Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Does anyone speak Irish (Gaeilge)

- Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:42:54 EST V3PCboNV No.11633
File: 1409089374301.png -(35293B / 34.47KB, 600x700) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Does anyone speak Irish (Gaeilge)
Does anyone who's not a native Irish person know how to speak any Irish? I'm from Ireland myself and sweet fuck all of the people that inhabit this Island can speak their native tongue. Unfortunately I have to include myself in that category.

So, have you ever known anyone that wasn't Irish/ from Ireland that could speak Irish? Or even knew if the language was still remotely alive?

We have our constitution written in both English and Irish so that's kinda handy.
>>
Shit Murdhall - Tue, 09 Sep 2014 01:56:39 EST MjqW+o8h No.11684 Reply
Me, I learned Scots Gaelic when I was a child (just from library books and snippets on the internet, this was while the other kids were playing football and looking at girls).
Then I looked at some Irish but I never had anyone to practise these languages with. And the whole world is a showcase of the weird and wonderful languages so I couldn't keep it in my head while I learned some other languages
>>
Emma Bivingnat - Tue, 09 Sep 2014 23:55:45 EST Z1v+SCTB No.11687 Reply
My favorite teacher in high school was man named Jones. To reconnect with his Welsh roots (and study musicology the way he wanted; he was a music man) he worked his way into a program that got him a scholarship to Oxford I believe. This was way back right after Ireland got fully independent, he was an old guy.

But while he was learning how to be a welshman everyone was talking about how "Irish probably won't even survive until the 80s" or something so he took to helping preserve it as a linguist and a musicologist, and became extremely fluent in multiple dialects of Gaelic. For a long time he lived there but for whatever reason ended up in California. There's a super small but present Gaelic community south of where I am and he got involved with him. He told stories of speaking in Gaelic until his wife called or something, and speak American English perfectly and send the natives into a shock when they realized he wasn't one of them.

In addition to his teaching musicianship (which included music theory and a whole bunch of things) he'd teach a "celtic studies" elective for two weeks about every 6 months. We'd do a little bit of language learning but nothing respectable, but we would get to watch Aifric or Gaelic language spongebob and listen to Celtic Music of all kinds (he taught us a puirt a beul for the fun of it). And occasionally see Welsh things too but according to him like no one cares about welsh so there's nothing available for it or in it.

Also about England, the famine, the IRA in all its incarnations, and why Oliver Cromwell was literally Hitlersatan

That's about my experience with it as an American. Other than because of him I include music from like Altan, Julie Fowlis, or Alan Stivell in my collection. And ran into a few people who really loved the languages through that class. Tolkien geeks and this guy who loved Debussy
>>
Emma Bivingnat - Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:00:55 EST Z1v+SCTB No.11688 Reply
>>11687
Should mention he was also Albanian on his ma's side but since Shqip hit the fan and went full commie he pursued his dad's side.
>>
Ernest Snodway - Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:46:54 EST rcuSMzvq No.11704 Reply
I feel obliged to point out that not "sweet fuck all" people speak Irish. Admittedly its not a huge amount, but lets say youre including people who have a reasonably functionaning conversational knowledge of it (although far from perfect or even that good) and Im quite sure that figure goes up to around 500,000 (maybe even more but I doubt it). Obviously as a percentage of the entire population of the island of Ireland it's not a huge amount but for a language that has suffered so much oppression, immigration and then poor attempts at reviiving/teaching it by its new masters its not the worst.

Although I am Irish OP I have a fair amount of Irish when I immerse myself in it. I visited the Aran Islands a while ago, with my Irish-speaking ex and so naturally was surrounded lots of native Irish being spoken around the island. I stopped being shy about it and started speaking it and realized I had way more than I thought. I think the same is a lot for of Irish people, we are taught it for so long even though its method is terrible, but despite that it stays locked away in the back of our minds and speak it for a few days and youll be flying it.

After feeling inspired I began to take Irish classes and doing my every bit of effort into keeping it alive. I listen to it on the radio all the time and make concentrated efforts to speak it with people who can speak it.

Lets never forget as well the people who can actually fluently speak Irish, both as a first or second language. I have many friends who dont come from the Gaeltacht but learned Irish through their own teaching or just studied really hard at school. Although a lot of them did go to Gaelscoils, too. As well there is the large number of teachers, police(wo)men and politicians who are required to learn Irish as part of their profession, though this is slowly changing.

I think its the self-defeatiest attitude that helps to the slow decline of Irish. A lot of people think its unfeasible to learn it or useless, but thinking like this and just using English for everything instead is obviously NOT going to help in its revival. Languages are in constant motion, they change, evolve and some do die. But not all of them, some die, some back. Some arent even dead, Irish is alive - just old. Wouldnt it be so fucking cool to walk around Dublin or Cork city and just hear Irish being used all around you? And as well the development of so many new different types of Irish dialects. Or even a very cool mix of English and Irish (though our version of English is heavily influcenced by Irish).

Although a lot more people in urban areas are starting to learn Irish. It is now middle class urbanites who are making the effort to learn Irish. Which is good, because they will do a better job at reviving it than lower class people. I hate to use classist terms and all that bullshit but you know it is true.

Anyways, sorry to go on a personal rant. I know a lot of people dont give a fuck if Irish lives or not so that is sad but either way if you are or or arent one of those people theres no reason to just let Irish die without even trying to do anything about it.

I live in Galway so I get pretty decent exposure to Irish, but I still wish there was a lot more. I wish Irish was my first language. Im going to have my kids have Irish as their first language. Theres no reason we cant still be completely fluent in English either. I admit I quite like English as well, and it of course has huge benefits.

So uh yeah... my 2 cents or something
>>
Ernest Snodway - Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:56:30 EST rcuSMzvq No.11705 Reply
>>11704
One more point; I think a lot of people are scared to learn Irish too because theyre shy about it. I realized there's no point in being shy about it because even if you suck at it there's no harm in speaking it - especially with other people who suck at it. And for people who do speak it theyre always so happy to see others learn it.

Tá mé ag dul codladh anois, oíche mhaith! Feiceann tu? Tá sé easca!
>>
Doris Brookridge - Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:28:12 EST LGXGhmDL No.11741 Reply
>>11687
>Gaelic language spongebob
OHMYGODTHISEXISTS
Any other Celtic spongebobs... I must do some research
>>
Sidney Clendlecocke - Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:28:22 EST LGXGhmDL No.11743 Reply
>>11742
Second link is some fag singing a singalong, I didn't watch the video before I posted, my bad.
>>
Eugene Nazzlegold - Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:10:38 EST zGA5Pwzt No.11752 Reply
>>11744
Pretty sure you need an Irish IP to watch TG4 and RTE.

TG4 can be really awesome. Sometimes there is some AMAZING documentaries on there about Ireland and her history, language, culture, sport, etc. Other times you get to watch Powerpuff Girls and South Park in Gaelic lol
>>
Faggy Brookford - Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:50:20 EST Z1v+SCTB No.11753 Reply
>>11752
I don't think that's the case, or at least it was 4-6 years ago. I've managed to stream stuff before with an American ip before too but I guess it could be a fluke or something.
>>
Ebenezer Cittingchatch - Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:44:36 EST 58qa6ktL No.11896 Reply
Bhuail mise le cailín as an fhrainc a bhí gaeilge aici am amháin
Labhairim féin Gaeilge tír-cónaill 's mar sin de ní raibh mé in inmhe í a thuiscint lol.

I met a girl from France who had Irish once, I speak donegal irish though so i couldn't understand her. Woops.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.