Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

answer is Catal Höyük

- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:25:30 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57767
File: 1565724330339.png -(1605298B / 1.53MB, 760x775) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. answer is Catal Höyük
>discuss history with an American
>"GREECE INVENTED WRITING GREECE INVENTED CIVILIZATION GREECE INVENTED EVERYTHING PEDERASTY IS BASED" *picture of bust next to quote, black background*
>"ROME IS AWESOME ALL OF HISTORY HAPPENED IN ROME (except Greece) LOL PLEBS PATRICIANS PEDERASTY" *meme about some roman emperor*
What fuels this childish obsession with the last 800 years before the birth of Christ?
My guess is that this happens because Greece and Rome were the first civilizations that produced a large corpus of texts that can be easily accessed and read by anyone (i.e. you can read all the texts that Plato wrote, but the same is not true for some random asshole that wrote on clay tables in Ur) basically meaning that you can consume a lot of "history" without having to put any effort into it and never having to visit academia.

How do we put an end to the eternal American man child?
>>
Henry Buzzshit - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 02:14:35 EST lreE9IJ1 No.57768 Reply
>>57767
dude fuck off, you're painting with a broad brush and p.s. your the dumb anti-intellectual if you think all American's are exactly the same as that guy
>>
Sophie Blytheway - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 04:21:37 EST 7dc0gnLO No.57769 Reply
>>57767
Oh one persons impression of history means that 300 million other people feel the same way

Seriously what is it with Europeans hating on Yanks on this board??
>>
Nell Braddlestock - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:24:34 EST WJ07taYS No.57771 Reply
The explanation for why Greco-Roman culture is so paramount in the west is interesting and totally understandable if you're willing to look into it instead of just getting mad at uneducated caricatures.

>My guess is that this happens because Greece and Rome were the first civilizations that produced a large corpus of texts that can be easily accessed and read by anyone
That's a good guess, but not because of the elitist little quip you threw out afterwards.
The Greeks were the first in Europe to import Middle Eastern writing systems, that then disseminated from there. They were also an incredibly literate, intellectual society for the time, and also especially after the Macedonian conquests were at the heart of the widest integrated world system ever created at that point with a standardized form of their language as the lingua franca of trade, education and government.
The Romans who came after integrated themselves into this world rather than destroying it and building their own, by the end of the Empire the bulk of wealth and population were in the east where Greek was still that lingua franca, the ruling classes becoming Hellenized.
Christianity was built by Greek speaking Jews in the context of this wider Hellenistic world, the Bible was written in Greek.
Hell their distinction between the invading Persians, the Greeks they subjugated, and the Greeks they didn't literally created the concept of Europe or The West.

So then you fast forward in time to a post Roman Europe, with Latin and Greek literate educated classes, and Christianity as the be all end all of metaphysical thought and political power. With the unbroken link of Latin literacy in the upper classes the educated had constant access to Greco-Roman texts, when in the renaissance trade opened back up with the middle east and they got access to deeper archives and copies of lost texts they could immediately understand them and integrate them into their evolving traditions.

Plato isn't important because any Joe Dick can google it and read all his works in 2019, he's important because any Joe Dick in the 13th century who could read could read what of his works were available, which was a lot relatively speaking. This is the literal bedrock foundation of Christian/European/Western scholarship.
If you want to study the western world, western culture, western philosophy, western religion, or western historiography, the place to start is always the Greeks.

Dumb fucking Americans obsessed with getting a solid grasp of the foundations before moving on.
You might as well be bitching about the Chinese obsession with Confucius or the Arab obsession with Islam, like...yeah? OK?

>basically meaning that you can consume a lot of "history" without having to put any effort into it and never having to visit academia.
This is also some trashbag gate keeping bullshit, this is the 21st century more knowledge is freely accessible than ever before, and higher education both more inaccessible and less comprehensive than its been in 60 years. We don't need the ivory tower to tell us what knowledge exists, let alone what matters, we've got google and sci-hub.
>>
Fanny Grandshit - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:41:40 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57772 Reply
>>57771
>solid grasp of the foundations before moving on.
>classic Greece
But that is exactly what I am talking about.
>>
Martin Meggleman - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:23:04 EST UrRT57DO No.57773 Reply
It didn't help that Sumerians were only discovered like 150 years ago while pretty much every culture in the west was obsessed with Greeks and Romans.
>>
Fucking Cedgeham - Fri, 16 Aug 2019 07:37:31 EST rbK+gS1r No.57774 Reply
Greek culture is basically just Egyptian culture except with less beer and more wine.
>>
Cyril Collermack - Sun, 18 Aug 2019 16:52:56 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57781 Reply
>>57773
>150 years
plenty of time to not be a historically illiterate idiot
>>
Augustus Hattingshit - Mon, 19 Aug 2019 16:40:21 EST jW/43Nkz No.57782 Reply
>>57781
But the west didn't spent centuries cosplaying as Sumerians.
>>
Charles Fuckingfield - Wed, 21 Aug 2019 11:32:26 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57784 Reply
>>57782
true dat. Just shows the abysmal childishness of american men.
Have enormous leaps in our knowledge of the ancient near east been uncovered since the 18th century? Yes, but ameriman children prefer to larp as Schopenhauer.

