Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists


fake ID in virginia

View Thread Reply
- Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:05:15 EST XBKVnpb3 No.46066
File: 1516158315736.jpg -(10012B / 9.78KB, 244x255) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. fake ID in virginia
my girlfriend and one of her friends' were driving around the other night and got pulled over. when my girlfriend's buddy is pulling out her driver's license, the cop sees her fake ID and busts her on it. Should she hire a lawyer? it's not like she's about to beat the charge either way.
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Frederick Sirryspear - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:22:09 EST TjWI7Gnh No.46115 Reply
i would only ever hire a lawyer if i were facing a felony, or some exorbitant financial costs

got DUI right as i was about to move?

View Thread Reply
- Sat, 10 Feb 2018 01:47:15 EST cfYutFUh No.46081
File: 1518245235938.jpg -(131885B / 128.79KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. got DUI right as i was about to move?
hello guys i was thinking of moving somewhere else and i've been looking and planning and stuff but i slid on some snow and went off the road and got a felony DUI because it was my second DUI.

my first DUI was reduced or not counted or something because they gave me a one year conditional thing to lose the charge if i didnt get in trouble and i never did but i guess this second one was still a felony.

i talked to my friend who got 2 dui's back to back and the second one he rolled a car over completely on the freeway while he was still in trouble for the first one but they made him do a really long drug program that he messed up or 6 months in jail plus 3 years probation.

will they do some shit to trap me here or can i just leave and go somewhere else new as long as i pay my fines and do everything the court orders? My last dui was like 6 years ago and they've all been really minor offenses no accidents or injuries or major damage or anything.

my fear is that they make me do some program that makes me sit here forever and go through some stupid hoops or something if i get probation how hard is it to switch states with that? I still have free health insurance through my parents for a few months so should i just check into some chemical dependancy/out patient rehab program thing now since the court will probably order it anyway and get it out of the way now?

how fucked am i? is that seriously going to stick as a dui and i need a good lawyer to get it reduced? like if i don't pay someone a fuckton of money i can't get it dropped? it wasnt an agrevated dui or anything i just slipped on some snow a few inches off the road i didn't really fuck anything up or get aggrevated charges.

what should i expect on my first court date? im scared to speak or say anything to a judge without a lawyer and that's my time to sign up for a public defender and stuff like that. could i find a lawyer for like $500 or something and have them take care of my stuff or does it always have to be like 2000-3000 for a lawyer?

how fucked am i on moving? is it gonna be possible to move? i don't see how im going to be able to get anything done here when they take my license away because i live in a small ass town with like 1 street light for 30 miles i have to drive fucking HOURS to go and do anything at all i don't really get what im supposed to do.

i was going to move to a city where i can at least use public transportation even if its inconvienant at least its there at all. what can i do to make sure i can leave? i don't even really mind the loss of a license anyway i was going to avoid getting a car to avoid paying for it plus insurance and stuff like that.

what should i expect? what do i do? my last dui was 6 years before this so kind of a long time and they're never aggrevated duis or anything but i get a felony and all that shit? that seems crazy so i have to pay a shit load on insurance for the rest of my life and have a felony over 2 small mistakes while im young. what the hell do i do now? im afraid to talk to a judge to admit or say anything wrong without a lawyer im gonna have a felony and no car or vehicle living in the middle of fucking nowhere with it being a 60-70 mile commute to go to stores, jobs, and friends houses and shit
15 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Betsy Hagglebune - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 06:34:06 EST VDw2Ex8H No.46124 Reply
i think you guys are confused about basic criminal procedure. He already has a bond because he's out of jail. The arraignment he's describing is a formal arraignment to have the charges read to him. Some jurisdictions may call preliminary hearings (the ones that have to happen within 24-72 hours of arrest) arraignments too, but that's a completely different hearing (and if y'all exercise some elementary reading comprehension you'd know already happened in his case)

So no, op, you're not going to jail unless you want to
Fuck Fessledock - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:02:45 EST bJN3Ctfu No.46125 Reply
>He already has a bond because he's out of jail.
He never said he went to jail. He said he was arrested. Then he received a summons and came here to ask dumb questions about posting bond in advance of his hearing. It sounds like he was released without bond pending a formal complaint. I don't know about DUIs in New York, but that's not uncommon elsewhere. If there's no bond set or the judge doesn't like him, additional restrictions would not be surprising.

