Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Language

- Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:20:57 EST SUCBYNUW No.11898
File: 1418246457231.png -(33973B / 33.18KB, 1012x596) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Language
'I don't think language creates reality. I think language filters reality, or anchors reality, or sticks reality in place. Or we're all climbing on a big rock cliff, and words are spikes driven into the rock, and languages are chains or ladders of spikes. And people use the spikes so much that they no longer know how to climb on rock. And whole cultures of people, with a limitless cliff face around them, are packed onto a few thin spike trails. And those who know how to drive spikes, and pull them out, manipulate the trails to serve their interests. And people are called "great" when they drive spikes into places no one (from their culture) has been in before. I think Jesus Christ was a rock climber. And St. Paul saw people starting to follow Jesus onto the rocks, and got frightened, and drove a few spikes in the direction Jesus was going and called it Christianity. And the central doctrine of Christianity is that Jesus was the only rock climber. I think we're all rock climbers. But I want to hang out here on the spikes a while longer. As St. Augustine said, "Lord, take away all my temptations, only not just yet.'
>>
Cedric Crallerfoot - Sun, 14 Dec 2014 18:06:23 EST RYQ9LXTa No.11903 Reply
1418598383186.jpg -(639858B / 624.86KB, 1333x2000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>11898
What a mishmash of ideas and concepts... First it assumes that there's some sort of universal and pure truth. Then it claims that words either hinder in realising that truth, or at the very best, are merely tools to be used by man.

After that, blammo, there's Jesus Christ Superstarclimber, and then... I'm lost.
>>
George Blythewater - Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:27:48 EST c6hl5F2A No.11924 Reply
>>11898
I remember seeing this thread on /b/ a few weeks ago. Were you the OP? At least there you got an active thread going. What I want to know is where you got this opinion about language from? Assuming that language creates reality is wrong but you have no foundation for your alternative so I wouldn't assume its any more correct than the point you disagreed with. Reality is something we need to learn through experience but without language how would we have the tools to learn it?

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.