Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 10)
Majoring in Math Ignore Report Reply
Cornelius Sollerwone - Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:17:23 EST ID:kQQi+WA1 No.14343
File: 1409710643726.jpg -(2265B / 2.21KB, 176x172) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2265
I want to know are good options for me career wise if I major in math. I just finished my first term and I don't really know what I'm doing. All I know is I enjoy math. The only thing I've had recommended to me is to become an engineer. I'm not great with electronics, computers, or mechanics. I think I could handle physics since that seems like just more applied math. I need college advice. I have a career advising appointment in a couple weeks but I would appreciate your advice!
>>
Cornelius Brebbleford - Thu, 04 Sep 2014 00:46:14 EST ID:kQQi+WA1 No.14347 Ignore Report Reply
1409805974234.jpg -(56920B / 55.59KB, 364x650) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
bumping for math majors
>>
Nell Drennerdock - Sat, 06 Sep 2014 21:16:28 EST ID:Dk8yywxc No.14350 Ignore Report Reply
>>14343

I'm a math major but I don't expect to get a job from pure math. I do it because I enjoy it and find beauty in the subject. As far as getting a job, I'm double majoring in computer science so I can program and shit.

But there aren't many careers in pure math other than being a researcher, actuary, or teacher. Otherwise you will have to get some kind of certification. And yes, physics is just a specific subbranch of mathematics. All the time in my upper level classes I meet physics majors trying to understand exactly what it is they're learning about.

If you like proofs, be a math major. If you want a fulfilling pasttime that will develop you as a person, be a math major. A math major will make you stand out if you pair it with anything else, people assume mathematics = intelligence so it will get you to the top of many lists if you have other skills.

tl;dr math won't give you a career by itself but paired with something else it supercharges it and makes you even more awesome in the eyes of employers
>>
Archie Worthingfield - Sun, 07 Sep 2014 18:17:12 EST ID:xvgqavvT No.14352 Ignore Report Reply
Functional programming. since you need to think like a mathematician to do it. Designing algorithms is another high demand job, especially in the finance/trading industry. Artificial Intelligence is all based of real analysis (proofs) so another field you can go into. Any stats job for the government like an environment agency, lot's of options.
>>
Cedric Hollertudge - Fri, 19 Dec 2014 05:04:22 EST ID:lx6v5XWF No.14540 Ignore Report Reply
Analytics and machine learning is in very high demand right now, and is where a large part of the field of CS in industry is heading, due to the big data problem.

These are very math heavy. I'd recommend getting into computational math.
Learn C. Learn Python. See if you can find some open source projects and make some contributions.

Programs can be very proof-like, in my own experience.
>>
Sophie Turveyhood - Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:50:10 EST ID:4kDzPiCs No.14541 Ignore Report Reply
If you want a career in math you really have to get a PhD. That said, mathematician is regularly listed as one of the best, if not the best, job to have by many metrics. Grad school for math is always paid for. Schools will actually pay you a stipend to go there, even if you're not a top student.

Don't listen to people saying you can't get a job doing math. It has very high growth and almost no one wants to do it.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.