>if y'all exercise some elementary reading comprehension you'd know already happened in his case
I disagree.
Betsy Shittingfoot - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 23:27:35 EST 0VaN8his No.46126 Reply
To simplify this a bit. If you were taken t o police station and fingerprinted and all
and let go. You will not receive any bail. Unless considered a flight risk. Even
then. You would likely be free to move about as you wish, just show up for court dates. If you do not, you would not be able to get a drivers salience in another
state. Could possibly be extradited back if stopped and IDd. You will NOT
get a bail bond amount, as in $$$. A personal recongance bond to promise to appear in court on your behalf, not the courts behalf by putting you in jail.

not enough info.

The Millionth Felony

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 18 Feb 2018 03:01:30 EST 8+A1tM2O No.46112
File: 1518940890277.png -(193230B / 188.70KB, 295x234) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. The Millionth Felony
>This one might be a Federal Offense.
I want shoot this chick in the face until the slide locks I fucking hate her shes a worthless ass liar. Probably needs to get her ass beat for trying to get me killed. Before I dump the whole clip into her chest. Fucking Nation of Islam fucking cunt.
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Fuck Gavingfuck - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:52:14 EST 8+A1tM2O No.46117 Reply
I doubt the Bureau of Fuc Boi Investigation is going to actually prosecute this fucc boi, posting all this nonsense.
Fuck Gavingfuck - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:15:37 EST 8+A1tM2O No.46118 Reply
Also I dont have AIDS and have never used hard drugs. Sucks to be stalked by Highly Trained Killers and the hynas in Uniform.
Fuck Gavingfuck - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:36:40 EST 8+A1tM2O No.46119 Reply
I deserve this shit I guess.
I mean how could I not.

Possession of Paraphernalia

View Thread Reply
- Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:34:04 EST PdoeF1dV No.46052
File: 1515774844570.jpg -(39955B / 39.02KB, 340x270) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Possession of Paraphernalia
1 misdemeanor charge in Florida, plead "not guilty," non-jury trial court date on 1/30/2018 without a lawyer

As a disclaimer, I understand that 420chan is not the "ideal" place to go for legal advice, so there's no need for explaining that in the comments. I'm simply stating my story here as a place to vent as well as the opportunity to get perspectives from people who may have had similar experiences, but please feel free to give me your legal opinions, especially if you have experience with similar charges; in fact, I'd greatly appreciate it. In addition to this post, I've been doing what I can to research and ask around town for free legal advice.

It started with my friend (driver) and I (passenger) running hours late to a concert we had purchased tickets for. He picked me up and in a rush, made an illegal U-turn and ran a stop sign on the college campus where I attend and live in a dorm. A campus police officer that we didn't see parked to the side immediately pulled us over before we even got off campus.

While my friend was gathering his 'license and registration' documents to hand over to the police officer, he shone his flashlight in the car and saw in the cup holder a glass bowl (caked with residue) and a single-chamber, black, plastic grinder. He then did not ask us or give us a reason why, but simply told us to step out of the vehicle, which we did. There had been no smoking of or smell or marijuana in or around the car at this time. I'm assuming his "reasonable suspicion" was having seen the glass bowl/grinder, but I'm concerned that him seeing that in the cup holder is not sufficient cause for reasonable suspicion to search the car. Those items could very well have been used for tobacco products; he wouldn't have known that they were used for marijuana before searching the car, so how did he have grounds?

