japanese characters are accurate portrayals of real historical figures just with different names.
>>
Nigger Peckleridge - Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:10:53 EST 3mXXExOL No.54180 Reply
>>54178
Like who for example? That sounds interesting, wasn't there a show based off of it?
>>
Nathaniel Fibblecocke - Thu, 21 May 2015 19:13:17 EST F08NhliC No.55427 Reply
>>54178

Gonna try and read that some time. Thanks

Ever read 'Across the Nightingale floor' by Gillian Rubintsein? Bretty good
>>
RandomAnon - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 07:15:18 EST j8/ERKaO No.56076 Reply
I know quite a bit about the Sengoku Period, but does someone have a "Ancient Japan for Dummies" or something?
I know next to nothing about the Jomon/Yayoi/Yamato/Heian/Nara periods
>>
Cedric Lightway - Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:33:21 EST b0Z6XbnQ No.56078 Reply
>>54171

How was it more violent than the islands of the UK?
>>
Cornelius Fillyfuck - Fri, 04 Sep 2015 08:15:45 EST MRc/EBe+ No.56082 Reply
>>54172
That's a fantastic In Our Time episode, one of the best.
The other ones related to Japan are "Samurai" "Zen" and "Shinto", they are all pretty good.
>>56078
Look what went on between Scotland and England from about the 1400 onwards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_between_Scotland_and_England
Some boarder disputes and a war that lead to Scotland being ruled by England.
Meanwhile, In Japan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_battles#Muromachi_Period
Constant warfare between a shitload of clans all the time.
>>
Matilda Goodhood - Sat, 05 Sep 2015 00:17:29 EST b0Z6XbnQ No.56091 Reply
>>56082

Should really place the european comparison a good 200years back though. The 1400s were the end of that age of europe and the hailing of the renaissance. Japan (and east asia in general) fell a bit behind in this period, due to political incompetence.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.