Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

I'm Idot

- Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:28:25 EST Z6d/dxfd No.37271
File: 1422667705507.jpg -(37943B / 37.05KB, 400x447) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. I'm Idot
It seems that some people learn very quickly without "chunking" or other short-term memory techniques.

Like they get taught something, and they learn it instantly. "Sharp-minded, or he's sharp".

Others, like me, take 3-4 times before it actually registers. Yesterday at boxing, the instructor was teaching us footwork and everyone else "got it" much quicker than me.

I've always had this problem and I'm wondering if it's just decades of mental laziness. I'm awful at comprehension and remembering what I read, when I copied stuff off the board I'd always have to look up again....I struggle with being taught or instructed..

So my questions are: Are there exercises to train short-term memory like lumosity, do they work? has anyone here had the same problem as me, and how have you dealt with being a bit slow, or is the whole situation just a genetic curse.
>>
Frederick Cezzlelidging - Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:22:45 EST B0TVfVR2 No.37272 Reply
Remember: 50% of the population is below average intelligence
>>
Jah !!A1w2yy2b - Sun, 01 Feb 2015 08:34:32 EST cDLA2Puk No.37273 Reply
>>37271
Lumosity works if you take it seriously. As far as your learning disability goes you'll need to get rid of the mindset that everyone learns the same way, and find different ways that work for you.

Think about things that you're either really good at, learned quickly, or remember really well. Why were these things easy for you to do/learn/remember/ compared to other stuff? Try to see if maybe there's a common thread between those things that made it easy, and apply it to other things you want to do/learn/remember.
>>
Edwin Cendledock - Wed, 11 Feb 2015 01:31:09 EST K+10ciTv No.37284 Reply
Being "slow" isn't the same as being "stupid", and just because someone "gets" something doesn't mean they actually understand what they're doing more than you. Professional athletes for instance, attribute their skill and success to a whole bunch of stupid incidental bullshit. They do what they do naturally, so of course they have no idea how they actually do it.

The trick (or the basis for any trick) is to reduce the cognitive load of learning. Read up on perception and cognition if you really want to know how your mind is working and how to make it work better. For example, it's been shown that writing something down help you remember it, even if you don't keep the note. Similarly, talking to yourself out loud helps you think, because you've got your inner monologue and also that same monologue kicking around in audial memory.
>>
Edward Blytheson - Wed, 18 Feb 2015 07:56:04 EST ziUuzxuU No.37293 Reply
1424264164143.png -(261688B / 255.55KB, 960x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>37271
There are so many ways of learning. Like I think the best way to learn something is to try to explain it to someone else. You often find out you don't understand the topic that well this way.

But you know, you could just not be that smart.

Also, there are more types of "inteligence" or whatever. Basicaly, you may be smart at maths but your body control might be pretty stupid.

Like your boxing, when I was young I was a total nerd and when I tried to play any sport it would be the same. Like kick the ball, everyone kicks it straight and mine flies out the window... whatever... Few years later I started going to the gym, picked up karate and now I'm pretty agile even though I sit behind my computer all the time. Important part is I taught my brain how to control my limbs better. If I went to a boxing or dancing class now, I'd be among the ones that "get it" pretty fast. But if I tried that before all my training and exercise I would be the slowest fucker in the class. What I'm trying to say is you didn't really specify to who you are comparing yourself, or your own "skill" level.

But then again, maybe you're just a dumbass?
>>
Fenfir Azinguard - Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:55:27 EST OmspvIZS No.37529 Reply
>>37271
Your problem may be you're not in the present when doing things enough. Try to make sure you're not stuck in thought and are actually aware of the present.
>>
Esther Pittspear - Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:11:27 EST rhtuyisS No.37531 Reply
>>37529
Yeah, this. Try to do everything you're learning or whatever as best as possible. This isn't better than other people, but the best. For me at least, this takes me out of my head and lets me really focus and fully experience whatever I'm trying to learn. Works great for skateboarding.
>>
Nicholas Wusslehitch - Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:35:08 EST 1Na09eb8 No.37536 Reply
>>37529
>>37531
Agree with these guys, make sure you're focus on whats happening in front of you(what you want to learn).

Also just because you're on this site i'll say: drugs may make things more difficult.
>>
David Worthingson - Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:34:17 EST mw0tj9VB No.37552 Reply
>>37271
So, you're a boxer?
As in, you get hit in the head a lot?
>That might not help
>>
Reuben Crarringwell - Sat, 18 Jul 2015 01:07:08 EST KJFrEDCr No.37559 Reply
Most of those people who 'just get it' actually train before even going to class, like this girl I knew who wanted to do Yoga so basically did it F/T watching youtube vids before joining a class.

Also everybody is different, I get stuff quickly that other people don't in my computer science class all the time, and in a Filippino martial arts class I couldn't for the life of me figure out this one move until I practiced it on my own for awhile. A friend of mine picked up drums in a week and another friend of mine had to wail away practicing until he just clicked and could figure out how to foot pedal + hands in time.

Getting hit in the head won't help either
>>
Eugene Trotshit - Sun, 19 Jul 2015 06:24:46 EST Ik1Jmb73 No.37561 Reply
Same here, man. I used to believe that I could just force myself to be like everyone else. You notice a lot of responses in this thread are kinda vague, like "just be there in the moment, make sure you're paying attention", but aren't you already? Isn't that why you're there? I think we are all different, and some of us in particular just clarification before the brain sets the pattern for good - to theorize wildly, maybe there is a failsafe in some individuals, an evolutionary mechanism against learning bad behaviors on the go. Your brain wants to be sure this is how it is done.

Also, group settings can make or break learning for some people. While in karate, I suffered in the adult group classes, but once I paid a little extra or one-on-one, I excelled and continue to excel.

Do not put yourself down because you are not learning like the others. Any good teacher will see that you are committed and will take the extra time to train you. If your teacher becomes frustrated with your slowness, he is not worth your time.
>>
Nigel Fandlechodging - Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:03:22 EST AlaVjJLC No.37569 Reply
>>37271

Google memory techniques.

Also exercise and fish oil capsules, nigga.
>>
Nell Finnerman - Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:35:34 EST tzTxx5oq No.37572 Reply
refer to people who get things faster than you as nerds and start listening to Lil' Jon
>>
James Fammlewetch - Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:16:11 EST 5frD2gxZ No.37578 Reply
I posted in the other thread about learning music, but the rules apply to everything

http://boards.420chan.org/howto/res/37574.php#i37577

Basically you want to achieve an internalized understanding through whatever means necessary. Your mind has to keep up 100% with what's going on or you will not remember it and you will not intrinsically understand it.

Bill Evans explains it best:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHWaGuurUk
>>
>>
Thomas Buggledock - Sun, 02 Aug 2015 07:06:05 EST 63wtzUls No.37582 Reply
>>37271

Try singing while you practice fighting. It will help brain work harder, get more exercise. Heh, and as an added perk, you will get more stamina and have better control.

Could also take phenylpiracetam and eat a ton of eggs.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.