He then conducted a somewhat thorough search of the vehicle, including the trunk. He found five pieces of my friend's paraphernalia that he charged him with and that he admitted to being his. They were in a decorative box which had sentimental value and was not inherently illegal on its own, but the officer took that as well.

He then approached me with a RAW rolling machine and pack of Juicy Jay papers and asked me if they were mine because they were on my side of the car. I admitted that, yes they're mine, because I thought, why lie? He asked me why I didn't tell him about the items before the search, and I said because these items are not inherently illegal on their own. I use them to roll perfectly legal tobacco cigarettes. I believe he asked me if it had ever been used to roll marijuana before, and I answered that it probably had, but no time recently, especially not that day. I was, of course, unaware that at this point my friend, who had clearly been in the majority of the possession, being that it was his car, had admitted to ownership of all potentially illegal items in the car, including the roller and papers that were on my side. But being that the items are not illegal and used for tobacco, I saw no reason to lie or foresee that my friend would say items that were mine were his.

The police officer gave us both "written arrests" for Possession of Paraphernalia. We had the same first arraignment in court, where my friend was approved for the "misdemeanor intervention program" (MIP), which is slightly less serious but similar to probation, and which results in your charges being "nolo contendre;" the case essentially being dismissed upon successful completion. When applying for and being accepted into the "MIP," the court uses vague language which makes the defendant think that their case is entirely dropped and erased upon completion. Only when the program is completed and you receive a "disposition" document stating your case has been closed can you then apply for sealing/expungement of your charges.

I know this because I have done it once before, about 3 years ago, in the same county, for somewhat similar charges, including the successful MIP and even sealing of my record. So, when I had my first arraingment for this case, my sealed record was not immediately accessible information to them. It was only when I applied for the MIP the second time around that I was rejected and it was discovered the reason why is …
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
Lillian Sanninghore - Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:34:41 EST PdoeF1dV No.46053 Reply
So there it is, I'm going in alone. My friend who essentially caused all of this is no help in terms of being a character witness or any of that. One of the free opinions I got directed me to find copies of the "Copy of Discovery" or essentially the Police Report to the State Attorney, which could give me information to cross-examine the officer with, if he even shows up to the court date. Part of me definitely hopes this isn't worth his time to even show up, but part of me realizes it's unrealistic to count on that.

If he does show up, I'll have to argue: a violation of my Fourth Amendment rights, the idea that all of the paraphernalia he assumed was for marijuana was for tobacco and so he did not have grounds for reasonable suspicion, rendering his "evidence" illegally obtained. (Walker vs. State of Florida states While a law enforcement officer may temporarily detain a person for investigation under circumstances reasonably indicating that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime, the detention cannot be based upon mere suspicion of criminal activity. To justify temporary detention, the officer must have a “founded suspicion” based upon factual observations in light of his knowledge and experience. Mere suspicion, on the other hand, is no better than random selection, sheer guesswork, or hunch. The state has failed to prove the third element of the plain view doctrine – “immediately apparent that the object is evidence of a crime.” The mere observation of a portion of pipe, without more, cannot constitute probable cause because it could be a tobacco pipe or other lawful object. Another pipe in plain view case standing for the notion that “we do not find the pipe alone could constitute probable cause to arrest for possession of paraphernalia. Because pipes are used to smoke materials other than drugs, they are not contraband per se.” Seizure of a weapon or other evidence of a criminal offense found during the search is permissible only if the officer reasonably believes that the object sought to be seized is a weapon. A search may not be validated by what it produces.) Or the logic behind arresting me for tobacco products. Or I could pussy out and just change my mind back to the "no contest" and keep the charge on my record, which is essentially what I'm trying to avoid.

