420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Learning German by Ebenezer Sishridge - Tue, 11 Oct 2016 20:18:10 EST ID:S+cf3bfL No.12675 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1476231490368.png -(501677B / 489.92KB, 496x495) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 501677
So basically I've spent the past 24 years of my life never planning anything or putting any real effort towards anything I've done. I scraped by a university degree in a subject I will never get a job in and I've been consistantly underemployed in shitty jobs while living at home with my parents and masturbating constantly.

At the beginning of the year I went on holiday to Berlin and had the time of my life. Since then I had 2 cups of coffee one morning and basically planned out the next 6 years of my life. I wont bore you with the details but the most important part is that I will be moving to Berlin after my brothers wedding in May next year. This gives me 9 months to save up as much money as possible and, more importantly for this board, learn as much German as I possibly can.

The last language I learned was French. I remember making fun of the teacher by asking her if she "got lucky" because she came in wearing the same clothes 2 days in a row. I do not remember anything else.

Obviously the deciding factor in all of this will be my own discipline and work ethic, but I've come to 420chan for just about every major thing in my life since I was 16 and like hell am I going to stop now. Does anyone have any helpful links/stories/tips/anything-at-all they can give me about learning German?
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Tue, 11 Oct 2016 23:26:37 EST ID:7p1p5CXp No.12676 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Damn. I wish two cups of coffee would make me feel like planning out the next six years.
>>
schepperschop - Tue, 11 Oct 2016 23:30:58 EST ID:3laDHz6H No.12677 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12675
Heil Hitler!
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Tue, 11 Oct 2016 23:53:37 EST ID:m2/E3ccT No.12678 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12676
Yeah, but think of all the other stimulants, though.
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Sat, 15 Oct 2016 22:54:41 EST ID:7p1p5CXp No.12679 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Lol @ the sudden horde of attention whore tripfags who didn't answer any of OP's questions

Nice going, assh... wait a minute! OH SHIT!
>>
Rebecca Hullerchodging - Thu, 27 Oct 2016 00:15:04 EST ID:Toy6Ha5H No.12694 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Duolingo can help with some basics. Get anki and be religiously dedicated to it for massing vocabulary. Coffe break German maybe, I use the French one. It's a free podcast. Also pimsleur.
>>
Samuel Honeydale - Sat, 05 Nov 2016 00:16:03 EST ID:BaQMI3Pf No.12702 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12675
guten tag, mein brueder.

American here, spent 3.5 years in high school german class and two semester s of college. I'm not fluent though, my grades were always pretty bad. anyway, I just came on here because I'm thinking about finally taking the language seriously.

i don't really have a lot to add, sorry. I would love to go there though
>>
Emma Pockwell - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:51:36 EST ID:uEpWFA1y No.12706 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you want to self-learn, there's no substitute for getting a few good books - at least one dealing with grammar and another with vocabulary, and maybe a third which puts them both together, then actually go to Germany and spend as much time there as possible, if you can - this is pretty much how I'm going about it, but then I'm from the UK, so cheap flights etc,,,

If you can't get there, look up some expat websites (maybe not internations - I joined that, then started finding loads of reports all over the web saying it was basically a pyramid paid membership scheme) and maybe see if there's a German community where you live - you could offer to do an informal language exchange (bear in mind many Germans learn English almost to second language standard though) or just make a profile saying you want to learn German and see what happens...

Failing all that, see if there's any cheap or free college courses around.

Having English as a first language helps a lot - it's a Germanic language, which makes other Germanic languages much easier to learn, as opposed to the Latin / Romantic languages - French, Spanish etc
>>
Emma Pockwell - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:04:48 EST ID:uEpWFA1y No.12707 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12706

Just remembered - apparently if you're planning to immigrate to Germany, which I am, the government offer free courses - havent really looked into that yet though, I want to actually move here first

Also there's a European standard of language skills, from A - C, with C2 (I think) being complete fluency - there are a few websites you can test yourself on for free - I've managed to get to B1, pretty much the minimum standard to live and work here, in just a few months

nb
>>
Betsy Crunnerville - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 19:20:20 EST ID:NZmMur/5 No.12710 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12707
any test that does not have a speaking and writing component will not give you an accurate gage of your level.
>>
Nathaniel Gorryspear - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:46:22 EST ID:ZGFxMxgk No.12730 Ignore Report Quick Reply
holy fuck you guys are great at supplying absolutely nothing and ignoring OP
babaum.com I use to memorise nouns and verbs
clozemaster.com for after you've been studying for a while
duolingo.com is beginners heaven
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKkDjgBOPjWFUZUlX9n11X4w5QctOQQZG german movies
Youtube channels
slow german, Get germanized, bookbox german, deutsch für euch, Heidi oficial

I reccommend keeping a notebook to write down words zou dont know and translate
Google Translate is onlz good for some individual words, otherwise it's pretty much shit.
tatoeba.org for sentences, I haven't used it so I don't know if its good or not
bab.la another one I haven't really used

good luck
>>
Nathaniel Gorryspear - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:47:15 EST ID:ZGFxMxgk No.12731 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>12730
babadum.com I meant

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.