Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Parents died, selling a piece of land...

- Tue, 09 May 2017 14:13:02 EST SkoVvcQ/ No.45840
File: 1494353582279.jpg -(114915B / 112.22KB, 720x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Parents died, selling a piece of land...
Hello. Basically, my parents died, and my brother and I were supposed to inherit their stuff. Some family members tried to steal things, and then they all died too. But they messed up the process before dying (they also stole a bunch of shit, but it was years ago and doesn't matter now). We inherited some land, and they had tried to sell it. So the land was locked up and we had to get a lawyer to get it back for us. He is basically working for free, doing us a charity.

We were able to sell a house (it was pretty much destroyed, father was a hoarder, mother an alcoholic) and we sold a small thing of land. I got money from both of those transactions. Now we are trying to sell the last bit of land.

The lawyer needs tax records or something, and he is trying to get them from the people in another state where the land is. I haven't spoken to him in months. My brother was taking care of everything, but honestly, I don't trust him.

My question is, should I call the lawyer and ask him what's going on? To see if there is anything I can do, or if the land has been sold or something? Since he is pretty much working for free I don't want to make him mad, but I know that's a stupid fucking reason not to contact him.

This process has gone on for years, and i just want it to be over now, i'm constantly reminded of my dead family

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

>tl;dr trying to sell inherited land, lawyer is working for free, i don't trust my brother fully, haven't heard from lawyer in months, how do i go about getting the money and ending all of this
>>
Nathaniel Siffingforth - Wed, 10 May 2017 20:13:05 EST KXNJfWPd No.45842 Reply
>>45840

I would contact him. Even a simple e-mail could be useful in your situation. Don't worry about making him mad, you can let him know that you know he's busy and that there is work being done behind the scenes, but just wanted to check up on how things were in case he needed your assistance.
>>
Henry Willygold - Fri, 12 May 2017 11:26:50 EST SkoVvcQ/ No.45843 Reply
>>45842
I e-mailed him. I asked about the property, he said it was already sold. I knew that, and forgot. I e-mailed him again, basically we have to pay taxes on another property using the money in the estate account. It's been an hour and he hasn't messaged me back.

i think i made him mad, im kind of scared man
>>
Molly Burringstene - Sat, 20 May 2017 02:24:33 EST txBI1x0f No.45848 Reply
Welp, having been the victim of about 3 family inheritances and having been around people with their parents dying. I can basically tell you this:

Forget it. You're brother has probably made off with the money. You got fucked and you'll spend more in lawyer fees fighting for the money than you will get back. Then you will burn all bridges with your brother and split up what remaining family you have in an Us vs. Them debacle. Also, the lawyer probably isn't working for free unless you know him and your brother probably paid him without your knowledge. Depending on who was executor of the estate and all. Unless you are looking at millions of dollars. It isn't worth dealing with because this is all far too long ago to fall favorably to you and as is usual in these cases, your brother did this:

>He was named executor of the final will and testament of whoever.
>Your brother took a ton of shit and sold it or kept it.
>Bought a lawyer with some of the money so he has legal council. (Lawyer can lie to you all he wants.)
>Made up some bullshit story.
>Essentially laundered the money of the estate while under the guise of, "Probating or summing the estate."
>The probate process "takes" years of paperwork and expenditures. Which means the estate's value is being drained from the net or sum and is funneled into your brother's pockets and to lawyer fees.
>Eventually, when all is nearly drained, the value gets sent to the court, blah blah blah, fees paid. Money is gone and you're fucked.
>Process typically takes about a year to burn up the probating process or summing of the estate etc.

Both my parents went through this chaos and my half-brother went through it with his father and his family. Basically, my father got about 10k dollars and a shitty car and some tools when the estate was at least 700k and he was to take 50%. Him and his brother don't speak and that is that. My mother got a shitty 400 dollar piano and now doesn't speak to any of her multiple siblings. Not to mention, siblings who hadn't been seen for years and spent most of their time behind bars, showed up with a TV lawyer and wanted to fist fight anyone who tried to take the "money or house." The whole estate totaling a meager 43k dollars. Which meant that after lawyer fees for every party involved, meant they all lost money paying for council. They just got some pictures out of the whole ordeal and maybe a few worthless and broken trinkets. Same ordeal with my half-brother. My friends dealt with the same bullshit. Even the only childs had people who weren't even closely related popped up out of nowhere and protested the will.

Inheritances split apart families and rarely does the money end up anywhere but in 1 or 2 people's pockets. Half the time, that money doesn't even end up in a blood relatives pockets.

Of the biggest dramafests I've endured, dealing with inheritances is the worst. Everyone thinks that it is all fine and we will split it fairly. Until they see dollar signs. Then their whole blood is thicker than water mantra evaporates and you get their true nature.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.