Well, I suppose that's enough word vomit for one day. It feels better to just get all your thoughts in one place. Tell me what you think, without passing judgement and what I did wrong and how I could have done it differently. I can't change it now, I just have to go forward from here. Thanks! :)
Graham Gammlewill - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:23:17 EST 8pfWhsyK No.46056 Reply
dress nice, with long sleeve shirt and tie. act respectful.
Dextrolord - Sun, 14 Jan 2018 20:32:34 EST UvVhSC/Y No.46058 Reply
1515979954627.jpg -(97197B / 94.92KB, 600x435) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Didn't really read your whole post tbh.. but I got snagged last July car hopping and my sentencing isn't until late March so it could drag on awhile.

As for my arraignment a few days after Xmas, idk what I was on, probly h or xans cuz I remember next to nothing besides a few yes, your honors and my lawyer saying I did very well.

So basically just dress nice, be VERY respectful to the judge, and know what you're gonna say beforehand. And it should all go fine, just fine

Prisoner's Rights Laws & Helping Get An Inmate Out Of Prison

View Thread Reply
- Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:25:24 EST tmEt2bf3 No.45988
File: 1512703524348.png -(3577716B / 3.41MB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Prisoner's Rights Laws & Helping Get An Inmate Out Of Prison
family worried about an inmate who is being raped, beaten, and threatened with death by other inmates. the financial support of this inmate is also being taken advantage of by these inmates.

can prisoner's rights law help with this kind of situation? it seems that inmates have rights to be free from sexual abuse whether they're inmates or staff. can anything be done to help get them out of prison sooner? they are close to being released but that could be a year or two and this person has been in long enough and they seem to be doing better, as they have gotten their GED and furthered their education even beyond that.

a few people I talked to said one thing or another, but some info was helpful that might be relevant in this context. One person said keep calling many different places, and another said to look for a pro bono lawyer. is any of this useful? thanks.
Eugene Popperford - Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:27:10 EST VDw2Ex8H No.45989 Reply
typical lawyer answer: it depends/it's complicated.

Are there circumstances where you can recover on a civil rights suit for an inmate who is being raped, yes. Is every inmate getting raped going to be able to recover, not even close. Most probably can't.

and notice I said recover, as in money damages. getting raped isn't going to get you out of jail quicker.

Also it's pretty unlikely you need anyone who would take this pro-bono. You need to get a civil rights lawyer and get a consult. They can explain in greater detail why the inmate is probably SOL. If they do take the case they will do it on contingency and take their fees out of the damages (civil rights suits have automatic attorney's fees awarded).

Good luck.
Martha Gimblederk - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 02:33:18 EST DOOcZF46 No.46055 Reply
I can make a call to prison for a fee and tell them what is up. Also can set up moral reparaitions before being released if needed.

Just wondering..

View Thread Reply
- Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:59:53 EST XBKVnpb3 No.46049
File: 1515715193216.jpg -(24157B / 23.59KB, 612x399) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Just wondering..
I'm moving from Virginia into the District of Columbia. As I understand, here in Virginia, if you break into my house, I can legally use deadly force to defend myself. I can also own pretty much any gun I want without a license and openly carry said gun in most jurisdictions, with the exception of some higher capacity rifles.

now, in DC, I can't open-carry anything or own short-barrelled shotguns, semi-automatic guns, magazines with more than ten-round capacity, and everything needs to licensed with the MPD (50$, tack on another 150$ if it's a handgun) AND I need to complete a 3 hour training course to register anything. Another 18 hour course with a portion at the range with an mpd-licensed instructor to conceal-carry a handgun.

Which is fine, I'm not particularly fussed about jumping through hoops to keep a shotgun in my apartment. If I wanted to sell it or trade it or whatever, I can drive into Virginia and do whatever I want with it.

What I'm having trouble finding is information on defending yourself with the gun--specifically, if somebody breaks in (which happens in DC often enough), do I have the right to use deadly force to defend myself? If I'm on the street, it looks like I've got the 'duty to retreat' but its less clear what happens if I'm in my apartment and a crackhead with a knife or a gun from VA gets in. Anybody have any insight?
Nigel Henningville - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:44:33 EST kaMhjWeW No.46050 Reply
I think you're looking for either a castle doctrine or a duty to retreat. DC has neither. You can't claim self-defense if you start shit or to protect property, but if you have a reasonable belief that you are in imminent physical danger you can respond with whatever force is necessary. A jury will ultimately decide whether your actions are reasonable.

