Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Tiny Home?

- Wed, 25 Feb 2015 23:48:12 EST 0xi9ECCA No.37317
File: 1424926092705.jpg -(210192B / 205.27KB, 900x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Tiny Home?
My girlfriend is looking to build a Tiny Home. She's buying books on how to construct roofs and shit like that. Shes taking it really serious and I want to back her up and help her. Anyone have any input?
>>
Hugh Dovinghood - Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:25:45 EST NheOdmO0 No.37318 Reply
1424935545979.gif -(1122989B / 1.07MB, 266x268) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Woman
>Building a house
>>
Archie Sirringbury - Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:53:12 EST DzFaElJw No.37319 Reply
>>37317
Ask some amish dudes to review the woodwork.
>>
Graham Gondlebin - Sat, 28 Feb 2015 03:40:49 EST nMl0Am1P No.37320 Reply
I wanted to do this as well, but don't have the time or resources. Good luck with it. Only advice I have is that you can find a lot of random parts for the houses (doorknobs, windows, toilets) in places like the dump and stuff. Saves a lot of money to just scavenge and re-tool it for your purposes.
>>
Eliza Fullyhot - Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:02:22 EST /theOCvq No.37322 Reply
1425164542922.jpg -(91910B / 89.76KB, 480x615) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>37320
also if youre already using garbage, you can try reaching out to your friends...
>>
John Gerringgold - Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:19:02 EST Y3Y6yrz+ No.37324 Reply
If you want to DIY, I highly suggest learning basic framing carpentry. Maybe hit up a local Habitat for Humanity and try to volunteer at a build or see if they have classes. Learn how to comfortably operate basic power tools and carpenter's tools. Learn Sketchup or CAD and get familiar with reading and making plans. Research your ass off. Design your house around the appliances you need rather than designing a house and trying to find appliances that will fit in the allotted space you made. If you want it to be legal you have to look up your city code and build to that. Some people build to RV codes or additional dwelling codes and make their tiny house legal that way. If you're building it to tow, be careful of weight limits and legal road limits. Research alternative energy like wind and solar, human compost, passive cooling/heating, and use building materials that are non-toxic since you will be in a concentrated space. Oh, and a hearty fuck you to >>37318 because I'm a woman in construction as a carpenter.
>>
Graham Drommerforth - Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:58:38 EST +nCYt6Sj No.37331 Reply
>>37324
i actually wouldnt cad it out, id cardboard template everything and build to fit.... for one, the trailer may nto be fully square, or what you think might be adequate amount of space to take a shit ends up being a little claustrophobic. i would totally 100% follow your advice and build around the appliances you need, and have a general lay out in mind but i would not set things in stone.

op, theres alot of videos on this and many many ways to do this but a few things to remember. if you live in the south it gets really fucking hot, if you live in the north it gets really fucking cold. you really need to live in a place that stays simi moderate all year long to be comfortable.

insulate your floor especially if you are in a trailer style build. that black top will be refelcting 100+ degree temps into the bottom of your building, keep that shit out as much as possible.
>>
Esther Bibberwidging - Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:46:58 EST Y3Y6yrz+ No.37332 Reply
>>37331
Abandon hope if your trailer isn't square. Having the most solid, well-built trailer is important because that's literally your foundation. Maybe we are thinking of the term "square" in different ways. But yeah, you have to basically build the house earthquake proof and hurricane proof if you plan on towing it on roads. There's actually a pretty good TH community on red.dit and the people are extremely helpful. I'd spend a few hours reading their archives and taking notes. I learned a lot from just skimming posts.

I just hope you're one of the people trying to embrace a more minimal,self-sustaining lifestyle with the TH, and not just a quirky couple who wants to live tiny. Do it for the right reasons.
>>
Frederick Seckletat - Sun, 22 Mar 2015 06:22:48 EST RmgxAoO8 No.37376 Reply
Go for recycled materials, ive seen windows/walls built with old glass bottles stacked as if they were bricks.
>>
Doris Semmerhedging - Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:26:09 EST YSJWIFf0 No.37436 Reply
Search adobe bricks or supet adobe. You are welcome
>>
Nicholas Grimwill - Fri, 15 May 2015 09:04:20 EST iYZI0JT+ No.37474 Reply
Use glass fiber reinforced concrete, to make the wall panels.

GFRC is light and strong and if you build 1 well thought out mold for the wall you can use that same mold to pour 8 sections. You can make the mold with wood boards and the concrete will pick up the texture and look really cool.

Place a wooden or plastic box frames where you want to put windows/hatches/doors. You can also pour the concrete with tied rebar for reinforcement and also include some threaded rod or some bolts sticking out of the panels so that it hardens with the metal exposed for fastening the panels to each other.

Build it like this floorplan:
_ _ _
| _ _ _ |
\

For the roof use your typical tin roof sheet. For connecting everything together you may want to use some type of metal studs.

Paint it and insulate it.

Let me know how it goes!

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.