Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

germanic

- Thu, 01 May 2014 22:57:40 EST PE8s70rS No.11330
File: 1398999460565.jpg -(36709B / 35.85KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. germanic
Hello /lang/

American here, speak english and farsi fluently since i was taught them very young, took german in high school for 4 years as well as teaching myself it to get ahead through music, movies, stories on the internet. I would say I am quite proficient but not fluent since there is always more to learn.

I want to learn a germanic/european language, I am conflicted between these 3:

Danish
Dutch
Polish (is this considered germanic?)

Which would be best for me to learn given my current lang set? My main motivation is for the challenge and since I know german pretty well, maybe i could get a bit of a jump start with one of these languages.

Also on topic with Danish, since it is similar to Norwegian or Swedish, would it be more beneficial to learn one those instead to speak Danish or just stick with Danish.

Thanks in advance
>>
Ian Lightson - Fri, 02 May 2014 06:12:19 EST NqJL1ymG No.11332 Reply
Polish is Slavic. It's like Czech, Slovak, or Sorbian, or to a far different degree, sorta like Schooln, Ukrainian, BeloSchooln, or even Macedonian, Bulgarian, or the things that Serbian is a part of. It's also maybe the hardest of all the Slavic languages to learn, in part because it's highly "conservative" (it's more basal and keeps a lot of the defining irregularities of the other Slavic languages).

Dutch is like halfway between Modern German and Old English - not Early Modern English of the Bible or Middle English of Chaucer but the old English of Beowulf (ie HWAET we Gar-dena, in gear-dagum, theod-cyninga þrym gefrunon...).

But its MUCH more like Modern German than either; Dutch is almost mutually intelligible with German, which is to say they can almost be understood by each other without the other really learning anything about them. Dutch is also kinda Frenchy - it's usually nasally and has more French words that German. It insists even harder than German on the uvular Parisian r.

Dutch also kinda buys you Afrikaans if you ever want to go to former Dutch Africa.

Danish is North Germanic - it's completely unintelligible from the rest, but German has areas where it gradually becomes Danish like it does with Dutch. But the language is relatively very different from German. It's benefit to English is English has a bunch (but not a whole lot) of words borrowed from what you can call the immediate ancestor of Danish, Swedish, and Icelandic.

Danish buys you about half of Norway, the standard languages being close enough in writing and speaking that they usually get treated as one language by companies. It kinda buys you the less standard Norwegian and maybe Swedish too, in the same way German buys you most of Dutch. Note that there's still a lot of differences, it's not like you just get it for free.

Polish has limited use, but businesses like it because Poland got the economic shock after the collapse of the Polish People's Republic. But I say again it hard.

Dutch has arguably the most use and is close enough to German that it's more like learning the differences between it and German than learning a whole nother language. It isn't as useful business wise, though working Benelux (Dutch+Belgian French) things is growing more viable. It's also mildly useful if you intend to ever try and work in some of the former Dutch African countries, like Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe (fat chance), or to a much much lesser extent Angola. Indonesia has some work for it too, being that they're the former Dutch Indies. But pretty much the only things you could there they all have more than enough of, or are wholly academic like documenting Khoe-San languages.

Danish really doesn't have a use outside of Denmark, Norway, and to a lesser extent Sweden. Probably the least useful of the three. But you know Hans Christian Anderson.
>>
Priscilla Blisslefudge - Sat, 11 Jan 2020 21:50:15 EST rQ6ueb/t No.13076 Reply
>>11330
این سوال جوابش وایسته است روی نیت و وضعیت خودت ولی سودمندترین زبانی از نظر کار و اهمیت اقتصادی و نزدیکترین به زبان المان هولاندی است

دانمارکی ادبیات مشهوری داره (سورن کیرکگارد و هانس اندرسون مثلا) ولی اگر نوروژی یا سوئدی یاد بگیری فکر میکنم میتوانی زبان دانمارکی را بفهمی و اگر نمیتوانی یاد گرفتن او بسیار اسانتر است

لهستانی نمیتوانم چیزی بگم چونکه هیچی ازش نمیدونم
اگر هنوز هستی دوست دارم انتخاب تو را بدونم
>>
Samuel Chegglefack - Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:43:13 EST U+RPs2IH No.13077 Reply
>>11332

Dutch is also loaded with Spanish words like guitarra. American English has much more Dutch than BBC english, like in use of thaler (dollar), stoop, or kop (as in coppin' dope). Once literally heard a song there named 'gleep-gloop'. Would double-plus recommend learning it on the ground if you have blond haar
>>
Fanny Siddlemadge - Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:41:24 EST ENIyF/K2 No.13103 Reply
>>13077
American English has much more Dutch/b]

When I, an American, looked into Dutch I found it to be very comfortable to learn, unlike French or Spanish. Lots of cross-inteligibilty between the two.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.