Room mate is lying about having paid energy bills, what to do?

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:20:15 EST o65TBgRa No.46006
File: 1513632015120.png -(1860876B / 1.77MB, 2654x1186) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Room mate is lying about having paid energy bills, what to do?
Hey /LAW/ I was hoping you can give me some insight about what are my options here. This is kind of a stressful situation for me and I really just need to vent a bit before I can figure out how to proceed. First and foremost I am dealing with a good friend who happens to be my house mate, and I really would like to find a way to resolve this without ruining our friendship.

We are in a unique living situation, where the house is actually owned by the company which employs us both, so we do not have to pay rent or internet, but we are responsible for paying the energy bills. The energy bills for the house we live in are all in my name (I lived in the house for a while before he moved in), and I so pay the bills in full, and he is supposed to pay me half. (Lol great situation, I'm fucked now right?)

Basically I believe that he is lying to me flat-out, as he is saying that he already paid his share (to me, in cash) when in fact he never did. I have several pieces of evidence as to why I know he is lying, but the problem is that I have been kind of unreliable insofar as telling him what he owes me in a timely manner. I never sent him a text message or email in the moment to confirm I just paid a bill, or anything like that. It has always been just like I'd knock on his door when he is around and say "hey, I just paid the bill, it was XX this month" and he's given me his share cash either right away or a day or two later, and it was no big deal.

But one time a few months ago, I brought it up to him that he owed me, and he claimed to have already paid, but I was skeptical and had no recollection of it, but didn't want to fight about it and it was a very inexpensive bill during the summer, so I let it slide. A few weeks prior to this happening, we had a long discussion about my cannabis usage and its apparent effects on my memory. So after we had that discussion, I changed my cannabis usage habits, and further made a deliberate point to make notes on my phone of specific details like how much the bills were for, and if he'd paid me yet.

So I paid another bill yesterday and just went to go inform him about it today, and also to remind him about the previous bills he owes (3 months now). He says that he paid me for the first 2 months a few weeks ago, which I do not have any recollection of, and there isn't a note of it on my phone, so I am initially suspicious.

He claims to have paid me while I was in the middle of packing for a road trip that I took at the end of the last month. I do not believe he paid me on this day because, aside from the obvious fact that I do not recall it or have any notes, I do have a record of the fact that I stopped at an ATM when I left for my trip, because I only had like 2 dollars in my wallet when I left, and figured I should have cash on the road. If he had paid me cash while I was packing for the trip, I would not have needed to stop at an ATM.

Furthermore, there is the fact that on the day he claims to have paid me, I had just paid another bill the day before (which I forgot to tell him about, because he was out of the house when I paid it). If he had really paid me as he claims to have, I obviously would have mentioned it to him that there was another bill at that time, but I did not, because this encounter never took place.

This is really only a matter of $250 or so, and I'm not trying to be Scrooge here. But I can't stand the fact that it seems plainly obvious that he is lying and thinks he can take advantage of me, and that just pisses me off. I don't want to take him to small claims court or any crap like that. If money is tight because he is spending a ton going out all the time with his girlfriend, it's not my problem, but honestly I don't even mind if he wants to hold off on paying for a few months and pay me when he can, it's not like I'm going to charge interest or any shit like that - it's just if he really is lying to me flat out, then there is really not much I can do with regards to trusting him. So yeah, this shit is raising my blood pressure.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

pic unrelated
Phineas Crigglebury - Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:12:39 EST Gxd27+aE No.46007 Reply
The legal situation is that it's your word against his. Good luck with that. The life skills situation is that you need to learn how to be a functioning adult. If your system of keeping track of money isn't working, get a new system. If your memory is a problem, buy a box of envelopes so he can label his cash contributions.
Nicholas Weshnat - Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:02:04 EST gKgf0FQX No.46022 Reply
Just take this one as a loss and from now on only tell him about the bills through text

