Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Language isolates

- Fri, 03 Jul 2020 15:16:40 EST ENLqPASF No.13116
File: 1593803800811.jpg -(39381B / 38.46KB, 218x512) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Language isolates
Let's talk about Basque, Armenian, Japanese, etc

There's some disputation among experts as to whether some of these languages isolates or very distant cousins of ancient languages. One piece , for example, suggested Armenian was a removed cousin of Anatolian Greek in the BCs. I think it said Anatolian. Could've been Ionian Greek. I've also read Basque could share a common ancestor with Finnish.

What is your position on this kind of stuff? We can start with Basque, Armenian, and Japanese. Do they really standalone or is there mounting evidence/building consensus that these are not truly isolated?
>>
George Coffingham - Mon, 06 Jul 2020 15:18:03 EST DMnU1zMY No.13119 Reply
>>13116
The easiest one is Armenian. Mainstream linguists hold the view that it's Indo-European.

As for Japanese, there are some relatives: These include Ryūkyūan, Okinawan, etc. These languages all are part of the Japonic language family.
>>
clv - Mon, 06 Jul 2020 23:13:16 EST e3rtlhpa No.13120 Reply
>>13119
Yeah but what about Timucuan? The phonetics are very arawakan or waroid but the grammar rules are hardly as neat and tidy as warao, at least to my pathetic indoeuro wordbrain
>>13116
Basque probably doesn't have any relationship with finnish, that's kind of silly. It's probably pre-indoeuropean.
>>
Sidney Fenningfure - Fri, 31 Jul 2020 07:53:51 EST UdkOlbsc No.13123 Reply
>>13116

>I've also read Basque could share a common ancestor with Finnish.io23456ktyui
Technically speaking Basque and Finnish are both non-indoeuropean and have agglutinative features (case system), so it's not necessarily an impossible theory.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.