Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Now Playing on /m/tube -

Too old for Wub Wubs and EDM?

- Tue, 06 Aug 2019 22:14:48 EST 4Jfhz0/V No.455291
File: 1565144088049.png -(3418411B / 3.26MB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Too old for Wub Wubs and EDM?
I guess I'm getting old. I don't understand the new dubstep. If anyone can explain to me what I'm missing I would appreciate it. I know there has to be some aspect about it that's redeemable or it wouldn't be so popular. And even after it's explained to me I still don't get it, I'm ok with that. Music should change and evolve. As I'm getting older, if newer music doesn't confuse or scare me it's doing something wrong. But in anything I've listened to I've always been able to at least get WHY someone would like it even if I don't. This isn't the case with this newer evolution of edm though.

Artists like Midnight Tyranosaurus, Svdden Death, and even Excision's stuff from 2016 on sound like garbage to me. I can't get into riddim despite all my friends being giant fans. I still like hardstyle, drum n bass, jungle, and old regular type dubstep (surprise! stuff my friends don't like) which is seemingly getting harder to find.

I guess for me riddim is just boring and repetitive and doesnt seem to have any kind of melody (or rhythm? idk the difference), its just noises. I like being able to follow a beat, hear something with a little structure. Otherwise i would just buy a collection of explosion and lazer sound effects and play that. It's also why Tipper and White Bear can be hard for me to listen to, but I can still appreciate the complexity in their music.

And it isn't like I only listen to EDM. My music taste is pretty eclectic. I'll go through phases of classical, rock, pop, punk, and even country plus more. It's just about the only concerts I will go to and the music most people in my social circle will listen to happens to be EDM. But even now, I'm going to shows I don't want to see with friends, and going to shows I DO want to see by myself.

Hell idk maybe 28 is when you start turning into a crotchety "Back in my day music was better" man. I'll go drink some Metamucil and watch JAG.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Wed, 07 Aug 2019 17:50:37 EST kBpb+k8N No.455293 Reply
>But in anything I've listened to I've always been able to at least get WHY someone would like it even if I don't. This isn't the case with this newer evolution of edm though.

That's 100% pure you-getting-old. If new music coming out is instantly understandable to you in all ways, then it's not really evolving.

> I like being able to follow a beat, hear something with a little structure. Otherwise i would just buy a collection of explosion and lazer sound effects and play that.
Personally I don't hold art of any kind, including music, to rigid rules and expectations such as that, and the truth is they do have structure. If it's a challenge to decipher that structure, I love that personally. If it's super forthcoming and easy to follow, it's boring really quickly. Although if it's EDM then it's still relatively simple and repetitive so I don't even know how you can't understand it.
>>
Phineas Clucklestock - Wed, 07 Aug 2019 23:30:43 EST aW17451U No.455296 Reply
>>455291
>the new dubstep

New dubstep seems to have a really intense, screechy sound to it. I think it is the current fashion in dubstep.

>I guess for me riddim is just boring and repetitive
>old regular type dubstep

It does have a repetitive quality to it, but so does most electronic music. I think if you're not feeling the "riddim" then it's simply that the hook of the track isn't really getting to you. Also a lot of the instruments and synths being used are similar if not the same, ie. the Serum synthesizer VST.

A lot of older dubstep was sample based and "the wubs" and bass sounds were layered with it/on top of it. It was also repetitive but having unique samples really added to a track's value.

Maybe you just aren't feeling it because it's such a familiar sound to you now - it's "played out" to you. I feel the same way. I make drum and bass, but I used to be into dubstep a lot.
>>
Sidney Turveywill - Thu, 08 Aug 2019 13:02:05 EST 9RtL9vxW No.455303 Reply
I didn't even realize dubstep as something that wasn't even a thing 5 years ago can have a "new style".
I never did like the rigid genre definitions and apart from that the best EDM breaks these definitions. I did listen to d&b, acid, tekno, psytrance, industrial, lofi & glitch at some point but never felt the need to say that any particular genre "is mine" except when I was too young to know anything else.
>>
DSfA !!4N+Uxa7h - Sat, 10 Aug 2019 06:34:32 EST 3uA6sgR0 No.455320 Reply
1565433272785.jpg -(12432B / 12.14KB, 300x300) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>New dubstep seems to have a really intense, screechy sound to it. I think it is the current fashion in dubstep.

Man, anyone else remember /m/ in like 2009 when every thread on the front page was this, people debating brostep and stuff? Pic related haha

>dubstep as something that wasn't even a thing 5 years ago can have a "new style".
Dubstep isn't that new, people were making dub mixes of 2-step tracks since the late 90s, when garage was the hot thing
>>
I/O - Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:52:59 EST e21jkTYE No.455322 Reply
>>455320
Hehe yeah. That reminds me actually I was looking at /m/ on wayback machine just the other day, fun stuff.
>>
DSfA !!4N+Uxa7h - Sun, 11 Aug 2019 06:01:11 EST 3uA6sgR0 No.455336 Reply
1565517671358.png -(27953B / 27.30KB, 457x368) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>455322 I was just having a look too, I remember these threads! Ahh memories...
>>
Hedda Follersun - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 19:14:15 EST 6FD1tcde No.455380 Reply
Maybe I'm just an old man here but I need something to be happening to the music on stage for me to be interested. If you are not playing instruments or mixing a beat from scratch in some sort of fluid, improvisational friendly way and instead are just basically queuing a playlist of shit you made in your basement then you are just not going to hold my interest. And it has been my experience that most EDM does not hold my interest, especially in a live setting.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 19:50:52 EST kBpb+k8N No.455381 Reply
>>455380
That's because actual EDM is dance music. It's there to be a beat to dance to, and not actually interesting for the sake of music or musicians really. They're typically just DJing and nowadays it may be more common to be launching loops n adjusting some paramaters in real time.

The experimental guys are the ones actually performing electronic music live on stage. I feel you though, that's why I insist on drumming on a kit to trigger samples as opposed to only launching loops and adjusting parameters for my own music.
>>
Nigel Gettingtock - Sat, 17 Aug 2019 06:17:05 EST V3aD6yH3 No.455388 Reply
>>455381
>that's why I insist on drumming on a kit to trigger samples
I am not a dance/electronica person at all but seeing Squarepusher live, his drummer (and slap bass) live really made that set for me. Well that and it was a very diverse festival and having a 90 minute dance party at the end was a great way to end the day.
>>
Lydia Wedgelod - Sun, 18 Aug 2019 11:24:21 EST 4Jfhz0/V No.455395 Reply
>>455381
there are some interesting shows to see. I like going to psy/trance festivals and had an interesting time seeing Amani once who did like a spoken word poem about the origin dancing with a female dressed in idk like mayan garb. Flying Lotus does a pretty neato 3D set. Some artists also have fire dancers. Quixotic puts on a hell of a show. Tipper usually has good visuals. The Polish Ambassador gets down and funky with his beats. And people like Eric Prydz are well known for their crazy lazer shows. Even some dubstep artists or "guys who put together a playlist" will have a giant screen for visuals that go along with the music. Excision even brings out velociraptors to dance on stage sometimes.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Sun, 18 Aug 2019 15:19:00 EST kBpb+k8N No.455399 Reply
>>455395
Well I can't speak for the other guy but I know all that. That's not the point. The point is, as a musician, I don't care about that shit, I want to see musicians PLAYING music.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.