Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Which worked Better?

- Sat, 07 Nov 2015 14:40:49 EST o6keS00K No.56263
File: 1446925249315.jpg -(36064B / 35.22KB, 780x585) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Which worked Better?
I was doing some thinking about the current state of the Union, and I found myself ruminating on how if Reconstruction had been followed through on more sincerely, like maybe is Lincoln hadn't gotten assassinated or at least someone more resolved than Johnson had succeeded him, maybe today we'd be closer to a less socially stratified country.
And I got to thinking, we did that after WWII with denazification (we in this case meaning the allies instead of just the US). Reconstruction lasted several years longer, but seems to have had less effective results than the Denazification efforts in post WWII Germany. Besides obvious advanced in technology like with telecommunications and weapons, what are the reasons that Germany has less admiration for it's Nazi period than the southern state have for their "lost cause."? Was is just that Nazism only lasted around a decade whereas slavery had been in the south for centuries?

Or am I wrong? As an American am I romanticizing Denazification? I know there are still neo-nazi in germany but they seem to have less of a presence than the neo-confederates in the U.S.

How about what happened in South Africa? Did Truth and Reconciliation do better or worse than both or either?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_Era
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denazification
>>
Charlotte Bruffingdune - Sat, 07 Nov 2015 17:28:56 EST fFCl/TFP No.56267 Reply
>what are the reasons that Germany has less admiration for it's Nazi period than the southern state have for their "lost cause."?

Say what you will about the confederacy but they didn't go on a mass killing spree or try to conquer the rest of the world

Also, the south has always been culturally unique, and people often fly the confederate flag to acknowledge that or as a matter of "southern pride" rather than as an endorsement of the confederacy or its policies. Germany was united under the Nazis, and then united in their rejection of Nazism, but the same isn't true of the post-Civil War United States. There's still a cultural divide between North and South.

Those are my two cents as another American anyway.
>>
Frederick Bridgeten - Sat, 07 Nov 2015 18:21:07 EST 46Ivwr3B No.56268 Reply
>>56267

The South did have concentration camps. I know because I had ancestors who languished in them. Also, they would execute black POWs on the spot.

The major difference is that the South in the Romantic era claimed an unbroken succession of legal slavery, all the way to biblical times. Germany, on the other hand, was a successful liberal society based on working citizens. They then resorted to slavery to sustain industrial production, due to the majority of male citizens being in the military. It was also assumed that use of forced labor would make the allies hesitant about bombing civilian industries, although the allies did not give a fuck and bombed them anyway.

It is no surprise that you find few defenders of a cynical policy that backfired in the end while sacrificing every ideal of the German culture.
>>
Clara Doffingnud - Sun, 08 Nov 2015 10:26:04 EST yoS4oQiI No.56271 Reply
The cultural differences between north and south predated even the declaration of independence.

The South was by and large settled by people looking for economic opportunity while the north was by and large settled by people looking for religious and intellectual freedom.
>>
Ernest Blatherstock - Mon, 09 Nov 2015 01:02:04 EST aZJF8f7V No.56272 Reply
>>56268

The Confederacy was more than just a bunch of pro-slavers (condescension towards blacks was totally normal back then anyway) and they weren't performing genocide or anything comparable to Nazis so yeah, I guess that's why its not considered "all bad" or "evil" the way Nazism is.

The Southerners were never reintegrated and indoctrinated like the Germans either and the South didn't suddenly find itself sandwiched between two factions that were fully able to tear it apart (well Mexico probably would have wanted to but I doubt anyone was afraid of them like the West Germans were the Russians) so holding onto Confederate "ideals" would have been a lot more common and in a lot of ways found themselves aligned with patriotic ideals of expansion which also would have helped culturally cement aspects of the Confederacy into American culture.

The 'little guy against the big guy (Feds)' and continuing issues around State's rights etc. have also made sure that there's continued sympathy for their "cause"
>>
Phoebe Blerringforth - Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:54:07 EST //Q/fGLX No.56274 Reply
>>56271

I doubt it. When you wanted to get an opportunity for a good job you'd rather end up in the north with all of its industry.
>>
Sophie Smallson - Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:16:15 EST yoS4oQiI No.56276 Reply
>>56274
The reasons people came came to the USA in the 17th and 18th centuries were not informed by developments of the 19th century. You went to Massachusetts or Pennsylvania to build a good Christian community. You went to South Carolina if you wanted to get fucking rich growing cotton and tobacco.
>>
Lydia Chuzzletodge - Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:14:59 EST pIYqIk9c No.56280 Reply
>>56274

He meant economic opportunity for those with capital, not economic opportunity for those without. [%}Duh. [/%]
>>
Polly Gossleman - Wed, 11 Nov 2015 05:32:35 EST nFUrmaNy No.56283 Reply
>>56263

Way to have absolutely no clue what you're talking about OP. Way to fucking go.
>>
Cedric Clozzlewill - Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:58:51 EST vLZNJtSu No.56285 Reply
>>56283

