Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /m/tube -

Music Production

- Tue, 07 Apr 2020 21:17:29 EST 1tmNGZSa No.456461
File: 1586308649654.jpg -(46131B / 45.05KB, 500x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Music Production
Where can i learn to program drums? by that i mean tempo and such.

I want to be able to program breakcore drums.
pic related
>>
Graham Blackshit - Thu, 09 Apr 2020 18:34:41 EST Ewr6lSbV No.456466 Reply
>>456461
Youtube.

Look up drumming and reading drum notation. You need to understand time signatures and rhythm first. Look for beginner drum shit. You don't program drums without at least knowing how you would go about playing them. If you can conceptualize 4 on the floor or blue shuffle #1, you'll never know how to program.

Look up Hydrogen drum machine. It is very simplistic and easy to get an idea what different beats and rhythms sound like and some basic time signature and beat subdivisions etc. For software, a pirated copy of Toon Tracks drum machine would be a good start. They'd have basic kits for different sounds like trap/metal/country etc. Each genre has its own unique basic sounds for drums.
>>
Hamilton Sublingwack - Fri, 10 Apr 2020 11:43:14 EST Ewr6lSbV No.456468 Reply
>>456467
Well, you're only wanting to focus on drums, and at that, pop style drums and not percussion. You'll find it hard to find music teaching based solely on rhythm. Usually music theory ties into it heavily. Plus you'll be lacking quiet a bit if you branch into making actual music and not just producing beats. Which every hack on the planet already does and spams it to soundcloud.

I'd really recommend starting here:
https://www.halleonard.com/product/695790/music-theory-for-guitarists

Then youtubing what isn't clear.

From there you can start to really explore music and writing having a basic grasp of rhythm, melody, and harmony. Nobody can teach you to write music either. Even if you know theory, you'll end up with bland crap if you just start with, "Hey music theory says this will work! Then just do that." It won't sound bad probably but it will be lifeless and generic. There are a million cats out there writing bland inoffensive music theory shit for commercials and soundtracks and shit.

But if you really are sticking to making beats only, of which there are a billion cats doing this already, you could probably just look up some basic drum notation guides of youtube. Then once you know time signatures, beat values, and note placement/staff, you could just buy Stick Control for the Modern Snare Drummer and listen to various tracks to get an idea on how various drum rudiments sound and how they are notated. Then you could get Gary Chester's New Breed system which is a book that has a ton of different patterns and shit.

When I was in music school we covered a lot of both of those last two books for drumming. And it can take a fledgling beginner and turn them into a legend, or a really solid drummer into a world class act if you really take the time and discipline to do them. Of course, this is all focused around playing a real instrument too. There aren't many guides that I know of because writing music without a good grasp on an instrument will make writing extremely difficult in general. Plus you won't get nearly as much pussy by pressing play on a computer as you will fuckin utterly stomping them skins irl fam.

Youtube probably is the best place since you're new.

>Time signatures and what they are.
>Note values and how they are used, flags etc.
>Beginner drum beats.
>Drumming dynamics and their uses.
>Advanced drum beats.
>Odd time signature work.
>Polyrhythms and polymeters and how they work.
>Expert drum beats.
>Advanced drum styles studies.

That probably isn't the most optimum order to work on shit. But that stuff will take you 2-3 years to work out without playing an instrument I'd figure with a moderate level of dedication. Probably 5-7 at least with daily practice on an instrument like the drums. That is all just rhythm as well by the way. After you understand note values in themselves, you could probably start lurking forums as to which DAW has the best workflow for writing/producing rap. Since most rap is simply repeating bars of beats and shit. I work on metal exclusively now so I've only had experience with Reaper, ProTools, and Ardour. Of them Ardour being my most bestest favorite DAW. Mainly because I've used it the most. And Ardour is setup for not having someone behind the monitors 24/7. But I digress. I can't really help you on DAWs much because I learned the ins and outs pretty much on my own after spending a few years in video game design so the transition wasn't too hard. I already had a solid grasp on audio design and especially 3d and 2d editors plus SDK's. It came quickly and naturally for me at least.
>>
Betsy Bickleville - Fri, 10 Apr 2020 22:28:54 EST 1tmNGZSa No.456471 Reply
>>456468
Thx for the guide.
Also i'm not going to do rap. Fuck that shit. I want to do breakcore drums. That's why i'm asking about tempo, weird time signatures and such.
>>
George Clemmlefoot - Sat, 11 Apr 2020 16:12:49 EST Rn4Hnc3j No.456475 Reply
>>456471
This thread is like reliving my teen years. For one example, I took drum lessons after I had discovered Venetian Snares. (And stopped doing so because i had the opposite of talent)

Put the time in and you will reap what you desire.
>>
Charles Sidgelock - Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:21:25 EST eg23alIM No.456561 Reply
>>456466
Sorry but all of that is not really relevant for breakcore.
>>
Charles Sidgelock - Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:43:17 EST eg23alIM No.456563 Reply
>>456561
Basically for breakcore what you actually need is a daw and a bunch of amen break samples to start. If you don't know how to use a daw then start with that with some tutorials, it may need some time to get the hang of. Amen break samples you can find online for free.

After that you can either:
A) use the samples as they are and cut them up, change em, reverse them, pitch shift them, time-stretch them, anything you fucking desire cause it's fucking breakcore and it ain't pretty.
Then rearrange them, A LOT. These drums have a story to fucking tell and it's wild.
Automate some effects and generally go completely wild OR
B) run them through a sampler so any time you press (or write in arrangement view) a note it will play a specific part of the sample. (which you also can distort in any way you want to actually make it interesting)

There are also a handful of tutorials on how to do that. Personally I prefer to work with the samples cut up and just have each different hit (kick/snare/etc.) on a different channel, cause I feel it's easier to see what's happening and add effects and automation to the desired part.

You can start practicing with any song you like that doesn't have any drums. As you go you learn more, become more comfortable, go crazier and even more original and so on.

Unfortunately the advice given doesn't make any sense for breakcore, cause it is supposed to sound programmed with completely no regard to a persons capability to actually perform it.

Also, forget crazy time signatures for now, breakcore can be 4/4 and stll bangin'.
Start with the basics.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.