Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE HORROR STORIES ETC

- Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:13:29 EST mPRdrUeT No.11631
File: 1409055209501.jpg -(55297B / 54.00KB, 352x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE HORROR STORIES ETC
I've just finished my Cambridge ELT qualification, got a job offer (signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours) and I'm now about to move away to a Eurasian metropolis where I will be undertaking my first English teaching job.

tell me about how snotty the kids are going to be
any horror stories (to tell camp-fire style)?
been figuratively fucked in the arse by a language school?
>>
Nicholas Biblinglock - Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:48:18 EST ph+yfDWN No.11636 Reply
it really depends on the country you are teaching in.

In the Czech Republic all the kids were really polite and well behaved. In Spain they were pretty wild but definitely not snotty.... Well.. I mean they had lots of snot, kids produce so much snot.. but they weren't arrogant.
>>
Martha Brookcocke - Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:08:50 EST /B/BFMOS No.11637 Reply
>been figuratively fucked in the arse by a language school?

Never mind the kids, this is what you should be worried about. Getting into bed with a dishonest company is always bad news.
>>
Samuel Senningshit - Sat, 30 Aug 2014 04:35:23 EST vJHUOUD6 No.11642 Reply
How long does it take to get an ELT qualification? How much would you have to work to make, say, $250 (US) a week?
>>
Lydia Muddlestadging - Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:02:26 EST hHkY/Pka No.11643 Reply
>>11637

What? I have been working in ESL in Europe for 7 years and I've never had this happen or had it happen to anyone I know.

>>11642

It depends on the country. In The Czech Republic you'll make about 4 euro an hour. In Spain you'll make 15 after a while, 9 in your first year. In Germany you could be looking at 20 if you have experience and are fluent in German.
Everyone says Dubai pays the most, but the kids are supposed to be a nightmare.
>>
Lydia Muddlestadging - Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:06:32 EST hHkY/Pka No.11644 Reply
>>11642

The weekend ELT courses are all scams. They give a qualification to absolutely anybody who is willing to pay, and the majority of schools know that.

A CELTA course is 120+ hours or so and takes about a month, with about 7 hours of teaching practice. But I recommend doing a 2 month part time course if at all possible.

It costs about €1,500 euro.
>>
Phyllis Gackledale - Fri, 05 Dec 2014 22:35:51 EST jnF9nI22 No.11887 Reply
It's gonna depend on the country really op.
I teach in Myanmar and it's great, children and adults are enthusiastic about learning, because of the culture here. It's also rare for schools to be dicks to foreigners because of supply and demand.

Salary is about $1000-$2000/month can be more (if you work for an international school it's more).
>>
Angus Clozzlekit - Thu, 08 Jan 2015 14:56:17 EST 1v08dn/1 No.11953 Reply
It costs about $2,500 to get certified with TESL, and I currently don't have the cash for that.
i am going to have to wait until next winter break after I graduate. Hopefully with a bachelors and a TESL certificate I can land something.
>>
Walter Sallyfot - Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:37:30 EST IkmPaxNO No.12597 Reply
I was once teaching this guy who was working at a factory and because his factory was bought by Swedes he was freaking out they are going to fire everyone who does not speak English.

So he found me and I started teaching him some basic stuff like the verb "to be". For almost 30 minutes he could not understand that you, we and they have the same from for be

>Let's try it again how do you say "we are" in English
>We...?
>We are.
>But "are" is for you

this was like 8th attempt
>>
Martin Bumblewater - Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:32:17 EST DP5dz+F5 No.12600 Reply
>>12597
Most languages are a bunch of rules with a couple of exceptions you have to memorize.

English is a bunch of exceptions with a couple of rules you have to memorize.
>>
Rebecca Ceckleville - Mon, 04 Jul 2016 15:11:19 EST lksZKOMh No.12601 Reply
>>12597
Learning english grammar seems like it'd be a nightmare, there's no coherence anywhere, so I can't say I blame the guy.
>>
Shitting Pickford - Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:18:57 EST W3DYcx/s No.12607 Reply
>>12600
>>12601
not true in both cases.

English has a lot of exceptions, but that's because it's such a mongrel language. But overall, it IS quite regular.
>>
>>
Basil Worthingson - Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:56:56 EST YCGVMi/T No.12609 Reply
English is pretty easy for beginners compared to a lot of languages.

i / you / we /they play
he / she / it plays
i / you / he / she / it / we / they played
i / you / he / she / it / we / they will play

compare that to memorising separate verb endings for each person.
We don't decline nouns like a slavic language
we don't conjugate prepositions like a Gaelic language
we use the roman alphabet...

But once you get past elementary English is hard, every language is hard because every language has its own crazy things.

The more different it is from your own language the more crazy things it seems like it has, but that is only because you don't have similar crazy things in your language, your language has its own crazy.
>>
Jack Gecklesark - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:54:00 EST taK6tIbb No.12644 Reply
I'd actually like to teach English as a foreign language in an international school or something. What are the requirements for such a job? Does it pay well?
>>
Hugh Puckledale - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:17:09 EST HU6JyZmP No.12645 Reply
1471799829894.jpg -(58954B / 57.57KB, 640x560) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
How difficult is it to teach English in the EU? What do I need to make it happen?
>>
Henry Fanwater - Thu, 15 Sep 2016 22:37:30 EST Bdrk/Gkl No.12669 Reply
>>12607
It's the spelling exceptions that make it a chore to read and write, but for speaking it's quite simple.
>>
Clara Worthinggold - Fri, 16 Sep 2016 00:29:59 EST mVf2/T6i No.12670 Reply
>>12645
Can't speak for other regions, but our English teachers in Scandinavia are usually (read: Never heard of this not being the case) locals with a BA in teaching (specializing in English) or an MA in English (for high school-equivalents).
You might have better luck in the PIIGS (sans Ireland), but even then it's likely they've got locals who know more about English grammar than you ever want to, even if they have a weird accent.

tl;dr: Speak the local language fluently and have an MA in English as a foreign language, and you'll get to compete with the thousands of other candidates who can do the job and know the local culture better than you are likely to ever know it.

Not that it's impossible, it's just not Asia-tier levels of easy to get a job just by being white and anglo, and you're more likely to have to do some private classes with annoying business-types who speak shit English if you go do it.

Tbh, I'd recommend just getting a job in a major Russian town instead (got a couple Chechen friends who say it's easy if you speak good English) and flying to the EU for whatever you can't easily/legally do in Russia,
>>
Doris Fuggleville - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 20:23:52 EST EyvlnHM8 No.12672 Reply
>>12644

I think you need a bachelor's degree from a university. My sister used her degree and has been teaching English to kids in Japan for four years.
>>
Betsy Crunnerville - Fri, 11 Nov 2016 19:27:16 EST NZmMur/5 No.12713 Reply
>>12644
You need a CELTA course. In Europe it pays between €5 and €25 an hour, depending on the country. You have to start in the countries that pay fuck all and build experience. No one will hire you with an Online Cactus course or any of those websites that offer weekend courses.

>>12645
Getting a job is not hard if you have a CELTA qualification and if you get the visa and do all the paper work yourself. Schools will hire British and Irish people before you, and only hire Americans when they are desperate, because they hate doing the paperwork. Soon though British and Americans will be equally undesirable, so there will be more demand for you, the population of Ireland is only 4 million after all, they can't exactly teach all of of Europe English.

(I am an ELT teacher who has worked in 3 EU countries)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.