Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Writing System Reviews

- Sat, 28 Dec 2019 16:45:31 EST NdN6r1+H No.13064
File: 1577569531464.jpg -(64822B / 63.30KB, 320x320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Writing System Reviews
This thread is for criticizing and critiquing all the different writing systems from around the world. For instance:

>Thai Language
Okay, listen. I have no problem with little circles. I actually sort of like seeing alphabets that use little circles. But there is a point where it needs to stop and you've clearly crossed it long ago, Thailand. I don't know who told you it was a home idea to incorporate little circles into literally almost every single letter in your writing system, but they were lying to you. perhaps your mind has been clouded due to an excess of pad thai and ladyboys, but that is simply no excuse.
>>
Eliza Mallysture - Sat, 28 Dec 2019 17:19:26 EST NdN6r1+H No.13065 Reply
1577571566464.jpg -(65126B / 63.60KB, 320x320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Odia Script
First off, you need to work on your name recognition. Apparently 35 million people speak this language, but I've never heard of it even once before. Anyways I can sum up the problems with this writing system with two simple descriptions: 1.) it looks like an alien alphabet from a low budget sci-fi movie, and 2.) it looks like a parade of bald heads.
>>
Jack Collerteck - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 20:33:25 EST EhLZacL4 No.13066 Reply
1577756005986.png -(39233B / 38.31KB, 1706x629) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Japanese Language

Okay, so they took chinese, which was really complex, then they made a phonetic script out of simplifications of some chinese characters which is called hiragana, then they made a duplicate phonetic script with different appearance specifically for foreign words and/or emphasis called katakana.

Hiragana ひらがな
Katakana カタカナ
Kanji 漢字

It doesn't make any sense at the outset, as you have to come to terms with the sheer volume of shit you have to learn to even be able to parse a single sentence, but once you get to understand it, it definitely grows on you. There is something very enchanting about this overloaded combination of characters.

Also, hiragana and katakana have two different characteristic traits: hiragana is more bendy, loopy characters, while katakana is much more stiff in appearance.

The Chinese characters vary wildly in their ease of understanding. That is, some Chinese characters are actually good representations of what they mean, and some really leave you scratching your head. However, most Chinese characters in Japanese mean more than one thing, because they show up in different words that end up imbuing them with several meanings.

目 means "eye". 川 means "river" These are straight-forward examples.

Two of my favorites are the ones for "concave": 凹 and "convex": 凸

Some are much less clear. 鬱 somehow means "depression", amongst other things.

And then some Chinese characters are just weird. For example, 対 by itself means "pair". But, when used in a kanji compound word (jukugo), it means "against"... which is kind of the opposite of what being a pair means?

It's all interesting.
>>
Rebecca Geblingbine - Sun, 05 Jan 2020 16:47:39 EST PjzTf4Iu No.13072 Reply
1578260859305.jpg -(56460B / 55.14KB, 320x320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Schooln
Here's a fun question: why does everything written in Schooln always look like its being angrily shouted at you? Well, if you look closely, you'll notice that almost all of the lower case letters look identical to the upper case ones, except that they are slightly smaller. In other words, a lower case "T" wouldn't look like "t", but instead it would just look like a smaller version of a capital "T".

In practical terms, this gives the reader the unshakeable feeling that the author is typing with caps lock on, iassumedly in a state of vodka-induced Slavic rage.
>>
Augustus Buzzhall - Wed, 08 Jan 2020 06:25:19 EST XylW+mGy No.13073 Reply
I'm learning Chinese right now, and while I'm totally not fucking with the handwriting at all, at the end of every year I always write a little note for my coworkers saying thank you.

A Chinese friend of mine was like "oh I think this will take you no time at all". But writing Chinese is fucking hard, so to prove it I tried to think of the most complicated alphabets I could think of and made a comparison between them

Chinese
谢谢你这学期给予我的帮助,圣诞快乐,新年快乐

Japanese
この学期、メリークリスマスと新年あけましておめでとうございます

Bangla
এই সেমিস্টার, মেরি ক্রিসমাস এবং শুভ নববর্ষ আমাকে সাহায্য করার জন্য আপনাকে ধন্যবাদ

Arabic
شكرا لمساعدتي في هذا الفصل الدراسي ، عيد ميلاد سعيد وسنة جديدة سعيدة

Yiddish
דאנק איר פֿאַר העלפּינג מיר דעם זמאַן, לעבעדיק ניטל און אַ גוט יאָר

Now, I'm fairly sure from all of them that Chinese is the hardest.
Japanese is similar obviously but looks way more simple and easy to trace. Bagla is pretty mental but I can kinda get where it's going. Arabic looks really weird but somehow I feel like I'd still get to grips with it quicker, and Yiddish is a cool looking language but also keeps it pretty simple.
>>
Sophie Blackfuck - Fri, 10 Jan 2020 23:21:17 EST mJ1DYqDG No.13075 Reply
>>13073

hey man, calligraphy is like, really chill. you could try it if you wanted to, just take it easy and enjoy the beauty and balance of literacy
>>
Clara Gorringshit - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 08:10:52 EST 9ztSsHuH No.13078 Reply
Latin script is fine and dandy but they were really uncreative and reused the same symbols by turning or mirroring them like b, d, p and q.
>>
George Pittstock - Tue, 10 Mar 2020 19:11:09 EST zmKaah/N No.13093 Reply
>>13073
arabic is extremely easy to write. i was afraid at first of the 3 different forms of the letters, but it's literally just cursive. you essentially have a straight line at the bottom with lines or curls going up. p cool

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.