Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /m/tube -

I suck at music

- Sun, 16 Feb 2020 16:21:57 EST xovbVrYZ No.456275
File: 1581888117690.jpg -(99569B / 97.24KB, 939x756) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. I suck at music
I've been on FL studio for almost TEN years, I've tried Logic, Ableton, and Pro tools as well.
I've watched tutorial after tutorial, studied all the basics of music theory, spent hours creating sounds, obtaining and trying new VSTs, playing with beats, sampling, recording vocals.
I CANNOT MAKE A GODDAMN SONG FOR SHIT. Everything I make is garbage. I can't make a decent melody in the piano roll to save my life. My brain just DOESN'T COMPREHEND.
Am I just shit with music? I try so hard... have these near countless hours been wasted? I see fucking teenagers making money with the most basic shit, like it just clicks in their brains.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to make music make sense in my retarded brain?
>>
Fuck Mullyfield - Mon, 17 Feb 2020 04:42:10 EST TNJ0o+KW No.456276 Reply
Yeah man, change up your work flow. If you suck with a piano roll try a step sequencer, like a tb 303 or sh101 style. If your struggling with melody then maybe try looking up some basic music theory, and learning more about scales. If you know where you're weak, then you know what to work on
>>
Phoebe Sullyford - Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:20:46 EST Zsi4a1HC No.456279 Reply
1581981646529.jpg -(37533B / 36.65KB, 565x365) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Just write some caveman riffs bro.
>>
Frederick Gonkinway - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 06:39:56 EST 9W2aqsr6 No.456281 Reply
Do you have any actual instruments? Messing around on one will probably help you get an actual feel music and that experience could translate to sequencing after.

Even if you've been doing it for 10 years, if you haven't been putting in much effort you're just going to be stuck in the same spot. Play, play, play, and play some more.
>>
Nathaniel Soppersid - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:47:50 EST RtzCA8ZN No.456284 Reply
>>456275
Can't be that bad, considering the charts ha
Do you have a souncloud? Did I take the bait?

Don't compare yourself to others, just havee fun with it
After 10 years, you must have a pretty solid comprehension of production in whatever program you have been using and a basic understanding of music theory, like chords, notes, octaves etc., so just churn out tracks

I feel like I've learned a ton in ten yeears. My stuff sounds shit sometimes, but I just love fiddling with it, and I learn more with every track I make
Not that I don't feel aweesome when I compose a track I enjoy listtening tto, but it's more about the good times making it. And all the bud :)

My keyboard is emo, therefore the mess
>>
Thomas Drannernuck - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 09:27:36 EST vIpReqFO No.456313 Reply
play a keyboard, it doesn't have to be complicated or amazing. you don't have to be able to play chords, just make a simple beat for background and bang out some melodies and riffs on the keyboard.

piano rolls and step sequencers are terrible for learning how to make music, you have to get in touch and feel it.

...and i assume, since you've been at this for ten years, that despite being shit at composing, you can at least mix somewhat good and make four to the floor, or two step beat type of beats.

also: every new instrument you learn (even a bit, you don't even have to use it in your music) broadens your horizons as a composer
>>
Charles Pittdock - Thu, 26 Mar 2020 12:19:00 EST 6MP1j332 No.456415 Reply
discover new genres
(try hardstyle)
>>
Charlotte Dropperhall - Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:31:17 EST DPb5pcmf No.456422 Reply
No instrument ever made a song on it's own. The music/song must already exist inside you and is then facilitated by the instrument. This might seem obvious, but just tapping out notes on an instrument and hoping for a song pretty much never worked for me.

If you don't already play a real instrument, I suggest trying to pick one up and taking lessons. I'm always learning new tricks and phrases on my sax just from playing it and trying to play other peoples music.

Think of it like this...a graphic designer creates images using software but can still probably draw quite well with pencil and paper. Same with producers...they use the software but should know how to create music without the software as well.
>>
Emma Pickbanks - Sat, 28 Mar 2020 20:27:54 EST rihcEXUc No.456426 Reply
>>456422
That's not the point.

If you sit with a DAW and synths you painstakingly think every note through. If you hold an instrument you pick it up and create instantly. It's a different sort of music and writing and practicing some sort of physical instrument changes your relationship with the creative process.

If you are struggling to write but have never played an instrument there is a HUGE chance that this is going to help. You are right though, you need to actually learn to play it. Just holding it isn't enough. You can self teach if you have the drive and enough idea but getting some lessons early on will help with technique and giving you a grounding and is probably the best way to learn for several years if your resources permit.
>>
Phyllis Fozzleville - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:20:18 EST Ewr6lSbV No.456427 Reply
I have a somewhat similar problem. I'm well versed in 4 different instruments and even went to music school to learn the performance and composing side along with a year and a half of production. I sunk a huge amount of time into that shit from age 9 to 25. I played with bands regionally and could have probably went pretty far if I stuck with it but the problem always was that I hated everything I wrote. I could sit down and write stuff that sounded awesome, and take drugs, forget it in a looper pedal or on a computer somewhere and come back to it and realize it sounds pretty damn good. But in the moment, I've always hated every last single thing I wrote and played. I was about 21 before I even wrote a song from start to finish and the process was utterly grueling. I hated every little facet of fucking everything. I eventually ended up writing and doing all the instruments and vocals for 2 full length albums. Then I was like, this shit is just too much heartache and a pain in the ass. So I slowly stopped playing, quit a couple bands, and one day I woke up, saw all these instruments and all that shit sitting around me just collecting dust and decided to sell it all the invest the money into stocks. Especially since I was holding down a day job and never had time to play since it was a shitty dead end manual labor type deal where I was just wiped out completely.

>I sold off everything in full about 3 months ago with my last shitty Rondo guitar being given to a nephew. I don't really miss it, honestly, music doesn't really hold that special place in me anymore. I don't listen to much music anymore and just listen to talk radio mostly at work. Music hasn't hit that special connection with me in a couple years. Last song that I remember connecting with was MX by Deftones. And that was a long time ago. I guess what they say is true, when you get older you just grow out of shit.

I don't really know what advice I'm giving OP but that is my story. Don't know if you just simply can't compose music or if you just hate what you end up with. I'm the latter not the former. I really hate that I sunk all my youth and school years and college on something that ends up being utterly worthless for the majority of my life. I should have went to real college and got a real degree, now my body is going downhill working in landscaping because I have no real skills and being poor as fuck. Maybe I should post to /qq/.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.