He posted this thread to learn more. Don't be a jackass.
>>
Polly Gossleman - Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:17:34 EST nFUrmaNy No.56286 Reply
>>56285

but... I am a jackass though. :(

Regardless, it just really pisses me off when I see the results of propaganda like this and I couldn't come up with yet another refutation of the same fucking shit again. There's a fucking psi-op going on to strip away southern culture to make the country into a homogenous blob of worthless unthinking fucks (and just about any cultural ideas that go against the fed for that matter.) and I'm just so damn sick of it. So fucking sick of it. Shit, does anyone here even realize how few people even had slaves? I think a larger percentage of the population owns mercedes nowadays. (2% maybe)

Fuck, and Lincoln was the biggest shithead of a president for a long time. HE BLAMED THE ENTIRE CIVIL WAR ON BLACK PEOPLE!... and then made them think he was a hero for redirecting all the hatred straight to them.
>>
Caroline Shittingcocke - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:33:44 EST aZJF8f7V No.56287 Reply
>>56286

The gov't trying to dumb down the South? I thought that was Fox news et al and their ultra-conservative trash?
>>
Edwin Nungerchane - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:57:42 EST nFUrmaNy No.56288 Reply
>>56287

Fox News is part of the government. The republican part.
>>
David Nubblechut - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 03:56:20 EST o6keS00K No.56289 Reply
>>56286

>Regardless, it just really pisses me off when I see the results of propaganda like this and I couldn't come up with yet another refutation of the same fucking shit again.
Go ahead and copy paste from a previous time then. I don't believe you've ever actually constructed a coherent refutation.

>There's a fucking psi-op going on to strip away southern culture to make the country into a homogenous blob of worthless unthinking fucks
Or it's a natural side effect resulting from the modern ability of people being able to exchange ideas with someone from farther away than four towns over on a regular basis. And what exactly are "they" trying to eradicate? Our proud legacy of... barbecue and reverence for outdated technology? The only memorable cultural achievements of the south have been self deprecating works of literature and southern rock. You sound like those hicks in West Virginia who's heads implode when you mention that being a coal miner is kind of a shitty job to still have to be doing.

>Shit, does anyone here even realize how few people even had slaves?
You don't have to reap the benefits of a system to be one of it's enforcers, and thus bear part of the blame. Modern cops get paid jack shit and they're perfectly happy to stomp on throats for the benefit of the wealthy. If anything your statement just showcases how retarded the average southerner at the time was for being duped into fighting for a cause that did not benefit them, on behalf of people who didn't give two shits about them.

>HE BLAMED THE ENTIRE CIVIL WAR ON BLACK PEOPLE!
[citation needed]

But I think, by accident, you answered my question about why it's taken the south longer to fix itself than Germany, so thanks.
>>
Martin Clattingmick - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:35:49 EST mLAewN/G No.56290 Reply
>>56286
>There's a fucking psi-op going on to strip away southern culture to make the country into a homogenous blob of worthless unthinking fucks
I thought "worthless unthinking fucks" WAS Southern Culture?
>>
Edwin Nungerchane - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:15:38 EST nFUrmaNy No.56291 Reply
>>56289

You think Germany is "fixed" ... That says enough about your grasp on reality.

Quips done and said, what's your problem? Why do you hate?
>>
Priscilla Bizzleham - Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:10:39 EST aZJF8f7V No.56293 Reply
>>56291

>thinks germany was better off under hitler

bracing for impact
>>
Archie Clayforth - Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:48:54 EST nFUrmaNy No.56294 Reply
>>56293

Now that's just misreading. Fuck hitler and his cronies. For anything they did that I may agree with, there's a million people who suffered that I'd rather hadn't. Also fuck Franko the hardest.
>>
Rebecca Favingmock - Sat, 08 Jun 2019 11:59:32 EST ZWI5N4CT No.57656 Reply
If you think the north was any less of a plantation, then go google "patroon". My own scotch-irish cracker forefathers, as with all scotch-irish, landed in Philadelphia before trecking south. Pennsylvania was once an enormous slave state itself. The southern states were different only in that they never voted republican and hated paying money to customs officers
>>
Eugene Wocklebet - Sat, 08 Jun 2019 12:56:54 EST 1a4kGkyd No.57657 Reply
>The southern states were different only in that they never voted republican and hated paying money to customs officers

That and you could buy and sell humans as chattel.
>>
A_Wizard !cMZsY.BCnU!!vVWR8L52 - Mon, 10 Jun 2019 23:53:24 EST XsO0o/wD No.57658 Reply
>>56263
>reconstruction
More like exploitation period. Slaves somehow had t worse due to not being paid enough to live on (because a slave you at least have to treat as an investment, unlike a wageslave), the feds worked hard to create racial strife, and of course everything that could be done to slow down the recovery of the cotton industry was done, for the profits of the Roosevelt and Rothschilds families, who got filthy fucking rich off of running cotton from sassoon plantations in india to england's textile factories and then selling it to europe. (note, the sassoons also were the ones growing the opium and demanding it got shipped into china at any cost. I assume as an economic weapon, since slowing industrialization of china was key to them making profit.)
>>
Shit Blythehall - Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:32:23 EST PqIVyg6p No.57660 Reply
1560385943211.gif -(1481567B / 1.41MB, 280x210) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>56294

>Fuck hitler and his cronies

>For anything they did that I may agree with,

bruh how could you combine those clauses back to back
>>
Oliver Crovingdore - Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:26:22 EST x/cVVmAk No.57672 Reply
>>56286
Dude, classical southern culture has been dead for decades and got replaced by walmart, plastic cowboy hats and meth.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.