Police holding property without pressing charges

View Thread Reply
- Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:51:32 EST M8NCHKvj No.45955
File: 1509576692418.gif -(2384461B / 2.27MB, 380x214) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Police holding property without pressing charges
How long can police hold property as "evidence" without ever filing charges?

pic unrelated
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Nathaniel Cheblingsut - Thu, 02 Nov 2017 19:48:07 EST 0+Kp5gpo No.45958 Reply
Civil forfeiture involves a written notice of forfeiture. Seized property as evidence is a totally different thing. In practical terms, police will sit on the evidence until you ask for it back, a judge forces them to release it, or the law says they can sell it.
Betsy Cripperbere - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:12:11 EST 5YM97a/6 No.45969 Reply
Have t find out how to get it back. Some states can take whatever and difficult o not possible to get back without a lot of foot work. As well never get it back. A gentleman
in Colorado got his weed back after quite a long time, judge, higher court ruled it
be released back to him.
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:30:18 EST f/8heROi No.45993 Reply
you could call the department and ask, or get a lawyer to help you file a civil case, or do it on your own, or forget about it.

How fucked is my friend?

View Thread Reply
- Sat, 02 Dec 2017 01:22:36 EST ZMcYSML9 No.45983
File: 1512195756297.jpg -(45903B / 44.83KB, 480x533) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. How fucked is my friend?
My friend got into heroin last year. We're in wisconsin. I stopped hanging out with him around the time because i dont fuck with that shit.

I knew it was bad when he called me in march. He was selling everything he owns "To pay for a lawyer" because he got busted with an eighth of dope and some dirty needles, felony charge and misdemeanor drug possession. I bought his boom box (i know it wasnt stolen, he had it for years and a friend made it) and dipped.

Now ive been following on the court records since because i'm nosey. He got busted again in august. Another felony. Should mention before he got into heroin he had a weed charge a few years back too. Now hes been doing these 2 court cases, today he got a felony bail jumping for not showing up to piss and is currently listed in the county inmate system.

How long is this fucker gonna sit for?
Edwin Paffingstene - Sat, 02 Dec 2017 01:26:57 EST ZMcYSML9 No.45984 Reply
>felony charge and misdemeanor drug possession]

Sorry, felony drug possesion and misdemeanor paraphernalia

So to clarify, he has a marijuana charge from a few years ago thats taken care of and done with but on his record, and he currently has 2 open cases of narcotics possession felonies that are unrelated and he's also facing a misdemeanor paraphernalia. and now a bail jumping felony too.

Pretty sure this dude is gonna die soon, but how long will he sit in prison if he doesn't?
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:22:54 EST f/8heROi No.45991 Reply
he should go to rehab as soon as possible, even if it's after a year or two in jail.

Filing a claim

View Thread Reply
- Tue, 05 Dec 2017 01:15:34 EST ePYnzdwX No.45986
File: 1512454534084.jpg -(3685049B / 3.51MB, 4160x3120) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Filing a claim
I slipped and fell on a walking path with a drainige issue and fractured my femur. I was filing an insurance claim on my own for a missed salary for 4 months out of work but now I'm considering a lawyer. The accident happend 2 months ago, is it too late to consult with a lawyer after speaking with the parks department who reccomended i file a claim?
Caroline Turveyshaw - Wed, 06 Dec 2017 02:02:45 EST fDWF9fAK No.45987 Reply
Don't wait too long. If women can accuse someone for rape when it happened years ago, and get a lawyer so can you.
Eugene Popperford - Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:28:50 EST VDw2Ex8H No.45990 Reply
>recover for 4 months out of work
>accident happened 2 months ago


Maine Lemons Laws: Should Dealer Pay for Replacement Part?

