Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Learn Japanese to Survive: Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji

- Wed, 03 Jul 2019 06:05:09 EST bTT0lPs3 No.13001
File: 1562148309849.jpg -(249529B / 243.68KB, 460x215) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Learn Japanese to Survive: Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji
I know this might belong to the games board, but this is a tool used to learn language. I was wonder what the folks here who may have studied Japanese think of these games. I know they are just RPG Maker games but there is actually a lot of care and heart put into these games. If it weren't for these games I wouldn't have entered a world of studying the Japanese language. Because of this game I even bought a Japanese textbook and started to write down these characters forming words. But I think I am dyslexic as fuck because something I confuse the more English looking characters with English characters. I just bought the third and likely final title in the line which focuses on the Kanji. It was discounted during the Steam Summer Sale for a total of $1.79. I now own and have all three of these games installed. I like how it teaches the language using anime and JRPGs which just seems to make sense for a game teaching foreigners who might be familiar with the country through their media.

But I would like to know what other resources are out there that could help me learn this language better. I do wish there were other games that were this fun that taught other languages. It would amaze me if there was an Arabic game like these especially since I hear that language is hard as fuck. Anyway, these games would have a special place in my heart for potentially opening the door to my second language.
>>
Cyril Paddlekodge - Mon, 02 Sep 2019 07:19:20 EST fGqmwyu2 No.13008 Reply
I haven't played these games, but I've been studying Jap for a few years now and I've come to distrust any learning material that promises to make the learning "fun" or "easy" or "fast". The fun in learning is the outcome, when you're able to read a book or play a game in the original language, untainted by shit "translations", or able to speak with a native, or whatever your goals are. Pretty much all the learning materials I've seen that try to make a game of learning or speed up the process tend to cut so many corners that learners come away with a very poor understanding of the language. This is just a general comment, these Learn Japanese games may be a fine way to get started in learning, but beware of all the garbage out there. If you really want to learn it takes a lot of time and effort, it's not something you can just play a game or study five minutes a day on some gamified website and get proficient in. It's a long process that isn't always super exciting, but the hard work pays off over time.

The link in >>13003 is a good guide, I've used many of the recommendations in there and had good success.
>>
Alice Peshcocke - Mon, 02 Sep 2019 15:57:24 EST f/cZ7nf5 No.13009 Reply
>>13008
What kind of native Japanese reading material did you use while learning early on?
>>
Cyril Paddlekodge - Mon, 02 Sep 2019 19:08:26 EST fGqmwyu2 No.13010 Reply
>>13009
Mainly manga at first. It's a good medium to start with because the text is typically not that dense, the pictures help fill in context when you don't know words and can help aid memory, and there are plenty of easier series with furigana. よつばと! is a common beginner one, ゆるゆり and アホガール are ones I like too. Keep in mind that even "easier" material will be hard at first. There are also readers with Japanese short stories and English translations that explain grammar, those can be pretty useful early on. I also really like certain Japanese music so reading lyrics along with the music has been one of my main language sources. Even if you don't understand much it can help you get used to what the language sounds like.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.