Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

studying law

- Wed, 09 Dec 2015 20:40:36 EST YLjaZSmH No.44885
File: 1449711636916.jpg -(38456B / 37.55KB, 517x469) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. studying law
Does /law/ have any actual lawyers or law students? I'm a history teacher who is considering a career change. And one option I'm weighing is going to law school. I'm not really sure what area I want to specialize in, though I know I don't want to do criminal law.

So is it worth it to go to law school? What's the best field to study not just for money but reliable employment? I'm just now starting to research it, since I'm far away from actually having to make a decision.
>>
Lillian Duckfuck - Thu, 10 Dec 2015 01:31:08 EST Kd+sUt8p No.44886 Reply
>>44885
It's a super-saturated field. My understanding of it is unless you go to a top tier school and get amazing grades, you can pretty much forget about getting a job that pays much of anything. If you're super passionate about law by all means go for it, but if you're just considering it on a whim, it's probably not a great idea.

Someone else who's actually in the field can feel free to correct my understanding, though.
>>
Jenny Wodgewod - Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:49:33 EST JgrhRLWY No.44887 Reply
I'm a 3L at a decent regional school.

Law school is not for everyone, and the market market is bad (not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but pretty bad). I have a top 20% GPA and have a decent job waiting on my after graduation, but if I was in the bottom half of the class (and remember you're just as likely to be in the bottom half as not) I doubt that would be the life I'm living.

Since this is your second career you need to think about your age. I'm in my late 20s and it's pretty tough to keep up with school already, and my age is already a liability to employers. If I was over 30 there's no way I would have gone.

As far as specializing, that's not a thing in law school. Everyone graduates with the same JD regardless if they end up doing shitlaw or biglaw or anywhere in between. I'm going into commerical litigation, but thought I was doing admin law my first two years. So my classes are all over the place, i've taken advanced criminal law classes and advanced business law classes with no real rhyme or reason to what I've taken, and no potential employer has ever given a shit.

Law school kind of decides what you're going to end up doing. You have no idea what kind of grades you'll get and that decides what you can and cannot get into after school. So if you go to school don't worry about trying to pick anything, just see where your grades fall and get the best summer jobs you can.
>>
George Feblingville - Wed, 06 Jan 2016 08:11:02 EST JgrhRLWY No.44966 Reply
>>44961
I'm curious what you think I posted that was worth lying about. Also your jealously at what consider a pretty mediocre existence actually brightened my morning a little, so thanks for that.
>>
Reuben Pullykack - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 15:21:31 EST i323Pf8K No.46881 Reply
Yeah, I'm a 1L at a decent regional school in the west/southwest USA - it's in the top 25. I'm only 10 weeks in but so far enjoying it a lot surprisingly. I'd recommend it if you can manage your time well and enjoy active reading.

It helps that my classmates are all matched w me in terms of intelligence, though I feel many are much smarter than me. I don't have an inferiority complex so I'm at peace with being surrounded by bright people who run circles around me wrt critical thinking

It's certainly challenging but if you seek growth you should consider it.
>>
Emma Pickhood - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 13:31:59 EST s4MnW6nY No.46902 Reply
If you actually break into biglaw at some place like Kirkland & Ellis your work-life balance will be absolute dogshit, even if you're raking in six figures right out of law school. Solo practice/smaller law firms are more sustainable, but you're looking at mid-five figures in most cities on a degree you spent six figures to get. Scholarships at T14 schools are incredibly difficult to get, but further down they start throwing out decent money. The key if you do that is to build up your network in the region your school is in; that's how people with JDs from places like Iowa and Minnesota still land decent jobs in Minneapolis and Chicago.

Honestly though you're more likely to be underemployed as a lawyer than a teacher. If you're just looking for more money try and break into finance; most jobs don't often require additional credentials unless you start ascending the ranks, and then most are willing to pay for your MBA. If you still enjoy history you can always fuck off to grad school for a couple years (just make sure it's fully funded). Academia's in even worse shape than law though.
>>
Reuben Nickledock - Mon, 03 Jan 2022 10:53:20 EST yKhtJh1L No.46909 Reply
Corporate compliance can be done with a masters in law and pays really well.
>>
John Huppernire - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:58:25 EST 1aUAu2Dj No.46911 Reply
>>44885
I'm about to take the LSAT and I *hope* I can become a law student at a good school this fall.
>>
Ghengis Dong - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 07:36:14 EST z+QfnKD8 No.46912 Reply
1642941374066.png -(93955B / 91.75KB, 400x224) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>46911
Best of luck to you anon! Report back with results.
>>
Robinson AR - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:17:02 EST W+FRxOLm No.46913 Reply
Hey!! I am in search of a place from where I can get business law and international economics research papers. Currently I take help from this site https://penmypaper.com/ , but I'm looking for more options. And if it's a free source, then Bravo!
Anyone aware of any related site where I can get economics and marketing related information case studies?
>>
Jarvis Budgenutch - Thu, 03 Mar 2022 16:23:13 EST 1aUAu2Dj No.46929 Reply
>>46912
Thanks! I got a 167 and have been accepted into one of my top schools with a pretty fat scholarship, feels good.
>>
Ghengis Dong - Fri, 04 Mar 2022 06:57:39 EST z+QfnKD8 No.46930 Reply
1646395059430.gif -(360184B / 351.74KB, 478x368) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>46929
Hell yea! Congrats. I have flirted with the idea of going into lawschool for years but absolutely can't go into any more debt and my undergrad GPA was shit so I don't know if I could get a lot of aid even if I nailed the LSAT
>>
Basil Funderpetch - Mon, 07 Mar 2022 17:20:54 EST 1aUAu2Dj No.46931 Reply
>>46930
my GPA was pretty so-so, its worth a try. I would suggest taking a free practice LSAT somehow (I think you can do that), and if you do well on it you should try for real.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.