View Thread Reply
- Fri, 01 Dec 2017 03:25:09 EST 7iJuH1eX No.45982
File: 1512116709408.jpg -(80841B / 78.95KB, 960x576) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Maine Lemons Laws: Should Dealer Pay for Replacement Part?
What are the state of Maine lemon laws concerning faulty issues on cars?

Recently, I bought a used car, my first car, at a small dealership, but I encountered a slight issue with the driver door: One of the pieces in the frame has worn out (which I noticed the hour after I bought the car) and the door won't stay open. The dealer contract allows 30 days of free labor for any repairs

>Bought a used car for $5500 (Chevy Equinox) from a small, independent dealership.
>Purchase contract states that I get one month of free labor for repairs and things, but I have to cover for parts myself.

>The day I buy the car, I notice the driver seat door doesn't stick open when I push the door all the way.
>Look closer, a black piece between the car and the door has been worn out over time.
>Look into it, bring it over to the dealership, he tells me it's a "door strike"
>Talk to my mother about the situation over Thanksgiving weekend, she says that that is something that should have been taken care of before I bought the car.
>Later on, we talk over the phone, she tells me it's a safety issue and that the small dealer should cover the cost of the part, along with the labor.
>Try to talk to the dealer on the phone about the issue: he gets rude with me, tell me that it's an "issue to my liking, not an issue of safety," and that it doesn't violate any kind of federal regulation. Throughout the discussion, he constantly interrupted me and seemed evasive.

>Call a Chevrolet Dealer in another town to order the part
>I arrive, find out it's the wrong part altogether, the man at the Chevy dealership tells me I need a different part altogether: reject the first part and order the new one.
>Bought it earlier today, it cost me about $40.

So, on one hand, this is about whether or not its ethical for me to pay the forty dollars or for the small dealership to cover the cost. Again, I already get free labor, but I want to make sure these people aren't trying to screw me. The people I got the car from have a good reputation, and my dad, who helped me buy this car, seemed to like the people there well enough. It's been two weeks since I bought the car (been busy with holiday stuff) and I just want to make sure that I'm not being cheated by paying for the part myself.

Should I just let it go and consider myself lucky I won't be charged for labor, or do Maine Lemon Laws say otherwise? I tried to look it up, but I can't find my exact issue.

The car is really good, otherwise, and I'm happy I bought it.
Doris Pezzleforth - Mon, 04 Dec 2017 20:06:34 EST SEIQTWms No.45985 Reply
Lemon laws are warranties of last resort to protect people who buy unrepairable junk. It's not what you're looking for. Did you have the car inspected by a mechanic before purchasing it? If so there might be some liability there but I doubt it. And if not, you'll want to do that while you still have free labor.

SSI and saving money.

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 08 Oct 2017 13:33:54 EST Y6izbsvG No.45930
File: 1507484034308.gif -(14260B / 13.93KB, 261x251) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. SSI and saving money.
Hopefully I'm going to be going on SSI/SSDI by the end of the year,

So with SSI you're only supposed to have $2000 in assets or your benefits stop. Now the SSA can only monitor what you have in the bank, so if you never mention it is there anything stopping you from saving cash in a safe at home that the SSA doesn't know about? It seems logical that you could do this and I've checked a few other sources online that have mentioned doing this, but I'm curious what /law/'s opinion and experience is.

On a side note I think it is really idiotic that you can't save money on SSI. So... apparently the SSA deems that if you can save beyond a certain amount, you don't deserve disability because you're doing well enough?
7 posts and 2 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Cornelius Dartstone - Sun, 26 Nov 2017 13:12:35 EST VDw2Ex8H No.45979 Reply
if you're saying "how would they know" with regards to public funds you're absolutely committing fraud.

