Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Logics

- Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:54:37 EST clqNcD20 No.37409
File: 1428702877136.jpg -(157956B / 154.25KB, 800x532) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Logics
I remember someone saying on /lit/ that philosophers are the masters of logics the other day. Another person argued that knowing how to deal with logics facilitates critical thinking and therefore beneficial.

But how does one start with logics? I see there are many types of logic, so I am at a loss here.
If why I'm seeking this knowledge is important, then it is because I'm interested to find out more about critical thinking and reasoning. Where should I start?

Thanks and here are some shotguns for a wanky zombie apocalypse.
>>
Nell Clabberpick - Sat, 02 May 2015 04:48:26 EST 0y3sTrfu No.37444 Reply
>>37409
There are three different appeals when arguing. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_of_persuasion

Basically, Pathos is an appeal to emotions. If you see people arguing over abortion, pathos is the strongest weapon that the pro-life group uses. They want to convince everybody that every fetus is a soul that deserves a chance to live. But the pro-choice groups use pathos fairly heavily too when speaking about the horror stories from the foster care system.
None of these things are backed by specific facts, but they appeal to the emotional side of the audience.

Ethos is an appeal to credibility of the speaker, so it's a fairly weak appeal to use anywhere except IRL amongst your own people when whipping up a mob. Don't use this online ever unless you've already destroyed someone's argument with the other two appeals.

Logos, the one you are probably most interested in, deals with logic and facts. This appeal is ideal for the internet because we have a plethora of information at our fingertips and can verify any fact in a heartbeat. It is useful in real life, but can become confusing to outsiders and you yourself can forget facts. But you can string together a logical chain to come to a pathos-centered conclusion.

Whatever, i'm not able to articulate any further what I want to, but I feel dissatisfied with my answer. I spent all this time making it, so here you go. Just read as much as you can and don't trust anybody that tells you they have all the answers.
>>
Jenny Nummerforth - Thu, 14 May 2015 02:00:51 EST ZD0U1bQV No.37468 Reply
1431583251877.jpg -(54889B / 53.60KB, 537x358) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>37444
Concise and to the point. I liked it.
Bumping this board because I was thinking people should make more .jpgs of how things are SPECIFICALLY made (wifi, computers, chips, plastic melting facilities, etc.)
>>
Esther Buzzfield - Thu, 14 May 2015 13:01:28 EST XaCvlFiu No.37469 Reply
>>37444
Well said, this board is highly underrated.

As for you OP, my suggestion is to start reading major philosophical works. This is the type of stuff that will have you questioning the questions, critical thinking is very essential and a lot of ppl over look it.
>>
Nell Demblewater - Sun, 17 May 2015 02:48:37 EST f6+NhG4/ No.37479 Reply
You learn logic by learning mathematical proofs. You use induction/logic as a way of thinking to throw away the bullshit.

10 Ways to think like a Mathematician
http://www.kevinhouston.net/pdf/10ways.pdf

Stanford intro to logic course
https://www.coursera.org/course/intrologic

Formal Logic
https://www.coursera.org/course/logic1

Mathematics and Philosophy are intertwined, consider Bertrand Russel who wrote The Principles of Mathematics, and an excellent chapter on how it connects to logic http://fair-use.org/bertrand-russell/the-principles-of-mathematics/s10
>>
Basil Hendlehood - Sat, 23 May 2015 15:56:39 EST zqKaRbxC No.37489 Reply
>>37409
Yes, they are masters of rational logic.
Together with mathematicians.

And that's why they can't comprehend the chaotic thought, nor the random nature of the world of fiction and illusion that we live in.

I say this:learn logic fallacies so that you can use them to your advantage to beat people up in arguments. Beyond that, logic is more harmful then helpful.
>>
Lydia Worthingham - Fri, 29 May 2015 22:55:06 EST XAx4F9cK No.37500 Reply
>>37444
I disagree with Nell Clabberpick. He's talking about rhetoric, not LOGIC. Rhetoric is an awesome subject though, so it's no loss if OP went off to learn that.

To learn logic, there's a few modes you can learn. First, puzzles. Puzzles are logic. But informal. The second option is to read introductory philosophy texts. These give you a better idea of what logic is, and formalizes it a little bit. Eventually, you could move onto advanced philosophy and formal logic. But the typical philosophy curriculum takes a few years to do this. That's too long IMO.

Or, you could immediately pick up an introductory math textbook on logic/proofs (Nell Demblewater's links are probably good). It seriously changed how I think. It doesn't give you superhuman abilities, it just slightly clears up your thoughts and gives an interesting way to approach arguments.

>>37489
>Implying logic is somehow contrary to stochastic models.
LOL. At least you're not using logic to justify your opposition to logic. Because that would be hypocritical.
>>
Whitey Cheddlebidging - Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:21:00 EST VXPvRV9U No.37548 Reply
>>37409

Philosophy student here. Just buy textbooks on sentential and formal logic and you should be good to go. You'll realize that math is just logic applied to quantities, which makes both math and logic easier.
>>
Thomas Buggledock - Sun, 02 Aug 2015 07:30:52 EST 63wtzUls No.37586 Reply
>>37409

Just learn to trace back your thoughts and opinions. Every thought had a reason, whether apparent or not. If you learn the whole chain, it's easier to see if it's right or not, and the reasons behind them.
>>
Sophie Bingershaw - Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:18:56 EST 63wtzUls No.37596 Reply
>>37409

Just pay attention to the information you take in.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.