Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Learning Japanese, tips on remembering Kanji besides radicals

- Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:42:43 EST 6f3V80M0 No.12536
File: 1454013763736.jpg -(8935B / 8.73KB, 320x354) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Learning Japanese, tips on remembering Kanji besides radicals
Ayy everyone. I'm in the process of learning Japanese. Just recently finished up with learning how to read Hiragana on textfugu and I'm starting on Kanji soon, and also Katakana shortly thereafter. Textfugu does a great job of helping me memerize radicals and stuff, but are there any more ways I can improve my long term memory of Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana? I found a PDF file of over 1000 Kanji in it so that's definitely going to help out a ton. If nothing else, I'm sure textfugu will help out sufficiently. It's a pretty great website. I highly recommend it for people learning on their own.

>also I'm not a spokesperson for the website, just saying it's really really helpful

Anyone care to share their experiences with learning Japanese? Tips and/or advice are always welcome!
>>
Anita Goodshit - Mon, 01 Feb 2016 11:03:46 EST XwEZBhXb No.12538 Reply
>>12536
stop being a lazycunt and do it use anki or whatever. you are probably going to get more answers from google than youre ever going to get from 420chan
>>
イッカク - Tue, 09 Feb 2016 00:02:07 EST ns5xHaC1 No.12543 Reply
>>12538

Damn dude, chill. That's what I've been doing. Just looking for pointers.
>>
Rebecca Murdfuck - Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:30:45 EST rs4OV+RG No.12544 Reply
There's no way around it, I found I had to write them out over and over and over again until it becomes muscle memory and drilled into your mind. Starting with basic kanji you can make little stories in your mind about how the character has its meaning based on its image, but once you start to do more complicated ones you'll just have to do rote learning. It'll take a few years maybe but keep it up and you'll be fully literate in the language.
>>
Martha Cheppersat - Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:20:33 EST +Q3qI6Wy No.12553 Reply
Comment>>12536
If you know basic o medium japanese, try Microsoft IME,
start making short sentences that you know like " my name is..."
than the program help you put it in kanji, but be sure you know almost the basic japanese and grammar
>>
Matilda Bravingfet - Tue, 01 Mar 2016 18:01:04 EST frTrHd4n No.12554 Reply
Try reading Japanese text such as manga in which you don't know all the kanji. Every time you find a kanji you don't remember/know, look it up and make sure you know: its meaning, how it's read, and the stroke order for writing it. It may take you a while but I think it might possibly be more effective than just studying flash card type lists as there's context to help you remember it when you read it (the story, etc.).
>>
Angus Turveyway - Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:50:41 EST 2RPCMfTI No.12555 Reply
you should learn hiragana and katakana at the same time. really its just like upper and lowercase letters, same pronunciations, just different looking, or slightly different looking characters.
>>
Cornelius Bussleville - Tue, 10 May 2016 20:33:51 EST 8JAjK7aC No.12585 Reply
1462926831467.jpg -(89786B / 87.68KB, 711x1000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>12536
>I found a PDF file of over 1000 Kanji in it so that's definitely going to help out a ton
if you're not willing to learn at least 2000 Kanji, it makes no sense to even start.
>>
Angus Pockson - Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:26:19 EST JaVU4zbp No.12599 Reply
learn chinese first, the mother language

then laugh at the strange island-folk usage of the characters
>>
Molly Chongerpock - Fri, 05 Aug 2016 16:45:59 EST 2RPCMfTI No.12621 Reply
Jisho is a really good all around japaneseto English dictionary. They even translate romaji. I would learn hiragana and katakana at the same time, since its like upper and lowercase. That way you hve pronunciations down. You can spell and japanese word with those scripts. Also some smartphone/tablet apps i found are tae kims japanese learning and kanji script. I dont speak a lick of japanese but i strarted trying to learn last year. Got lazy and gave up. Be better then me man i gave you the powa
>>
Martin Gunnerridge - Wed, 24 Aug 2016 02:55:00 EST RIIf5LgT No.12649 Reply
Hey so since I'm going to Japan soon does anyone know the best way to speak simple conversational Japanese? There has to be some good guide I can memorize basic phrases in within like a month. I'm not gonna be able to read jack shit but I just want to know how to ask for a bathroom and some ham.

It'd be nice if it didn't try to make me speak fucking weeaboonese either I have a feeling 'konichiwa' is viewed at as idiotic by now

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.