>>57768
What is wrong with being anti-intellectual? I am simply not an idiot.
>>
Charles Fuckingfield - Wed, 21 Aug 2019 14:40:04 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57786 Reply
>>57785
Not much. He wasn't that much different from every other idiotic 19th century philosopher. My point was that he thought that Greece was the cradle of civilization, and based a lot of his writings around that idea. Now when we know that isn't true at all the baseline idea of many of his texts have been proven wrong making them objectively wrong.

Classical Greece wasn't the first civilization in Greece.
Hell, Classical Greece wasn't even the first GREEK civilization in Greece (lmao).

It's just seems kinda childish to anyone who actually knows their history when american men engage in hour long discussions about something based on historical ideas we know have been wrong for more than a century.
>>
Clara Conderkidge - Thu, 22 Aug 2019 22:50:37 EST rbK+gS1r No.57787 Reply
>>57786
To be fair, the main focus on Schopenhauer's work in contemporary discourse is all about his existential pessimism, and how existence at its core is just suffering.
>>
Lillian Namblefield - Tue, 03 Sep 2019 02:42:18 EST IlyKIasb No.57789 Reply
>>57787
OP wants to make epik bantz, not discuss history or philosophy. Just hide the thread.
>>
John Misslebark - Fri, 27 Sep 2019 02:52:30 EST RluESOHX No.57818 Reply
because white people in North America are too pussy to hear about how their ancestors actually built their country so they cover it up by talking about boring shit and hoping nobody asks questions
>>
Fanny Decklewater - Fri, 11 Oct 2019 05:15:52 EST C/SaHHe7 No.57846 Reply
>>57789
>"American men are childish. Here is why"
>"NO WE ARE NOT CHILDISH NOT AN ARGUMENT IT ISN'T TRUE JUST BECAUSE"
case in point
>>
Fucking Femmlelitch - Sat, 12 Oct 2019 03:57:59 EST VhjDdOQW No.57851 Reply
>>57846
You mean "case AND point." Also just FYI it isn't a whole "nother" level, nor is it all of "the" sudden.
>>
Ernest Gandlehock - Sat, 12 Oct 2019 04:19:57 EST PqIVyg6p No.57852 Reply
>>57851

for all intensive purposes you got the jiff of what he meant. i am weary of people who are so nickpicky about little things
>>
Jenny Bunman - Sat, 12 Oct 2019 04:29:36 EST ZZpfoyvI No.57853 Reply
>>57852
true, posts like these are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world. And it's good to see someone not act like a pre-madonna about these types of things.
>>
Molly Busslefere - Sat, 12 Oct 2019 12:37:01 EST fuX6CiBB No.57854 Reply
>>57853
RIP in pieces to this thread, their is nothing left to say hear.
>>
Phyllis Cirringhat - Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:22:18 EST c5LGa2GS No.57856 Reply
I know I'm being pedantic, but what you mean by Americans are chan autists (who admittedly happen to be clapistannies).

Normal Americans don't give a shit about history before the year 1776.

>lol this nerd cares about other countries histories fucking GAAAAAAAAY
>>
Phyllis Cirringhat - Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:24:39 EST c5LGa2GS No.57857 Reply
>>57856
also, I feel like brits don't get enough shit for their autists.

For ever funny, insightful, charismatic brit you meet on leddit or the chans there's always that "I love UKIP deus vault xD" sperglord.
>>
Nigel Fucklecocke - Sun, 13 Oct 2019 18:26:44 EST rbK+gS1r No.57858 Reply
>>57857
Brits also birthed Sargon of Akkad.

I remember when he just was some retarded cunt on the Paradox forums with stupid ideas on history that no one took seriously.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.