420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Periods which need more exposure? by Thomas Gunningshit - Mon, 07 Nov 2016 10:53:53 EST ID:mHFutvZ2 No.56963 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1478534033490.jpg -(310236B / 302.96KB, 1405x1500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 310236
Medieval Byzantium certainly doesn't get enough credit
>stole silk from China
>greek fire
>essentially bought the huns off as permanent mercenaries

What periods do you think need more exposure? What times do you think its important for the average person to know more about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZK-WqZMB8
>>
Emma Fuckingman - Thu, 10 Nov 2016 18:36:02 EST ID:FqRGTRMQ No.56966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Motherfucking stone age, as academia understand it. Not the Flintstones.

People building temples before farming was invented. The extinction of large mammals across pretty much every continent except Africa. That shit scares me because who knows... maybe we set in motion the coming mass extinction all the way in the neolithic... which means its pretty much unstoppable aside from widespread genetic engineering and cloning of wildlife and giving cities and farmland back to nature at an insane scale.

Oh and how the fuck did we invent metalurgy? Did someone aaccidentally drop ores on a fire?
>>
Walter Blundlestock - Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:23:04 EST ID:s7/DSoKi No.56967 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56966
I don't know if someone has done it, but I think a high level discussion of prehistory up to early civilization could fit nicely into a 15-20 minute video. Speculative fiction about how metallurgy evolved is vintage History Channel tier garbage, but things like geography, conflict, trade, and the emergence of new power structures are things that people interested in the past should know about.
>>
Reuben Benninghall - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:20:17 EST ID:f/IVyCNt No.56969 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56963

It's hard to pick a specific era, but I think people are done a disservice by not hearing the full stories of the historical figures we glorify and demonize. Looking at historical figures as real people, both their heroic and monstrous aspects, adds so many interesting moral questions and layers of discussion to people. The life stories of people like Julius Caesar, The Gracchi Brothers, Abraham Lincoln, Josef Stalin, Richard Nixon, Jesus, Oda Nobunaga, and so on and so on... everyone worth remembering has so many more dimensions than we let them have. All their stories put Game of Thrones to fucking shame.
>>
Nathaniel Sigglefuck - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:35:20 EST ID:FqRGTRMQ No.56970 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56967
I seem to remember that archeologists found neolithic graves in the UK filled with accessoires made from African sea shells, implying that "global trade" is as old as mankind.

That's fucking crazy... either tribes would just ferry along goods from tribe to tribe in trade routes that are thousands of km long, or there were actual nomadic tribes that did nothing but ferrying along trade goods.
>>
The Boat - Tue, 15 Nov 2016 02:14:17 EST ID:WGGaIH20 No.56978 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56967
Whao 10 yard deduction from 1st base!

0ld s€£00L hi$t0r¥ €h^nne! W^$ d0p€
>>
Molly Fuckingman - Tue, 15 Nov 2016 03:37:58 EST ID:k5UrPwXz No.56979 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'd like to see more information on pre-Roman Europe, especially going back as far as contemporaneous to ancient Sumerian or Babylon.
>>
Shit Wepperbutch - Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:16:58 EST ID:I60ckmX+ No.56986 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56966
It requires more than a fire to melt copper. They'd likely observed lava if you ask me.
>>
Fanny Pushdit - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 21:44:48 EST ID:YEmgtMe4 No.57009 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1481251488352.jpg -(166444B / 162.54KB, 620x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>56963
Ethiopia, and the Horn of Africa in general. They have one some of the oldest recorded histories in the world, had a pivotal influence in all three Judeo-Christian religions, and created some absolutely stunning architectural wonders. And yet nobody in the West ever talks about them or cares to look into them.

Also, archeology in Nigeria needs a serious shot in the arm. Seriously, the place is like a condensed petri dish of human culture and artwork like few other places on earth. Between Nok, the bronzeworks, the walls of Benin and Sungbo's Eredo, Ile-Ife, nsibidi and the Ekpe secret society, the possible "Lost Tribe" connection to Israel, the over 500 languages spoken, all leading to their rapid rise to become the economic behemoth of Africa, the country is a potential goldmine of archeology just waiting to be discovered. And that's just the stuff we know about with what little has been done so far; it's mind-boggling to imagine just how much more archeological treasure and knowledge could be unearthed from that relatively small corner of the world.

My hope is that if both countries develop and grow as rapidly as they are now then they can start to become safer and more amenable to archeologists and tourists. But certainly, based on what we already know about them now, it's a shame they don't get more exposure.
>>
Edwin Bonkindetch - Sun, 11 Dec 2016 01:45:47 EST ID:oY5SR2vX No.57016 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>56970

i think in its most early primitive stage, items were moved tribe to tribe until they reached the end of the line. once this ricocheted back to its source, the concept of trade probably became more solidified and maybe gave rise to nomadic traders
>>
Phyllis Brunkinham - Sun, 25 Dec 2016 17:30:22 EST ID:ZG4s1pP5 No.57031 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57009
I've been to the horn of africa and it's an utter shithole. Nothing of value
>>
zxz - Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:07:05 EST ID:hJDXnZvF No.57039 Ignore Report Quick Reply
ancient colombia and mexico

all the old world shit is greeeat and all,

but people in central and southern mexico and colombia were doing mushrooms and dmt for thousands of years. no one gives a fuck though thats the part thats so mind numbing to me.

art is cute and all but what can you actually experience and take hold of or apply from these other places. theres very little that you can turn in to your own experience.
>>
Hamilton Brugglebury - Fri, 13 Jan 2017 22:48:56 EST ID:pjKBi0qU No.57040 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57039
>no one gives a fuck though thats the part thats so mind numbing to me.
Because that culture was so thoroughly raped, there's so few people around who truly know and very, very scarce records. This was deliberate. Destroy all knowledge of these peoples because it was inferior to the glorious might of Spanish Catholicism.

I had this super hippy dippy sociology professor in college. He told us this story about how he was doing research in South America (he did his dissertation on Liberation Theology) and he rode up to a group of very rural people on a horse with his companions. And they had never seen a white man before, and so appears this man with long hair and pale skin and they think it's Jesus Christ himself. Pretty whacky stuff. But yeah, the reach of the Spanish Empire was long my friend.

But beyond the Drugs dude. Like in Peru, the Incans were literally the Roman Empire with a massive sprawling connected empire of roads and cities (i think it was more complicated politically). So they got fucked cause they got there late. This was like, an ongoing process in the 1500s. It's not like Ancient Egypt where these ruins have been

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.