Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Figuring Out an Identity

- Wed, 27 May 2015 01:07:27 EST EQvfPVaq No.37494
File: 1432703247142.jpg -(1105690B / 1.05MB, 1920x1200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Figuring Out an Identity
How does someone find their "identity" or purpose? How do I understand who I am?

More importantly, how do I find out what I want out of life?

What do you personally want from life?
>>
Matilda Dombleridge - Wed, 27 May 2015 06:43:05 EST KIBJiw8W No.37496 Reply
Maybe start by thinking about what you don't want, and go the opposite way?
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !loJSOMZg0g - Wed, 27 May 2015 20:26:41 EST 4QMV+NIX No.37498 Reply
Do a bunch of different stuff until you find a thing that really captivates your interest.

Of course, there are lots of ways to go about finding your"self" or learning what you want out of life. The one I mentioned just seems to be the most straightforward, one-size-fits-all method.
>>
Cyril Fassleville - Thu, 04 Jun 2015 03:56:15 EST BP89LRbk No.37507 Reply
you know the old saying

when the student is ready, the teacher will appear

look around you, maybe there is a good mentor or life-coach to help you with these issues
>>
Barnaby Boddlestock - Sat, 06 Jun 2015 19:31:29 EST xDnNtH2K No.37510 Reply
>>37494
Take psychedelics and let your mind ponder
>>
Esther Pittspear - Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:15:22 EST rhtuyisS No.37532 Reply
>>37494
Figure out whatever you're most terrified of and do that.
>>
Acaelus - Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:48:31 EST rjJhsFe8 No.37533 Reply
We all become what we pretend to be, friend.

I want peace. Complete, peace.
>>
Hedda Bicklenatch - Wed, 01 Jul 2015 21:33:10 EST G6BT3tUq No.37544 Reply
>>37494
I tattooed my face. I don't think it helped.
>>
Nigel Fandlechodging - Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:04:55 EST AlaVjJLC No.37570 Reply
I want to be judged on what I did and who I was.
>>
Nell Finnerman - Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:52:47 EST tzTxx5oq No.37571 Reply
> How do I understand who I am?
Take a loooong vacation, like a year where you don't work and don't have to do much. I was at university, but when someone in my familiy died I took 1 1/2 years off and did nothing in perticular. I did not waste most of my time, however, I just spend the days taking walks and thinking.

Also: Go experience yourself in another culture, not for a one week vacation, but for at least half a year.

The key is: it takes a lot of time. Psychedelics may help a little. It helped me, but theres also the "danger" that you take everything you conclude on a trip too seriously and still believe in it afterwards. 99% of thoughts on a trip are crap, but you still have a feeling of tremendous insight with the greatest nonsense that you come up with.

But don't expect a magic pill: the key is, it takes time and thought. And boredom. You cannot do this while you are distracted by work, hobbies or the internet.

>More importantly, how do I find out what I want out of life?
I can recommend the "Seven Habits of highly successful people", especially chapter 1. It's available as an audiobook (on youtube for example)
>>
Thomas Buggledock - Sun, 02 Aug 2015 07:17:08 EST 63wtzUls No.37584 Reply
The first step is to ask the right person. The second step is to listen to them.

The right person, is yourself. Go listen.
>>
Sophie Bingershaw - Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:20:01 EST 63wtzUls No.37597 Reply
Ever try asking yourself and listening to the response?
>>
Jack Pickwater - Fri, 14 Aug 2015 23:01:01 EST N6uajY1V No.37598 Reply
>>37494
I was in your position the majority of my teenage years. I eventually gave up, called it quits and just did what everyone else does sorta.

>Get a job.
>Hate it.
>Toil to fund all the costs of living.
>Get home, dead tired, eat some shitty 2 dollar can of potted meat.
>Go to sleep.
>Repeat.

Ahh... the life a mediocrity. Not nice, but not "that" shitty.
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !loJSOMZg0g - Mon, 17 Aug 2015 23:42:17 EST ehWoM4P0 No.37601 Reply
>>37584
>>37597
I know firsthand that it's not that easy. I've asked myself questions about identity, purpose, and what I want out of life so many times, listened patiently, and received no response. Even while on dissociatives and psychedelics.
>>
>>
David Bunman - Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:18:51 EST SX+pEuNL No.37609 Reply
google Vipassanna meditation OP
>>
Archie Hassleshaw - Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:59:39 EST rpZwg8BQ No.37613 Reply
You can only eat what's on your plate. In other words, you're not going to figure everything out in one go. And you'll probably never have everything figured out for any significant amount of time.

That being said, what's your plate look like? Is there some meat/substance? Is it healthy? Lots of side dishes/activities? Too much empty space/free time? What do future meals look like? Assess your situation and take note of what you do like and what you don't like.

Maybe you need a whole new plate. Maybe your plate is fine china but you want a paper plate. Maybe you want expensive food, maybe you have no idea what you want to eat.

If you're in a worst case scenario, like what I had, where I didn't recognize the plate I was eating on nor the food that was on it, flip the plate over and find another plate.

I was totally lost for years, still am. I'm figuring it out, but from time to time I'll get the same question, "what am I doing?" "where am I going?". %100 of the time it ends up working out and I was just skeezing for no reason. When you get older you start to relax a bit and realize "this is me and I can't be so hard on myself for not being super-me".

OP, if you truly want to get down to the bottom of you. I suggest frequent radical change until you reach a moment of stasis. Go driving and don't come back. Go do some drugs in the forest if you can't leave home for some reason. Watch some inspirational youtube videos. Take a long walk. Get out of your comfort zone and do something crazy. Write down "impossible" things you want to do. Stare at a wall. Drink a ton of caffeine. Shake your world but make sure you're still in control.

There's a ton of stuff to do out there and so many great opportunities you've never dreamed of. The best way to find them is to act out your soul. Go travel and be free. Eventually, whether you like it or not, you'll settle into your spot in the world. It's so entirely common that people never figure out these questions, so be okay with that. You will create the world you're comfortable in, everything is a choice. You can do it, OP.
>>
Henry Dribblewock - Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:29:15 EST dhARia+O No.37616 Reply
I try not to see "life" as a single thing, rather as a series of amorphous, but unique, successive episodes. 23 year old me is a vastly different "me" than 18 year old me was, who in turn was vastly different from 14 year old me. Before that I wasn't even a fully-cognizant human being.

The only constant is that everything going forward is built upon everything that has passed.

Your identity is inherent. It isn't something to find. It is something to cultivate.

Your purpose is what you make of it.

You find out who you truly are by how your respond to stimuli, the lifetime of experiences you acquire, the aggregate of knowledge you've both gleaned and gained through purposeful study, and use of skills and language unique and specific to yourself.
>>
Shitting Pankinstene - Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:05:41 EST 47j7rrfG No.37830 Reply
whatever job you do most i assume.
>>
Graham Picklock - Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:31:38 EST ZJdcriYp No.37895 Reply
You dont find it, you have to decide it. Neoliberalism has a good part: you can be anything you choose and make profit out of it.

The cons? Life is finite and deisitions have repercutions. Thats the game of life.

Have you ever known about someone who choose his path and is totally unsuccessful?
>>
Molly Sollernick - Mon, 18 Apr 2016 00:41:18 EST ubaAlja5 No.37900 Reply
>>37532
So I ate a bunch of spiders and told my parents I don't really love them.

Now I have a mouthful of spider bits and I'm out of the will. Thanks a lot, asshole.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.