Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

The consolations of philosophy

- Sun, 17 Mar 2019 08:49:43 EST q7RgTLNM No.70458
File: 1552826983171.jpg -(29666B / 28.97KB, 480x326) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. The consolations of philosophy
I wonder, what have you learned from a philosopher or piece of philosophy that has had a practical impact on your life?
>>
Hedda Suddleridge - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 08:55:31 EST q7RgTLNM No.70459 Reply
The thing that inspired me to post the thread was I've been reading that illustrated introduction to Kierkegaard, "Kierkegaard for beginners", and my existential dread about choice, which I hadn't put a name on, has been wonderfully dissipated by just stopping and recognizing that whichever decision I make I am going to regret it. That there is no such thing as a life free of regrets and in trying to live one I am torturing myself
>>
Wesley Sugglefuck - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 10:17:50 EST P0ofh1mA No.70463 Reply
philosophy should not be looked as self-help. that would be like considering mathematics to be self-help. I think that all philosophy will have some impact on your behaviour as you will be able to interpret world and not just guess shit.
>>
Hedda Suddleridge - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 10:51:59 EST q7RgTLNM No.70464 Reply
>>70463
yeah well that's what I am talking about, what impact has it had on your behavior and how you interpret the world?

How could you say Marcus Aurelius or Seneca or the Existentialists did not have a self-help motive? Not for someone clinically depressed of course, but for people in their everyday lives, and not to be taken as law, as they had ideas they wanted discussed rather than decrees (as someone like Freud had)
>>
Wesley Sugglefuck - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:37:39 EST P0ofh1mA No.70465 Reply
>>70464
they had a motive of creating a system in which suffering is limited or understood. i don't think metaphysical systems of stoics (which are required for any serious understanding of their philosophy) or existentialists are good way of helping yourself.
>>
Doris Blattingshaw - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:52:48 EST QJgEfxFN No.70466 Reply
>>70465
Well in that case why do you let it impact your behavior and interpretation of the world, which is what I asked you about and which is what you agreed that it did?
>>
Betsy Mugglecocke - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:54:55 EST dw7KoI5Z No.70467 Reply
Plato taught me that democracy is unreliable as a form of government.
>>
Martha Shittingstock - Sun, 17 Mar 2019 20:50:51 EST iEw+WpiR No.70468 Reply
As I've grown many philosophers have influenced my thinking up until I reached Buddha. I've been a fan of Plato, Max Stirner, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Epictetus, Confucius, and Nietzsche.

But through Buddha I encountered Nagarjuna. From Nagarjuna I discovered Tsongkhapa.

There's no going back once you've reached the pinnacle of thought. Nagarjuna showed that all can be negated. Tsongkhapa showed that negation does not mean a new position is being posited. Now I'm studying the 'Awareness and Knowledge' literature present in the monastic community. The different types of thought and mind. I'm grateful to have the monastics of the Gelug tradition in my area and being open to helping discuss and understand these incredibly difficult topics.
>>
Fucking Pittstone - Mon, 18 Mar 2019 08:07:13 EST QJgEfxFN No.70470 Reply
>>70468
That's interesting! Do say more

I'm just starting to get into some Buddhism, the idea of cultivating Bodhicitta appeals to me. It's like that universal love for mankind that Jesus talked about, but without all that higher power taint. There are also practical exercises for how to attain it, where as in Christianity we were just told to love our smelly neighbor, we were never told how on earth to do that.
>>
Lillian Drullerdock - Fri, 05 Apr 2019 03:08:51 EST k9TAbtTt No.70511 Reply
1554448131334.jpg -(2854591B / 2.72MB, 5259x3889) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
What about The Way?

Also, there's John Cowper Powys mayhaps,
"n. Powys combines twentieth-century introspection and analysis of the relations between men and women with the social panoramas, humour and prolixity of the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century novelists. The uninitiated might do worse than to attempt to imagine an amalgam of Lawrence and Dickens, Hardy and Dostoievsky, Proust and Scott. To these great names two others need to be added: that of Wordsworth, in order to suggest Powys’s characteristic attention to and communion with the natural world, animate and inanimate; and Blake’s, since Powys shares his reverence for life and belief that ‘everything that lives is holy’, as well as his radical rejection of the established order.2 It is also a commonplace of Powys criticism that he possesses an empathy with women, an entry into the minds and feelings of women, unrivalled by any other male writer.3"

1 See, for example, Boris Ford (ed.), The New Pelican Guide to English Literature (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 8 vols., 1983), VII, pp. 86, 99, 187–90, and VIII, pp. 68, 100; Boris Ford (ed.), The Cambridge Cultural History of Britain (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 9 vols., 1992), VIII, pp. 37–8. The writers are John Holloway, the Leavisite Denys Thompson, and Wilfrid Mellers and Rupert Hildyard.Goodway
2 For Blake, cf. Glen Cavaliero, John Cowper Powys: Novelist (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1973), pp. 105–6. The other principal work of literary analysis is G. Wilson Knight, The Saturnian Quest: A Chart of the Prose Works of John Cowper Powys (London: Methuen, 1964). See also the seven items on Powys in G. Wilson Knight, Neglected Powers: Essays on Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Literature (London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1971); and Jeremy Hooker, John Cowper Powys(Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1973).
3 This, admittedly, is something that has usually been said by men – but see Belinda Humfrey (ed.), ‘Introduction’, Essays on John Cowper Powys (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1972), pp. 24–5; and Carole Coates, ‘Gerda and Christie’, in Belinda Humfrey (ed.), John Cowper Powys’s ‘Wolf Solent’: Critical Studies (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1990), esp. p. 159. Alice Wexler has commented to me that, while Powys ‘obviously’ had an empathy with women, ‘it was stronger than that’, ‘more an identification with women’ (letter of 22 July 1992)

Anarchist Seeds Beneath the Snow, pg. 93
libcom[dot]org/files/1846310253.pdf
>>
Edwin Drangermane - Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:06:38 EST EdSW6qpl No.70549 Reply
Hey guys, figured I'd post in this thread instead of making a new one.

What reading would you recommend for somebody who hasn't ready anything philosophy related? I'm not sure why, but I think it's a thing that's missing in my life.

Thank you.

nb

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.