420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Give us a review of your book! by Thomas Droblingseg - Sun, 04 Dec 2016 08:57:15 EST ID:CV4gZNBP No.68896 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1480859835706.jpg -(5082569B / 4.85MB, 5008x3320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 5082569
Tell us about the book you're reading and tell us how you're finding it so far? bit of a bore? bit of a breeze? "just one more chapter" 3 chapters ago?
>>
Graham Blinkinkone - Sun, 04 Dec 2016 10:10:05 EST ID:jGN+HjRq No.68897 Report Quick Reply
Isn't this what the Bump While Reading thread is for?

Either way, I am trying to read Infinite Jest so yes, it is bit of a chore. I'm almost glad the writer killed himself, I'm starting to dislike him.
>>
William Grandlock - Sun, 04 Dec 2016 16:30:20 EST ID:UMsgPp0v No.68898 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Well I stalled out on gravitys rainbow. I stalled out on like my entire life for a few months. Lot happened. But as I get back to reading it I find it really engrossing.
>>
George Blatherstone - Sun, 04 Dec 2016 19:29:07 EST ID:CV4gZNBP No.68899 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68897

>Bump While Reading thread is for?

Yeah kinda. i dunno, i find bump while reading more of a "im reading this", i want to know how you're finding your book!

Ive actually never heard of infinite jest or the author. care to tell me more about it?

>>68898
I havent read gravity's rainbow but i hear its amazing, its on my radar for sure.

Ive read mostly philip k dick this year, onto Deus Irae a Collaboration with Roger Zelazny.

Its a pretty good book! its very philip K dick, i find myself thinking about it when im not reading it which is always good.
Its so weird reading books pre pluto being de-classified as a planet, in the book Tibor (the main character) stumbles upon an all knowing murderous AI who states that there are 9 planets in the solar system. Which kind of had me giggling.

Its only a small book 170 or so pages, im about half way through. ill probably finish it by the end of the week.
>>
Ebenezer Pottingwill - Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:52:12 EST ID:jGN+HjRq No.68900 Report Quick Reply
>>68899
Infinite Jest is 1400 pages long. The author, David Foster Wallace, is a crazy person who offed himself a handful of years after writing this mammoth novel. Some parts are well written and deserve the acclaim it gets, but some parts are so long winded and make me.hate post-modern lit.

I'm jealous of the guy reading Gravity's Rainbow. It is equally long but from a much more talented (and cool) author. Both books feature drugs, but Infinite Jest seems judgey, while Gravity's Rainbow glorifies drug use.
>>
Molly Drettingwater - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 03:40:30 EST ID:QlrMZJDF No.68953 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1482568830074.jpg -(73705B / 71.98KB, 526x858) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
started reading the oddesey by homer, its neat, on the first part of the actual story
the paragraphs have a tendency to bring about descriptive scenarios which I very much admire , the book itself seems to have some good translation
>>
Walter Bupperford - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:52:17 EST ID:/GiRKOvY No.68966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Starting "Quietly Flows The Don" by Sholokhov

cool, complete intrincated story, it's going to be a BLAST!
>>
Ntnchamp2 - Mon, 02 Jan 2017 00:19:05 EST ID:oyTTCZuB No.68970 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68953

The odyssey is terrific. Great descriptions of violence. You have to check out the 1997 miniseries movie. The whole thing is on YouTube. The one with Vanessa Williams.
>>
Charlotte Clommlewod - Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:46:45 EST ID:9n06QQV+ No.68982 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484102805002.jpg -(3410351B / 3.25MB, 4496x3000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've been reading some non-fiction cyber security books lately.

The first was "The Cuckoo's Egg." It's the story of a system administrator at Berkeley in the mid 1980s who tracks down a 4-cent accounting discrepancy and discovers that a hacker has been using his network as a staging area for attacks on dozens of other computers. Thus begins a year-long cat-and-mouse game between a determined hacker and a stubborn system administrator. It's a good read, especially if you grew up in the 80s or 90s loving computers, in which case the nostalgia factor is pretty big.

I also read "Worm", which is the story of the Conficker worm. It starts out strong but the story doesn't really go anywhere. I guess the same thing could be said of Cuckoo's Egg, honestly. Worm was a very quick read though.
>>
Thomas Pittstone - Wed, 11 Jan 2017 05:25:10 EST ID:c+8yEdP3 No.68984 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484130310101.jpg -(146432B / 143.00KB, 1000x780) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I'm reading Ali's autobiography "The Greatest".

It is incredible, even better than I thought. It's well-paced and well-written and an absolutely perfect depiction of how one man achieved the extraordinary.
>>
Fucking Favinghock - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:04:42 EST ID:DjhHGfPo No.68989 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484780682300.jpg -(322213B / 314.66KB, 1280x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Infinite Jest and Gravitiy's Rainbow get posted here so often. Maybe I should check what they're about.

I'm currently reading 'Persons and Things' from Roberto Esposito. It's reelly neat. He's a contemporary italian political philosopher. The book's about how the traditional distinction between persons and things has become blurry with the new advances on technology, and the changes in juridical and biopolitical regimes, and that the ultimate distinction between both (one that has always been obturated) is the body.
>>
Edward Clacklehork - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 03:15:26 EST ID:F4/G8Wqg No.68990 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>68989

yeah they do and its so weird because since they have been getting a lot of mentions here ive been seeing infinite jest everywhere, watched a movie the other day, it was on his bookshelf, watched the simpsons, infinite jest was used as a "book people pretend to have read" or something.
Its really weird, whats that word for that phenomena when you start seeing something everywhere that you hadnt before?

About 1/4 of A Dance of Dragons left for me, Theres something about this installment of a song of ice and fire that just has me so unenthused to read it, i keep looking over and seeing gravity's rainbow and valis on my table and im so tempted to just dump a dance of dragons but i know if i dont finish it now i never will.
>>
Phyllis Haffingwock - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:06:27 EST ID:4NhWCFnK No.68992 Report Quick Reply
>>68990
Infinite Jest was pushed real hard last year, there was an internet movement called Infinite Summer where the whole web was pretty much an Infinite Jest bookclub. I missed it but am the guy reading it currently, I'm right in the middle. It's fucking long but worth it since it feels like a bad acid trip. Every other chapter is like something from Requiem For A Dream with horrible scenes of people on drugs doing despicable things.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.