Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /m/tube -

Desktop speakers and general sound hardware thread

- Thu, 28 Nov 2019 15:17:38 EST thuw3dKO No.455934
File: 1574972258234.jpg -(26036B / 25.43KB, 423x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Desktop speakers and general sound hardware thread
Hi,

I'm looking to buy new good quality desktop speakers. The current ones I have are wonderful (pic related), they're a The Creative Labs CSW250 SoundWorks Digital model, but their age is starting to show, I guess (the volume controller died and there are problems with a few of the subwoofer sockets, so I have to use my audio interface for that). Maybe I should just get them fixed?

I tried searching, but apparently I need to spend atleast 200-300 euros for quality. What is it with the price/quality ratio in sound hardware? Apparently in lower price ranges the quality rises significantly. I never understood it.

e.g. why should I pay 70 additional euros for, say, a pair of audio technica ath-m50x headphones when the m40's are good enough? Is the sound difference actually that big and worth it? Or am I just retarded

Anyways, what speakers are you using? Any recommendations?

Thanks and SLAYER
>>
Ian Gunkinbury - Fri, 29 Nov 2019 19:37:50 EST eYaHU/96 No.455938 Reply
I use a pair of VXT8's and they are better than I can hear. Probably out of your price range at like 600/pair used but they are solid. Really anything 300-500 a pair will be solid. I think I paid 1200 for my pair of VXT8's new and it is overkill since I don't have good acoustics or a good control room but I got the woofer for free so hey why not eh? I don't even use the 12 sub though unless I am tracking 5 string bass. It is total overkill when the 8" subs do everything else.

I think the news ones are just v8's. The Rokits are alright. I've mixed on them a couple times well tracked mostly. The Adam A7x or whatever are really nice too. I'd take them over my krk's but I haven't found anything else that is as solid. The Yamaha HS8's are great too for the price.

Just be sure to set up your monitors right more than anything else.
>>
Thomas Gupperworth - Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:34:29 EST rihcEXUc No.455946 Reply
>>455934
Depends what you're doing with them.

If you're mixing and recording and production values matter you need a good set of headphones. If you're an audiophile with a quiet room and good acoustics you might need good speakers.

If you're in a noisy block of flats with background noise at all times and you want something to listen to when the game soundtrack gets old or so you can find new music to load onto the device you then go and wear walking by the road and the gym, you don't need to spend much at all. I got a logitech 2.1 set for about 100 euros. It's mediocre but it does the job, I can hear the shows and games and tell everything that's going on the music and pick up the vibe they're going for. I slap 2% reverb on aimp to give it lift but that's on the room not the speakers.
>>
George Fuckingham - Sat, 30 Nov 2019 18:03:15 EST C+r/I+Ys No.455947 Reply
1575154995631.jpg -(507833B / 495.93KB, 1080x1440) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>455934

I have the m50xs and appreciate the extended hertz range/frequency response daily. Just stay away from Spotify and YouTube, their poor audio quality makes music sound like a washing machine through them.

If you can find quality monitors that include an interface, go for that shut. Super useful.
>>
Basil Siddlewater - Wed, 04 Dec 2019 14:13:35 EST thuw3dKO No.455958 Reply
>>455947

How do you appreciate it? Do you hear a noticeable difference?
>>
Lillian Nebbleheck - Wed, 04 Dec 2019 16:14:45 EST Zsi4a1HC No.455959 Reply
Not sure what model they are but I have two pairs of Sony tower speakers I got like 8 years ago(around 200 a pair) and they sound pretty damn good. Plus you can lean on them so you look cool while listening to music.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.