So...maybe don't do that.
Ernest Sozzleshit - Wed, 29 Nov 2017 02:03:38 EST Y6izbsvG No.45980 Reply
1511939018113.jpg -(132601B / 129.49KB, 945x945) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
From what I understand, only representative payees (people appointed by the SSA to manage the money of SSI/SSDI recipients who can not do so themselves) actually need to keep records and reciepts so I think I'm safe with just sticking cash in an Amazon account or under a mattress or in a home safe.

The SSA actually says you can not legally have more than 2000 dollars or things collected for their value that could be easily sold adding up to that amount, but it's not like they can just search your home for cash whenever they want or have an automatic awareness of all your cash transactions. Amazon credit couldn't actually be sold in any form and it would actually allow me to save for things like a new PC, my current one is getting pretty old.
Diagnosed with enthusiasm Spectrum Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Basically I'm too much of a depressed, enthusiastic, anxious, social retard to get a job or leave the house for anything other than necessities. According to my lawyer the judge approved my case without a hearing on some certain conditions and I'm just waiting on the approval letter.
Ernest Sozzleshit - Wed, 29 Nov 2017 02:26:36 EST Y6izbsvG No.45981 Reply
Note the 2000 dollar limit is only if you're on SSI. With SSDI you can save as much as you want. I'm getting both. I am considering deliberately going off SSI once I get all my backpay. I'm aware that you are given a 9 month period after where backpay does not contribute to the limit after receiving it.

Immigrating to the US with criminal record

View Thread Reply
- Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:58:41 EST Kd1RDGR5 No.45965
File: 1511045921686.jpg -(536005B / 523.44KB, 1024x576) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Immigrating to the US with criminal record
I've been wanting to immigrate to the U.S. for a few years now. I'm from the UK, I'm currently in my last year of my undergraduate in Software Engineering, going onto a masters in CompSci, high GPA and all that. The reason I'm mentioning all this is that when I was younger, I had more than my fair share of run-ins with the police and I'm wondering how much of the "changed character" bullshit they'll buy if I've generally been squeaky clean for the last 4 years or so (will be about 6 years when I intend to apply)

I have a conviction for possession of class As (MDMA) in 2014 and a vandalism conviction in 2011. I also have two theft charges but was proven not guilty on both counts and I think a caution for a small amount of weed in like 2009. But out of all that, two convictions. Obviously the one I'm really worried about is the class A.

You see a lot of shit about "Oh, be honest on the forms" and all that but generally speaking, if I was to try to immigrate to the US, is it easy for them to see my entire UK criminal history? Should I be honest on the forms? I'm wanting to go in with, hopefully, a job offer from somewhere in the US. Would be great to hear if anyone has went through the same thing and what's best to do.
1 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Betsy Cripperbere - Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:46:27 EST 5YM97a/6 No.45967 Reply
Could claim political asylum? Of course that makes things either more difficult or easier. International law is difficult.
Rebecca Werringledge - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:27:21 EST f/8heROi No.45992 Reply
no, don't be too free with that information, don't get arrested in the usa, and contact an immigration lawyer stateside to help the transition.

Starting a medical dispensary in california?

View Thread Reply
- Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:56:16 EST ZeWCeBIE No.45970
File: 1511355376395.jpg -(108515B / 105.97KB, 500x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Starting a medical dispensary in california?
Hey guys I've saved up for over 8 years to open a medical dispensary in California and I think I have enough capital to get started. but the problem is, I don't know wha the fuck to do to start. I've called City Halls in Compton, Long Beach and Gardena and I'm not getting any help other than needing a business license. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this...
2 posts omitted. Click View Thread to read.
Augustus Hittingcocke - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:57:27 EST VDw2Ex8H No.45973 Reply
Not from me. I'm a trial attorney so starting a business isnway out of my depth. I can't recommend getting an attorney enough though. It would be my first step.
Esther Grandridge - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 20:13:24 EST nnWavY08 No.45975 Reply
never seen candy cane cones lol nice

Report Post
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.